Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:29 AM

189 posts, read 797,148 times

Advertisements

Would agent's feel more inclined to show a house if their was an additional bonus? If so, how much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 10:42 AM

81 posts, read 350,379 times
Right now it seems like about 50% of the houses in our area (Athens/Atlanta GA) have bonuses attached to them, and they still are not moving! The market is a little stagnant in some areas but not horrible. Proper pricing and great staging seem to be the best help for motivated sellers right now.

As to the second part of your question, I've seen them as low as $1000 and as high as $10,000 on average priced homes lately. Because a bonus has to be disclosed to all parties of the contract, you may want to consider raising the selling side of the commission instead if you do choose to offer an incentive!

Old 07-05-2007, 11:01 AM

428 posts, read 2,439,970 times
"Because a bonus has to be disclosed to all parties of the contract, you may want to consider raising the selling side of the commission instead if you do choose to offer an incentive!"

I think that's good advice. I've never been involved with a sale with a bonus. They are not common in my market, but they do exist. I would feel uncomfortable telling my buyer that I'm getting an extra $$$ because they're buying 123 Easy Street. That would cause them to question my motives, so to prevent that, we'd have to work out a split. (Broker also gets a lot of agent's bonus)

Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,018 times
In my market, bonus's don't have to be disclosed, but I do. It may get me to send the picture to my client for consideration, but it doesn't get me to go against the best interest of my client. there is a fine line there.

oh, and at my brokerage firm, the agent gets the whole bonus, no split with the broker. But an increased commission is still split at the same rate.

Shelly

Old 07-05-2007, 09:19 PM

376 posts, read 1,505,643 times
Selling bonuses out here in Socal don't generate that much more traffic. Personally reducing the price so the home is more attractive to the buyer works better.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:46 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,816 times
I see bonus' offered all the time right now in our area, but I don't seek them out for my benefit. I'm with MissyM, I wouldn't want my client thinking I'm showing them that house because there's an extra bonus attached to the deal. If it fit the parameters of what my client was looking for I would show it. I'm just not going to be motivated because someone is waving a bunch of dollar signs my way, that is not why I got into the business. I find it tacky to seek them out for my own personal gain.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
And it avoids the ethical dilemna for the Agent. I would think that any payment above 3 percoent should go to the buyer. After all you are a fiduciary are you not? Is it really better for you to get a 2% bonus...or for the buyer to get a 2% price reduction.

This industry has all the ethics of a piranha school.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:53 PM

I don't agree Olecapt. What makes 3% magical?

the seller is offering a % amount, be it 2% or 5%, as long as it doesn't hinder the negotiations then it is the compensation offered, period. Or a bonus offered period. As long as I am willing to show the property, and as long as I am willing to present whatever offer my client deems acceptable, then it shouldn't matter.

The only thing I have a problem with is when the bonus is tied to a full price offer, as in $1k bonus to selling agent on full price offer. Sorry, listing agent, you just hindered the agents abillity to do their job, you aren't really offering them a bonus, you are inducing them to not take their clients best interest to heart, and when I see that I assume the bonus is bogus, because I can't guarantee a full price offer. and I already know the seller will give up $1k, cause they offered it to me.

But if it is a clean offer of commission and/or bonus, then I don't see why it is wrong to accept it.

3% is not sacred, not downwards and certainly not upwards.

Shelly

Old 07-05-2007, 09:54 PM

72,412 posts, read 18,199,076 times
Not that popular around here,Maybe in some other areas.try to price it lower.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And it avoids the ethical dilemna for the Agent. I would think that any payment above 3 percoent should go to the buyer. After all you are a fiduciary are you not? Is it really better for you to get a 2% bonus...or for the buyer to get a 2% price reduction.

This industry has all the ethics of a piranha school.
I am just going to elaborate a little more. If I am to understand this thinking, that the 2% bonus or additional commission should go to the buyer, then whay not the magical 3%? I mean, if they weren't paying it to you, they could just drop it off the price. but you have a right to make a living right? and you determined that % is what makes your business work right? and anything over that is just, well unethical? Because you like that number?

Again, I'm not saying that you "keep the price artificially inflated" to line your pockets, with an inducement to bring a full price offer. But I don't see anything wrong with sellers trying to raise their property above the clutter and get noticed. and if it works with a bonus or additional commission, so be it.

Shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals