Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:31 PM

141 posts, read 403,064 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My kids are driving me nuts .. hehe. They are so bored being home and no kids around to play with since school here isnt over yet. Does anyone know of any free or cheap things to do around Rapid City (especially on cool and rainy days)? We visited Reptile Gardens last weekend and loved it, and have a few other places we want to go eventually but all cost a good amount of money. With the move and eating out so much we are getting down to not much money left til payday lol. I thought about visiting that storybook place (if it stops raining) but not sure if my kids are too old for it.. they are 8 and 9.

Any suggestions you have would be great!! Thanks!

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 01:00 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Storybook Island
StoryBook Island - Rapid City, South Dakota
Storybook Island loc: Rapid City, SD - Google Maps

Canyon Lake Park on the same side of town.
canyon lake park rapid city - Google Maps

Great ways to spend an afternoon. Both are free.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:14 PM

955 posts, read 3,649,321 times
Yep we love storybook park - not so good with our weather right now though...

When you went to reptile gardens did you get the season pass - make sure you do - if you are a local you get it with one paid admission to back all season - we already got ours too!

The community aquatic center is fun

Elks theater downtown has cheap movies

There is the air musuem out at the base and the journey here in town

Skyline drive and dinosaur park is cool - great views up there

Make sure you call the chamber of commerce - they will stop by and bring you lots of free coupons to do things around town etc!

Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,719,767 times
This weather is kind of gloomy so there really isn't much outdoor activity to do right now. Dinosaur Park would be pretty fun. Do you have frisbees? Take them to the "frolf" parks along Omaha Street and there's another one off Jackson Boulevard. Do they like to hike? There are a lot of trails on Cowboy Hills (the one with the big "M" on it) and around Skyline Drive. If your fishing gear is here, take them fishing at Canyon Lake. Canyon Lake Park has a lot of fun canals and playgrounds. Get a loaf of bread and feed the ducks in the lake.

Take an umbrella!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 PM

rjl78 - thanks for the links, I will check them out.

BusySocialWorker - thanks for all the ideas! We did get a pass at reptile gardens, so Im sure we will go there many more times. I did call the chamber of commerce and they had me drive down there and pick up a "relocation pack" which was a folder with basic info about rapid city - no coupons, business stuff/info or other helpful info. In fact it just went in the garbage cause it was nothing I needed or could use.. I can look up city data online. I was actually pretty disapointed because I thought it would be more like the welcome wagon type of service.

DannyBanany - we do have frisbees but havent played frisbee golf before so will have to check it out. We are pretty much city/town folk.. havent had the opportunity to take the kids hiking or fishing.. so we plan to get into some of that and see how they like it. I will write down the places you suggested so we can check them out!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,719,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g33kgrl View Post
I did call the chamber of commerce and they had me drive down there and pick up a "relocation pack" which was a folder with basic info about rapid city - no coupons, business stuff/info or other helpful info. In fact it just went in the garbage cause it was nothing I needed or could use.. I can look up city data online. I was actually pretty disapointed because I thought it would be more like the welcome wagon type of service.
Keep an eye out for Impact magazine. It's a local magazine with all kinds of coupons, advertisements, and information on local businesses. At first, I just thought it was junk mail but it turned out to save me a chunk of change. Haircuts for $6 at Great Clips, BOGO ice cream at Cold Stone, 1/2 price pizzas at Nick n' Willy's, etc.... the coupons are great!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Keep an eye out for Impact magazine. It's a local magazine with all kinds of coupons, advertisements, and information on local businesses. At first, I just thought it was junk mail but it turned out to save me a chunk of change. Haircuts for $6 at Great Clips, BOGO ice cream at Cold Stone, 1/2 price pizzas at Nick n' Willy's, etc.... the coupons are great!
Cool! Thanks, I will keep an eye out for it!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:02 PM

955 posts, read 3,649,321 times
oh yeah - love impact -

that sucks about the chamber - we got good stuff - I suppose the economy has taken a toll huh!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:35 AM

464 posts, read 1,355,976 times
go get a family pack of punch cards at the swim center. They can be used whenver you want until they run out, no expiration date. And you can use them at any outdoor pool once they open up. We got a family of 4 20 punch passes for around $150 but that was 2 years ago. We still haven't used them all cause my hubby never goes. We can also use my hubby's pass if we take a friend or gram when she visits.
your kids will love the indoor swim center.
My kids are almost 6 and 9. they don't mind going to storybook island, yet they don't have as much fun as they used to.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 AM

Thanks I will check it out. The indoor swim center would be great! We have an outdoor pool here so dont really have a need to go to an outdoor one.

My youngest will be 8 tomorrow so all these ideas help us think of something fun to do with her. She didnt get a birthday party with friends this year because of the move so we are just going to find something fun to do as a family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
View detailed profiles of: