Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 03:50 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The uncrowded, natural surroundings of Western South Dakota are ideal for walking, hiking and backpacking. Black Hills National Forest and the surrounding State and National Parks offer more than 450 miles of both nature walks and bonafide hiking systems on approximately 75 different trails throughout the Black Hills. Hiking trails range in length and difficulty. Some are pay-to-play, while others are available for public use at no cost.
Looks like there are a variety of trails and lots of miles for hiking in that area. 450 miles is a lot of trails although 220 of them are part of two long trails. I've heard that the trails there were very well maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 06:01 PM

123 posts, read 216,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Looks like there are a variety of trails and lots of miles for hiking in that area. 450 miles is a lot of trails although 220 of them are part of two long trails. I've heard that the trails there were very well maintained.
Loving the sound of that, for sure. That’d keep us busy. Anytime we’ve stopped in the black hills we’ve had a blast and have moved the terrain and hiking.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:21 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobucks! View Post

2) What are the public schools like? Thinking about for our children and for me as a teacher in terms of quality of the job, retirement, etc. I'm not a fan of unions. Wondering if SD is a right to work state.
Job quality/pay for SD teachers is pretty abysmal (-historically the lowest-paying teacher state in nation but may have nosed above last place in recent years)-- I would argue this is in large part *because* it has long been illegal for SD teachers to strike. On that note, I find it interesting you're opposed to unions while simultaneously being concerned with job quality, retirement benefits, etc.

And as SD often is the #1 testing ground for junk legislation, you'll be happy to know that SD is a "right to work" state.

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 05-11-2021 at 11:19 PM..

Old 05-13-2021, 09:05 PM

40 posts, read 38,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Job quality/pay for SD teachers is pretty abysmal (-historically the lowest-paying teacher state in nation but may have nosed above last place in recent years)-- I would argue this is in large part *because* it has long been illegal for SD teachers to strike. On that note, I find it interesting you're opposed to unions while simultaneously being concerned with job quality, retirement benefits, etc.

And as SD often is the #1 testing ground for junk legislation, you'll be happy to know that SD is a "right to work" state.
Comical you feel unions guarantee job quality or better benefits.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post

Thank you for the response. Being anti-union certainly doesn’t mean I’m not permitted to desire a good job with benefits....or are you implying only a union can provide that?

I believe it is possible to have a good teaching job in a right to work state although I’d rather not be in teaching. I have two in college and do what I have to do, even if it means having my wages confiscated by my union which I have no choice but to belong to.

Also, for logic purposes, in case you belong in such a thing, Wyoming is a right to work state...and....Their schools are some of the best in the country.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:01 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
With respect to MT, the most liberal spot in Montana is in town Missoula. Missoula County and the northern part of Ravalli County may be bluish and purplish here and there. The further south you go in Ravalli you go, the redder it gets. 31% in Ravalli voted Democratic the last Presidential election, 67% Republican and the rest Independent.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:15 PM

Good info! Thank you. I want to stay away from blue!!!!

Old 05-31-2021, 07:53 PM
JPP

31 posts, read 78,342 times
To say the SD school system sucks, comes from an individual who states he lives 60 miles south of Rapid City, so he must be talking about the Hot Springs schools, not RC schools. RC schools are good. Of course it takes parents teaming with teachers to make sure their children are giving 150% to their school work. We all know the kids who work the hardest in school have parents who insist on it & are engaged in their education. Like everything, you get out of it, what you put into it.
At this time, SD does not have a state income tax. Therefore, property taxes are sky high to pay for the public schools. That being said, SD teachers are some of the lowest paid teachers in the country. Whereas the public wants teachers to be paid more generously, they are not willing to increase their property taxes to do so, so wages stay low. If your wife makes a good living, come on to the Black Hills of SD. It's beautiful in the Black Hills. If she doesn't, look at WY, as their teachers receive wages greater than SD.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:23 PM
JPP

31 posts, read 78,342 times
Questions:
1) Yes. Real estate, like everywhere else presently, has shot through the roof.

2) Good schools. Thankfully a Right to Work state.

3) Healthy catholic school system plus a healthy Christian middle and high school. There is a significant number of Bible believing Christians in the community but plenty of others as well.

4) RC, also most of SD, is conservative. It is a safe state, sadly most crime is one ethnic group on itself.

5) The eastern part of the state is humid with mosquitoes. The Black Hills are dry, with few mosquitoes. That's huge to me as mosquitoes make me miserable. It gets hot but not ridiculous. Air conditioners are the norm.
Winters are long! We have plenty of snow but usually it melts within a week or so. RC is very sunny in the winter, rarely gray. It can be deceiving how cold it is outside when the sun is brightly shining. That's a huge help to get through winter. We also have plenty of winter days that are in the 40's & higher so a pleasant reprieve. Much of the winter we keep a coat in the backseat of the car and easily get around with a sweater or lighter jacket & gloves. One indication that the winters are long is planting gardens is not recommended until Memorial Day due to the possibility of frost.

Old 01-15-2022, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
What type of outdoor activities are you looking for? There is fishing and hunting that is above average and less crowded than many more populous states, plus boating on the reservoir. There is some pretty good hiking, but it is concentrated in the Black Hills for the most part. You'll end up repeating the same hiking and camping after a few trips. Rock hounding places are abundant. Skiing is marginal at best. Though it gets cold and windy in the winter (below zero a few times a year), and some big snow storms. Usually a lot of wind with the storms, but the snow usually melts off pretty quickly. A few drifts and piles may last a few weeks, but the roads are clear in a few days usually.

Anything in particular you are looking for in the Rapid City area?
Thank you. We’d be looking for fishing (especially love walleye), kayaking, hiking and backpacking, camping…not sure during the winter months…we tend to hunker down. I lift weights obsessively all year. In the fall we love hunting deer and pheasant and Turkey in the spring. Sounds like there’s be everything we want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City