Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM

5 posts, read 8,214 times

Advertisements

I recently started a business offering Photoshop services exclusively to real estate professionals. Basically, I can improve the quality of an existing photo. If I may toot my own horn for a second, I can do wonders with an agent profile pic (background changes, crops, color correction) and I can improve listing pics that could use a little pop (without adding or omitting objects, of course). On my website I demonstrate my work and show how I can take a snapshot and make it look like a professional shot. My question is, what is the best way to let agents know what I'm doing? I'm in Los Angeles, but I can offer the service nationwide. Advertising is really expensive, especially since I only charge $20 for each image, and I'm just starting this business. I'm counting on volume in the future. I have great print materials showcasing my work that I plan to mail out, but I'm wondering if it's best to just go out to real estate agencies and introduce myself. Any thoughts (positive ones please!)? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
$20 an image is really high for post processing. I have used a post processor before when I get slammed with listings at a specific point in time. They charged $5 an image, unless I wanted HDR and that was $10 an image. If an agent has 20 images, you would charge $400 for post processing. You can hire a pro for $200 so why would they use you?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 PM

Silverfall,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't clear about my pricing. $20 is what I charge for an agent profile pic "makeover", my examples show what I can do and I think $20 is reasonable for that. I will only charge about $5 per image for a listing image, and even less if there are multiple images per listing. By the way, with a background in photography and graphic design, I do consider myself a pro Hope all is well for you back in my home state of Oregon. Thanks, again for the info.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrey View Post
Silverfall,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't clear about my pricing. $20 is what I charge for an agent profile pic "makeover", my examples show what I can do and I think $20 is reasonable for that. I will only charge about $5 per image for a listing image, and even less if there are multiple images per listing. By the way, with a background in photography and graphic design, I do consider myself a pro Hope all is well for you back in my home state of Oregon. Thanks, again for the info.
All the people I know that do post processing are pro photographers. That isn't what I meant. What I meant was why would they hire you at $20 a pop when a pro photographer charges $200 to do it all. BUT you have since clarified that you won't charge that much for listing images.

I hired my guy off the Photography for Real Estate Blog. He had a list on there for photographers that do post processing of listing photos.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 PM

Ah, the power of clarification. I'm just going to get out there and introduce myself to local agencies, while pursuing other avenues at the same time. Good discussion!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:52 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,785 times
Get clients the same way we do... Start working the phones

Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,652,230 times
That is allot of work to chase down $5. Many realtors who dont have the skills to do a simple image edit, will likely not have the skills to send you the photos. Many realtors barely know how to use a computer. Once the contract for the house is signed, the realtor only has a certain number of hours to enter it into MLS with photos or face fines. And because other sites pull from the initial listing, you may only have 1 time to do it correctly. Waiting for your photos would be an issue.

If a realtor needs good photos, for $100-$200 there are plenty of photographers that will show up to the house, take the photos and give them to the realtor the same day.

Another issue is many homeowners wont even clean the house. You cant photoshop a turd. See this for example. www.uglyhousephotos.com

I question if you have a good business plan in the first place. That said.... good luck.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
That is allot of work to chase down $5. Many realtors who dont have the skills to do a simple image edit, will likely not have the skills to send you the photos. ...

I question if you have a good business plan in the first place. That said.... good luck.
I concur. I clean up my own photos but I'm sort of techie and spent money on a good camera. I have no need of said services.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM

Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence. Very negative, people. I think most real estate agents know how to upload a picture to me via email, but I promise you they can't clean up a photo like I can. Just because YOU may have the skills, doesn't mean everybody does. The reason I started this business is because I saw how many poor photos are posted on the MLS, Trulia, etc. And you're telling me my services aren't needed? Not every agent can afford a professional photog to take the pictures, that's why I can offer an affordable alternative. By the way, you may want to learn how to spell a lot if you are a professional; it's not "allot". I'm so sorry I came on here. Don't bother to reply, either. I won't be checking this forum anymore. I wonder if you all have the same positive attitudes when looking for clients and building your own business. I've received positive feedback in Los Angeles, where people actually support each other and thrive. I'm not used to this kind of nastiness and that's why I'm throwing it right back. I'm a very nice person usually and I was just looking for help. Do you think I'm a robot with no feelings? I hope you don't treat your potential clients like you treated me.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Welcome to the real world. You better be prepared rejection if you're going to go into any sales fields. For the record, the person you were speaking to isn't an agent. A question for you: If those agents taking all the bad photos you're speaking of-you think they care about the bad photos enough to fix them? I'd think not or they'd have fixed them already. The ones that already take nice photo's or hire a pro won't need your services. So who does that leave as your potential market?

I'm pointing this out because you're opening a business. You need a business plan and then you need buyers for your product. I don't think you're going to have many buyers for your product. If you're counting on this business niche for your primary income and not just something on the side it's something you need to consider.

Your reaction was poor. You should be grateful for the honesty instead of snapping at people for telling you what you need to hear rather than what you wanted to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals