Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:12 PM

164 posts, read 559,282 times

Advertisements

Ok guys, another question...we have had a few showings this spring by realtors who then have their own new listing in our neighborhood a few days after the showing of our house. Am I being paranoid, or are they using our house as a comparison for their own listing? I realize that real estate is all about the market and comparisons, but I think it would be very rude to waste my time in getting the house ready for a showing that would never even have the chance of a sale. Just look at the photos and information that's online about my house, don't waste my time and get my hopes up about a showing that is only to benefit a competing listing. Please tell me I'm imagining this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 02:28 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
You gotta realize that, especially with so many places being more than a little heavy on inventory, the name of game is "how does X stack up against Y".

If you are priced well and show BEAUTIFULLY you will get some offers. If there are say a few homes similar to yours but staged a wee bit less well and priced a bit less the offers are going to go to those first.

How do you deal with this? Basically you GOTTA have a listing agent that knows the comps and then you GOTTA stage your place BETTER than the comps AND undercut their price. It ain't want any seller wants to hear, but it is the reality of the current market.

BTW If you have not already "troubled" the other sellers you really really ought to plan to cross shop them against yourself. Leave you rose colored glasses at home and be ready to look as harshly as possible at how your home stacks up. Pictures do not tell the same story as in-person visits....

Old 04-18-2011, 02:44 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
What Chet said

Old 04-18-2011, 05:07 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,558 times
It's called "preview" and it happens all of the time. A good agent will let the other agent know the purpose and so that the seller knows and doesn't have to prepare for an actual buyer. One reason for a seller to agree to this is that the agent with that new listing may get a buyer who is not interested in that new listing, but might be interested in that first seller's house. The more agents that actually see your house, the better chance you have at getting one to recommend it to their buyers.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
I've taken potential sellers on drive by tours to show them exactly what a buyer is going to see and when we're done, most of them agree to my suggested listing price. Those that don't list with someone else at what I've always thought was an unrealistic price.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
And ALL Sellers think that their house is the biggest and the best in the market so educational tours are a necessity. Hey - I would think the same thing if I were a Seller.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:26 PM

172 posts, read 292,872 times
I would never drag my sellers through other similar homes--most of THOSE are overpriced. I'd rather take them through the SOLD houses, but can't do that. The last thing I want to do is have my sellers look at some trash heap listed for 50,000 more than the comps show THEY should be listed at.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:00 PM

34 posts, read 81,241 times
A great agent knows the market and all houses that are for sale. Get as many people through your house as possible. Just because the agent is using your house to sell his doesn't mean he is going to sell it. You would not believe it but it really is a small world. You want to create an energy with your home sale. The more people talking about and seeing it the better. There is a buyer for every house.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:52 AM

164 posts, read 559,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar13 View Post
A great agent knows the market and all houses that are for sale. Get as many people through your house as possible. Just because the agent is using your house to sell his doesn't mean he is going to sell it. You would not believe it but it really is a small world. You want to create an energy with your home sale. The more people talking about and seeing it the better. There is a buyer for every house.
I agree. Although I suspect some of our showings were by sellers' agents who only saw it to compare to their own listings, I'm not going to question them or deny a showing. It would be nice if they could be upfront with me though, so I knew I wouldn't have to put so much effort into getting the house perfect before they came.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:27 PM

172 posts, read 292,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGrl View Post
I agree. Although I suspect some of our showings were by sellers' agents who only saw it to compare to their own listings, I'm not going to question them or deny a showing. It would be nice if they could be upfront with me though, so I knew I wouldn't have to put so much effort into getting the house perfect before they came.
Generally I just view all the open houses in my listing area. I've never made an appointment to show a house just to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals