Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,261 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Rapid City (or a surrounding town) and would like some info. on some of the schools in the area. We have 5 kids and sure need some help.

I have one that just graduated from high school here in Oklahoma and is going to get her teaching degree. What 4 year college is closest to Rapid City that she could get her degree? What is the starting pay for a high school teacher there and how do they rank with the other 50 states in pay salaries?

I have a son who plays football and baseball and will be a Sophmore next year. I want a school who has a great football program. If he has to give up his dream here to play the rest of his high school days with his friends, I would at least like to provide him with a school that has a good football team. He's 6'2" and about 120 lbs.

Next, I have a son that is in Middle School and plays both of these sports. Any suggestions there?

Lastly, I have two young daughters that are into softball. Does South Dakota play softball through their school systems or is it only in summer leagues?

I thought about Douglas in Box Elder, any suggestions? Lost - please help!
Joanna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 10:12 PM

119 posts, read 585,878 times
I grew up in Rapid City and most of my family still lives there, so I will try to help with what I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhems07 View Post
My husband and I are moving to Rapid City (or a surrounding town) and would like some info. on some of the schools in the area. We have 5 kids and sure need some help.

I have one that just graduated from high school here in Oklahoma and is going to get her teaching degree. What 4 year college is closest to Rapid City that she could get her degree? What is the starting pay for a high school teacher there and how do they rank with the other 50 states in pay salaries?
Black Hills State University in Spearfish (about 60 miles away), is a really good teaching college, and if you live in Rapid City for the first 2 years or so they have classes at the air force base.

Quote:
I have a son who plays football and baseball and will be a Sophmore next year. I want a school who has a great football program. If he has to give up his dream here to play the rest of his high school days with his friends, I would at least like to provide him with a school that has a good football team. He's 6'2" and about 120 lbs.
The two high schools are Rapid City Stevens and Central. Football games were big events when I was in high school. My little sister goes to Stevens and football still seems like a big thing.
Quote:
Next, I have a son that is in Middle School and plays both of these sports. Any suggestions there?

Lastly, I have two young daughters that are into softball. Does South Dakota play softball through their school systems or is it only in summer leagues?

I thought about Douglas in Box Elder, any suggestions? Lost - please help!
Joanna
I am not sure on the middle schools as it's been awhile for me! My best friend played softball growing up and it wasn't through the schools then. I'm not sure about now. They just put soccer in the schools in 1998. Here is the link to the parks and rec department, I thought that may help you a bit. Parks & Rec Home Page (http://www.rcgov.org/parks_recreation/parks_recreation_home.htm - broken link)

I hope this helps a little bit. Rapid City is a nice town.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:45 PM

Default Douglas School District

Thanks! What about the Douglas School District? And what about living in Box Elder?

Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,719,767 times
I live in Rapid City and I just graduated a few years back so I'll give you some info from my perspective. Black Hills State University is in Spearfish which is about 45 miles northwest of Rapid City. Also, the South dakota School of Mines and Technology (SDSM&T) is in Rapid City and it is a very prestigious engineering and mathematical school. Over 90% of graduates have a job waiting for them and it is constantly ranked a best buy and one of the best engineering schools in the nation.

As for football programs, I would try Saint Thomas More High School, and I'm not just saying that because I graduated from there. It really has one of the best football and athletic programs in the state and they constantly go to state tournaments. I did not even play football, nor was I an avid supporter, and I believe that STM is where a player would get the most attention and playtime.

Saint Thomas More also has a middle school/elementary school (Saint Elizabeth Seton) and that is also where I went to grammar school.

Public schools in Rapid City are also exceptional choices.

Teacher pay in South dakota is amongst the lowest in the state, but you have to consider the low cost of living in South Dakota and the absence of income tax. It evens out in the end.

I did not play baseball, but for girls ASA is very popular and other softball programs run throughout the summer. There are no high school softball teams.

I still live in Rapid City and I am happy that I grew up here. It is a very family oriented city.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:51 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
Jb, welcome to the forum. Contrary to the belief of a lot of people in the country, So. Dak. has an excellent educational system. I hope you find the area and the schools you're looking for.

Just wanted to let you know that we've been to Tulsa and love it there. Actually, it's a bit too populated for us, but it's a beautiful city. Grove, which isn't far from you, is just the perfect little spot except for ice storms. I think you'll be surprised at how similar the people in our two states are and that's a good thing.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
JPP

31 posts, read 78,353 times
Hi,
My husband and I grew up in Bartlesville and my Mom lives in Tulsa. We graduated from OSU. We have that Okie connection. We've lived in Rapid City for years & love it here. What brings you to Rapid?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 AM

59 posts, read 194,812 times
You should love Rapid. Nice city for the size and lots of "you alls" there because of the base. You will find many "southern" flavor churches there that you find nowhere else in SD. I believe all their schools will be fine and the college question has been answered. If you want a small town with good sports oportunities, you might consider New Underwood. Real nice people there, bedroom town to Rapid, We used to live not far from there.

Why are you leaving the Green Country, if I migh ask?

My great grandparents on mom's side left SD to live in OK B4 the land run. They were Quaker missionaries to the Osage. My grandma was born at Vera. If you don't know where that is it's near Skiatook. We still have cousins there and in Collinsville. My great grandparents retired from their mission work and moved back to SD. After they left, they struck oil on the farm in Ok where they had lived. They then moved to Buffalo Trading Post, SD. From there to Humboldt, and finally to a farm south of Sioux Falls. They are long gone and unfortunately sold out too soon. Their farm on the south side of Sioux Falls is now located right on 41st street and town grew up around it. Oh well, guess we were never meant to be rich.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:14 PM

We are moving because my husband will have a new job. I love it here and have been here all of my life. We have friends that live in Collinsville. I actually grew up in Mounds and went from K-12th there but moved to Jenks for the kids to have a better school system.
Thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:34 PM

14 posts, read 43,684 times
I was not raised here, but have lived here since 2003... I have become interested in schools as I have young children... As far as football goes... I have paid a great deal of attention to this as I have a nephew from Sioux Falls that comes here to play...the Rapid City public school football teams did HORRIBLE this year... the St. Thomas Moore team did great and always hear about them on the sports news... as far as school wise I can't answer that.
For softball, I play on a summer womens team thru the city...it's more for fun then compitition tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City