Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 16,604 times

Advertisements

HI i just moved to Raleigh NC and i have a son who also is high function Autistic but i cant find any public school with a good program for high functioning Autistic kids , he is having the hardest time in school because of the big classrooms and the teachers not knowing how to deal with him. of anybody knows a good public school in wake county with promas for high functioning Autism kids please HELP!!!!! Thank you and God Bless......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:04 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
I don't have specific school information, but I recommend that you contact the folks at TEACCH at UNC-CH. They are a great community resource.
TEACCH - Treatment and Education of Autistic and related Communication handicapped CHildren - UNC-CH

Good luck to you both and welcome to NC.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 AM

66 posts, read 129,296 times
All the schools in Wake County are in the same district. Not all the schools have autism programs, so if you need to be in an autism program, it may not be in your base school. Here is a link to the Wake County Special Education page WCPSS: Special Education Services.
Also, you should join the Wake County Autism Society yahoo group. You might be able to get some opinions there.
Our son went to 3 years Pre K and now is in another school for Kindergarten in Wake County. As with most school districts you have to fight to get all the services you want. We have been very happy with the quality of his education. He has had great teachers.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:53 PM

11 posts, read 56,004 times
I would assume the first step to solving this problem is to meet with the special ed coordinator for your child's school and/or guidance counselor, principal, vice princ, school psychologist, social worker. Does he have an IEP or 504 plan? If he is truly high functioning and does not need a 1:1 aide, I would find it difficult to think they would place him in an "autism program". Generally the school psych/guidance couns/ or social worker can provide social skill interventions within the inclusion environment. There are most likely other children in his grade with similar issues that need to be addressed. The classroom teacher should be trained on how to accommodate him and it should be written in an IEP or 504 plan. Whether the clinicians in your school are effective or not is a different story. Unfortunately you will not have much control over that. (However if he has an IEP and he is not meeting his objectives, then the school is liable) The North Carolina Autism Society is a good resource that offers information on all treatment options for symptoms related to autism diagnoses. Also, get involved in the Special Education Parent Advisory Committee (SEPAC) for your school, as often parents who have been in the district for a long time have the best insider information and how to get by the red tape. They can be a great support and resource. Generally the school's website will have a link to a SEPAC webpage.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:29 PM

22 posts, read 80,048 times
Default wake county schools autism program

You didnt say what age your child is? Talk to the teachers and counselors at your base school and optional schools. While all Wake Co schools have CA (Curriculum Assistance), they do not all have the same experience levels. Our son is high-functioning autistic (Aspergers) and has attended Durant Middle instead of Wakefield Middle (base) because Durant was a better fit with the CA teacher and other support. We are trying to decide now whether to send him to Sanderson High, which has a designated "Autism Support Teacher" for CA, or to the smaller setting at Wakefield Ninth grade Center, with a CA teacher. Does anyone have experience with either school or can tell us the difference between having an AST vs. a standard Wake Co CA class?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 14,745 times
I totally understand your situation. We are encountering the same problem. Our 14 year old daughter is performing at above grade level and actually made the A/B honor roll last year. however, the class sizes are large and the school is overcrowded - she doesn't tolerate crowds and certain noises very well - which sets off unacceptable behavior or crying. We would give ANYTHING to have her in a smaller setting with the same strong academic teaching, but it doesn't exist. If she is in the AU resource room - then academics suffer - but if she is mainstreamed then she is overwhelmed with the amount of noise/distractions. If anyone finds a solution for these high functioning kids - pls share. It is a shame to waste such potential simply because they have different ways of viewing the world. They are not going away - the numbers continue to increase yearly - we need to address the problem now & get these kids as functional as possible during school years. My daughter now hates the thought of going to high school. I'm at my wits end.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:30 AM

78 posts, read 226,296 times
My daughter (very high functioning - a grade level above age academically) is in a very small private program which we are thrilled with. Arts and experiental based, each student gets social skills curriculum and individual academic curriculum so they can go at whatever pace works for them. 5:1 student teacher ratio. They also accept neurotypical gifted students.

Like I said we absolutely love it, but it is private, not public (although not crazy expensive live many we looked at). I can send details, just private message me.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCaffo View Post
My daughter (very high functioning - a grade level above age academically) is in a very small private program which we are thrilled with. Arts and experiental based, each student gets social skills curriculum and individual academic curriculum so they can go at whatever pace works for them. 5:1 student teacher ratio. They also accept neurotypical gifted students.

Like I said we absolutely love it, but it is private, not public (although not crazy expensive live many we looked at). I can send details, just private message me.
I she at the Jordan Lake School?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 PM

78 posts, read 226,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
I she at the Jordan Lake School?
Yes, she is at Jordan Lake School of the Arts in Apex.
In the first 6 weeks she improved her reading skills by a full grade level.
She has made good friends (her best friend is gifted) and feels really good about herself.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 14,351 times
We are planning to move to Cary NC the beginning of next year, we have a 12 year old autistic son, he has been very aggressive for last two years on and off. He also has other behaviors, we are looking for a public school with good special edu. program. Please give us your input...so that we get a better picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary