Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 AM

86 posts, read 207,162 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

I took my little one to Cary Pediatrics for the first time last week. I was surprised by one of the forms I had to sign. Not only did it have the standard returned checks fees, etc., it also stated they would charge for: calling to speak with a nurse/doctor after hours and for after hours visits, unscheduled visits, and I can't recall the rest. I was surprised, as I have not encountered this at any other doctor offices. Can anyone tell me if this is common practice or if I should switch offices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:56 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I know the charging to speak to a nurse or doctor after hours is common practice, I think in the practice we go to, it is 10 dollars, but if you have a baby who is 3 months or younger it is free.

I haven't seen anything about unscheduled visits, but then again, I have always been able to get appointments, even when I call late in the day.

Leigh

Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
The thing that always burns me about Cary Pediatrics is their policy that they need 48 hours to get you a copy of your child's medical history. Not sure if every other pediatric office has this same policy. We've been going there for 4 years and this is my only complaint.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,056 times
Those fees are pretty standard around here. I was surprised by them too when we moved here several years ago. In my previous town none of the peds offices charged such fees. I talked to several offices before choosing one and they all had the after hours fee. The unscheduled appt fee is new to me.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 AM

168 posts, read 349,861 times
I take my child to Carolina Kids Pediatrics and they do not charge to speak to the nurse or dr after hours. I used to take him to Cary Peds but I can't describe how terrible our experiences there were and I was very happy to leave.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
It is pretty common. However, a pediatrician I know pointed out to me that if a practice is doing this then they can't be handling a lot of Medicaid patients, as Medicaid won't reimburse for that (at least it wouldn't when we last discussed it). I've seen the other side of it, and you'd be shocked how many parents call well after hours with questions that truly could have waited until daytime.

It also sounds like the "unscheduled visits" is just to get you to call in advance rather than showing up.

And NewUser -- based on my experience getting medical records since our move, 48 hours sounds really really good!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
And NewUser -- based on my experience getting medical records since our move, 48 hours sounds really really good!
Medical records. . . .yes. . . . but I'm talking about that sheet of paper required for daycare registration that proves they have all their vaccinations.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
The fees are pretty standard, and the 48 hour thing is standard too. Our Ped said she gives needs about 2 days to do all of her paperwork on top of seeing patients.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
My ped charges those to but honestly I have (or really my wife) has called them after hours and they never enforced the charges. I would think it there b/c some parents will call left and right for every little thing. This just makes them think twice about it. UNC Hospitals has a 24hr nurse line I know that we have used that is free.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:33 AM

41 posts, read 177,182 times
My pediatrician is a sole practitioner and doesn't charge for stuff like that, but I can certainly see how and why the larger practices do. Unless you've worked behind the scenes in a busy medical practice, it's difficult to understand how many of these types of requests come through the door. It takes time and administrative resources to tend to each one, and that's on top of all the other duties you're saddled with.

In my experience, many practices have rules like this in place to prevent those who would otherwise tend to abuse the system. Whether they actually bill for these types of things is a different story. And no, Medicaid would not reimburse for these types of fees, nor would NCHC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary