Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 05:34 PM

15 posts, read 36,054 times

Advertisements

Hey.

Well, here's my situation. I'm a middle-aged man on Social Security Disability (SSDI) for "mental" issues. Depression, Anxiety, and Aspergers. I'm far from dangerous (just the opposite), but prefer to stay away from people except for occasional periods of brief contact. I currently live in a highly populated East Coast area, and can no longer afford to live here. My SSDI payments are about $1600/month ... and that is tax-free.

So...where to go? Especially on such a budget...

I started researching the costs associated with various states, the population levels, the safety, etc... and then I saw South Dakota.

Let me tell you why South Dakota looks so attractive to me:

1 - It looks like on the the East sides and West sides of SD, affordable rents can be found.

2 - Fuel prices are very reasonable. Sioux Falls is currently hovering around 2.00/gal and Rapid City @ 2.20/gal. That is very reasonable to me.

3 - Utility costs are also low. South Dakota ranks well in Electricity costs...quite cheap compared to many states.

4 - No vehicle inspections...not even for emissions. This is big. I'd hate for a state to force my car off the road (or force me to pay a costly repair) because the "Door ajar" light won't go off on the dashboard, even though the door is closed.

5 - Another huge one - I can get a Driver's License (and vehicle registration) with only a Private Mailbox by filling out an affidavit as a "Traveler" that promises to come back to South Dakota once the traveling is complete. While this is likely meant for RVers...this could come in handy for me if I can't find a place right away. I can establish a connection with the state, get my bank accounts set up, car insurance, etc... and stay at Private campsites (I have decent tent camping gear) or State Parks. It appears SD lets you stay in State Parks 2 weeks of every month...which is generous! Prices are nice, too...and they have showers!. If worse comes to worse, I can probably find an extended stay motel, but I prefer to isolate and love camping alone...so I would probably go with a campsite until I find a place.

6 - South Dakota, like many states, does not tax Social Security benefits at all. Another Plus.

7 - South Dakota Sales tax is reasonable @ 6.5% in most areas.

8 - South Dakota does not seem to have a lot of diversity, which makes me comfortable. I don't want to appear racist, but a guy like me can get uncomfortable and anxious in areas that are heavily populated by minorities. Sorry, but it is what it is. As long as I stay away from the Indian reservations, it seems South Dakota is pretty homogeneous and safe. I hope this preference doesn't offend anyone.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

I'd also prefer to be in area where it's no more than an hour drive to an SSA office, so it looks like Rapid City in the West...or Sioux Falls in the East. Those areas are also likely to have plenty of Shrinks I would assume? I'd need to visit one at least every 3 months to talk and refill my anxiety medication.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

I'd be looking to get a studio/efficiency apartment. I don't want too much space. 350 to 400 square feet is absolutely plenty for me, and is easy on the utility bill in case I have to pay one. Doesn't take much to heat such a small place.

I'm looking to spend anywhere from 450 to 600 per month for a place. At 600, I'd hope for the utilities to be included. Though my income is only 1600 NET/month, my credit rating is 748, and I pretty much have no other bills...no car payments...Credit Card gets paid in full every month...nothing else other than car insurance. I'm pretty darn responsible with money.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

So...what do you think? Based on what you now know about me, and based on what I'm willing to pay, what area would you recommend? Will my cheap budget allow me a safe place in a decent neighborhood in the SF or RC areas...or is it wishful thinking?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. It would be a big move for me...and I'd be going out there with nothing more than my old car, my clothes, and not a whole lot else. I'm getting anxious at the thought of it all, but I need to do something. Looking to start over fresh, live in peace, and not spend a whole lot while doing it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 06:02 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,062 times
Do you have any other source of income? That seems like it would be tough to live on just about anywhere.

I know nothing about SD, other than what my own research has yielded. Looks like a very nice state to me.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
Do you have any other source of income? That seems like it would be tough to live on just about anywhere.

I know nothing about SD, other than what my own research has yielded. Looks like a very nice state to me.
I cannot work while on SSDI...at least not for another 2 years. After that, I think I can work up to 20 hours a week to supplement my SSDI. But, they COULD use that information to determine that I can work full time, and take away the SSDI. In all honesty, my anxiety is so bad that I can't last for very long periods of time around people, so I find it unlikely that I would be able to work...even 2 years from now. For what it's worth, I do have a good amount of money in the bank in case of emergency, and have a growing IRA...but I can't really touch the IRA right now without a 10% penalty due to my age.

Anyway, in answer to your concern about being able to survive on $1600 NET/month. Let's say I find something @ $600/month including utilities. Then I pay $50 for internet, $40 for car insurance, $200 food, $100 gas (remember, I don't work...not much driving. $100 is 3 tanks of gas in a month...or 1000 miles. Plenty IMO).

So..... $600 + $50 + $40 + $200 + $100 = $990. That leaves me with $610 left over with which to split between entertainment/activities and Savings. I figure I could pee away $360/month on entertainment/activities and still save $250/month. Hell, I could probably save more and do fewer activities. Most of my activities would likely be nature hiking and amateur astronomy anyway. That would only involve gas money to drive to locations where I could partake in my hobbies. Wouldn't amount to much....

And remember, if anything happens where I need emergency money (like a car breaking down)...I have a good amount of money in the bank to use in case of emergency.

I'm really thinking I can do this and actually live just fine.

My biggest concern is the quality of the neighborhood I could find for my 450 to 600 rent budget.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:47 PM

I just had another thought. I wonder if there are many living complexes in SD that are rent controlled for Seniors and people on disability. If it were just a low income place (Section 8) that lets anyone in, that could make for a tough environment; but if it's a place that only accepts seniors or younger people on Social Security Disability...then it could actually a very PEACEFUL place. There must be places like that, no?

In any case, I really don't think that kind of place would be a requirement for me...I think I can afford to do this without having to live in a rent controlled complex. But it's something to think about...

Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 PM

507 posts, read 661,686 times
Your search kind of piqued my curiosity...yes, there are income-related apartments in Sturgis,
which is not far from Rapid City. I checked the local newspaper and found apartments under
or at 600 per month in: Belle Fourche (a full hour from RC), Spearfish & Deadwood (both at
45 min from RC) and Sturgis (about 30 min from RC). I've noticed for some time that rentals in Spearfish are affordable even though real estate is higher. These would all be possibilities, and although my bias is toward small towns, I think you would find more of a concern in Rapid City itself as far as what kind of neighborhoods are affordable. The Rapid City Journal may be your
source for Rapid City rentals.

The local newspaper website in the Belle Fourche/Spearfish/Deadwood/Sturgis area is:
www.bhpioneer.com

Two other nice communities at an hour from Rapid City to maybe consider are Hot Springs and
Wall. Hot Springs is south, and Wall is east. Wall is a small town exactly an hour from RC.
Don't know about quantity of rentals-I imagine the infamous drug store has built their own
housing for their seasonal help. From Wall you could head over to Badlands NP for astronomy.
This part of South Dakota (Black Hills region) is tourist country in the summer, but there are
still places to find solitude. Plenty of hiking close by and various camping places as well. It
gets a little crowded during Motorcycle week, but that's when the folks I know there will get
out of town.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 PM

Wyoprarie,

What a great, informative post. Thank You for all the information. I just looked at the bhpioneer link you provided, and every single 1 bedroom or studio is within my budget...even the one for $625, as they include cable along with all of the other utilities. Some of the listings are actually below my anticipated budget.

I like how you addressed the smaller towns outside of Rapid City. I would only need to go into Rapid City to see a therapist once every 3 months...so a 2 hour round trip once every three months is hardly a big deal...and those areas outside of the city are probably more peaceful. I do realize Sturgis gets insane once a year, but that lasts merely a week...and I can stay inside while all of that is happening.

Thanks also for addressing the hiking and astronomy.

I hear that Western SD has dryer Summer heat than Eastern SD...which I like. I don't mind the crazy snow that I hear the Black Hills region can get (especially Lead). I'm sure roads get plowed.

One question about the type of people in Western SD: If I'm in a smaller town, do you think the people would leave me alone to be "that quirky guy" and allow me to live in peace...or do you think there would be nosiness, gossip, and hassle?

If anyone else wants to chime in on ideas or places for me to look, please feel free. Even if you want to discuss the other side of the state (Sioux Falls)...I'm totally open to ideas.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:15 PM

507 posts, read 661,686 times
They do seem to plow pretty good in SD. Lead and Deadwood can get some big snows,
but it's not all the time. Hot Springs is milder. Spear, Belle, and Sturgis not all that bad.

I really don't think you would have to worry about your reception. Wall might be kind of
insular, because there are just about 600 people I believe. I know "cowboy types" there
and they are friendly, they just mind their own business. Deadwood, IMO, has no shortage
of "quirky" folks. Spear is big enough that I think you would do fine. Other than Wall,
these aren't real small towns, they all see lots of different visitors and I'd say very live and
let live type western attitude. Small towns in eastern SD are possibly a bit more insular.

When I come from WY, I notice the humidity in the Black Hills. It's not bad at all, just
enough to notice coming from higher/drier. Certainly less humidity than in eastern SD.
You will have to check it out, maybe it will work out for you.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:24 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Western South Dakota is a "live and let live" mentality. You mind your business and you'll usually not be bothered. Most west river towns have a Native American component. With your budget there is a strong likelihood that you'll be neighbors with someone who is Native American.

Sioux Falls might be a better fit. The $400 to $600 a month for rent won't get you any place great in Rapid City. In a smaller town you can likely find a decent place to live in that range.

It seems like you have a fairly sensible plan that could work, at least on paper.

You also might want to look at Sheridan Wyoming. Or even Billings Montana.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:13 PM

Thanks guys.

SD4020,

In general, how do the Native Americans get along with the white folk in SD? Is there any animosity? Crime?

In a nutshell, it sounds like you're telling me if I want to go West...do what Wyoprarie recommends and look at places within an hour of RC...and I should be able to find pretty good accommodations. If I want to actually be within city limits, I should then lean towards Sioux Falls...as I could probably get a nicer place for my budget.

Right now, I'm leaning towards going West near Rapid City...but outside of the city...in the areas that Wyoprarie researched.

When I lived in PA, which has a higher standard of living than SD, I lived in great complexes for $600 + utilities. Yeah, they were cheaper than most places in PA, but there was no crime...all homogenous. Just good hard-working people. I have a good feeling I can find a place in the 550 to 600 range in the areas outside of RC that will be pretty homogenous and less nerve-racking for me. At least that's what I hope for.

I think what I may have going for me is a good rental history, a very solid credit rating, money in the bank, and the ability to put down a security deposit...or first and last month's rent...whatever they want to call it. Many people don't have good credit, a positive rental history, or the ability to put initial money down on an apartment, so they have to settle for seedy Motels or live in crime-ridden areas.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I'm feeling really good about this right now.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revellion View Post
Thanks guys.

SD4020,

In general, how do the Native Americans get along with the white folk in SD? Is there any animosity? Crime?

In a nutshell, it sounds like you're telling me if I want to go West...do what Wyoprarie recommends and look at places within an hour of RC...and I should be able to find pretty good accommodations. If I want to actually be within city limits, I should then lean towards Sioux Falls...as I could probably get a nicer place for my budget.

Right now, I'm leaning towards going West near Rapid City...but outside of the city...in the areas that Wyoprarie researched.

When I lived in PA, which has a higher standard of living than SD, I lived in great complexes for $600 + utilities. Yeah, they were cheaper than most places in PA, but there was no crime...all homogenous. Just good hard-working people. I have a good feeling I can find a place in the 550 to 600 range in the areas outside of RC that will be pretty homogenous and less nerve-racking for me. At least that's what I hope for.

I think what I may have going for me is a good rental history, a very solid credit rating, money in the bank, and the ability to put down a security deposit...or first and last month's rent...whatever they want to call it. Many people don't have good credit, a positive rental history, or the ability to put initial money down on an apartment, so they have to settle for seedy Motels or live in crime-ridden areas.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I'm feeling really good about this right now.
I tend to agree with Wyopraire relating to smaller towns. As far as the Native American relations there have been moments of tension from time to time.

The choices are more limited in smaller towns. However, rent is cheaper. A decent 2 bedroom apartment rents for more than a mortgage payment on a 3 bedroom house in Rapid City. Custer and Hot Springs are nice small towns in the Southern Hills.

Hot Springs is growing on me. I work down there a couple times a month. Custer is a nice little town that I enjoy. Summer time Custer is a bustling little town during tourist season. The rest of the year, it is a sleepy town. Hot Springs is even keeled year round.

Initially, when I saw the post I had some concerns. However, I think you have done your due diligence. I think you would do just fine out west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City