Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:40 PM
bfa bfa started this thread

80 posts, read 458,392 times

Advertisements

All,

Several of us were discussing this in another thread, I just wanted to post in the main forum, to get more exposure.

The NAR so far has successfully kept the banks out of the real estate services industry. They claim it will hurt consumers. As it is now, a real estate office can house title services, real estate services, mortgage, insurance...you name it.

On the other side, a bank is prevented from operating a real estate office or engaging in real estate services.

In the event that NAR is unable to keep banks away, (and it's coming) what will happen to the smaller real estate companies, and agents.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 01:20 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Real Estate is local.

Who told you an RE office can do title, mortgage etc? Not in Nevada.

So you start your discussion on an incorrect assessment.

Banks would make little difference to the agents. More a problem to the brokerages. But I see no pressing advantage to Banks in the business.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Real Estate is local.

Who told you an RE office can do title, mortgage etc? Not in Nevada.

So you start your discussion on an incorrect assessment.

Banks would make little difference to the agents. More a problem to the brokerages. But I see no pressing advantage to Banks in the business.
Pardon me.

In many states, a company may offer real estate services, and offer mortgages through their mortgage division, and title, etc.

Thanks for your comment.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
I would buy "in some states". Many is too strong unless you wish to develop the statistic. I would agree it is true in CA. Don't know another off hand.

I might also suggest you list a location. Make it easier to understand your RE views.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:44 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
It is true up here in the midwest. The agents totally steer buyers to their title companies and of coarse said title companies charge a little more. They also have loan officers under the RE broker umbrella ie. Edina Realty, Edina Title and Edina Mortgage.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I would buy "in some states". Many is too strong unless you wish to develop the statistic. I would agree it is true in CA. Don't know another off hand.

I might also suggest you list a location. Make it easier to understand your RE views.
I am in Florida, and here there are many brokers that also own title companies, mortgage, etc. I'm originally from Georgia, and I know there brokers can own mortgage companies. In GA there are no title companies, they use attorneys.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:58 PM

566 posts, read 2,985,576 times
You can do it here in VA too.

On a side note: I can't stand when I read the listing remarks and it says "sellers prefer xyz title". No chance I'm using that title company....not with their inflated fees and ABAs that make the listing broker an extra few hundred bucks on the deal.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS827 View Post
You can do it here in VA too.

On a side note: I can't stand when I read the listing remarks and it says "sellers prefer xyz title". No chance I'm using that title company....not with their inflated fees and ABAs that make the listing broker an extra few hundred bucks on the deal.
We have a brokerage here in the Tampa, FL area that requires the seller to use their title company, due to the listing agreement. The buyer can use their own if they prefer, but they will pay more, because of simultaneous issue of the owners policy.

Their fees are so inflated, it's unbelievable. The company advertises 2% commissions, but stick the seller with the higher title charges.

It's all about reading the fine print, isn't it?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:23 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfa View Post
We have a brokerage here in the Tampa, FL area that requires the seller to use their title company, due to the listing agreement. The buyer can use their own if they prefer, but they will pay more, because of simultaneous issue of the owners policy.

Their fees are so inflated, it's unbelievable. The company advertises 2% commissions, but stick the seller with the higher title charges.

It's all about reading the fine print, isn't it?
See - that's the problem when you get all this intermingling of services. Here in AZ I've not seen title companies as part of the real estate companies, but definitely mortgages. The last company I worked for was a national franchise and had its own mortgage division. Not many agents used them until they got a loan officer that was local (instead of back east) and knew her stuff. I think it's mostly these national brokerages that are trying to get into the mortgages, insurance, title. Those brokerages aren't about selling real estate, they're about making money off their agents. The companion services is just another way they get a piece of the action.

All this one-stop shopping isn't for the convenience and benefit of the consumer. It's for the benefit of the big companies. Once banks get involved in real estate it will be that much worse. It's not the consumer who'll save money - it's the "big boys" who'll cash in.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:52 PM

178 posts, read 1,227,618 times
here in North Carolina national and local brokerages alike offer all settlement services under one roof...e.g., FM Realty, FM Lending, FM Title. Although "steering" is prohibited by law, I'm sure it happens because agents have told me the Brokers in Charge give them constant grief if they take the business elsewhere. From what I've been told the BICs insist on capturing the business because it fattens the bottom line numbers which, of course, they are paid on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals