Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:41 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times

Advertisements

I have about 600k to spend on a property in DC. I have been going to open houses for the last few months and narrowing down what I like and don't like. I have attempted to make contact with three agents and had a disappointing experience each time.

First, I decided to try Redfin. I called to set up a tour, talked to some intake person for 40 minutes about what I was interested in. The agent emailed me with my tour info, but three of the four properties I wanted to see weren't on it. When I asked why-- nothing was listed as "pending" on the site, she said they weren't available and started sending me properties that we were going to tour instead-- NONE in my desired area, ALL with features I had expressly said I didn't want. I canceled the tour. They sent me a feedback form asking why I had canceled and I said that I had gone over requirements for 40 minutes with the intake person, but the Agent was clearly unaware of anything I had said.

Second, I met an Agent at an open house. I liked him, and we set up a time to tour several properties. He consistently showed me things at the top of my range. When I said I wanted to see more diversity in terms of price, he only showed me one place and pointed out everything he hated about it. I specifically mentioned another place that I liked and he made several excuses why he couldn't show it to me, how it was "too small" and I would outgrow it. This was very off putting. He then pressured me to sign a contract for him to represent me. When I said I was thinking about waiting until after the holidays to purchase anything but was flexible, he began to insist that I start putting in offers sooner. I haven't signed a contract.

Third, I met with another agent who I had also encountered at an open house. We chatted over my requirements and set up a tour. The Agent sent me DOZENS of properties, which was great until I started to dig into the list. Clearly, this person just did a search in my price range and pulled up everything without regard to my wants or needs on location, fees, features, etc. This Agent, too, has a property I like but refuses to show that to me again, trying to talk me into something else. WHY?

What is going on here? I am pretty clear on what I like, and more than willing to research on my own. Its not that difficult. I am flexible on a lot of things but have a few "must haves" that seem consistently ignored: these things are not even difficult to find in the properties in my area, so its not a matter of wanting something exotic. I am beginning to think I don't want to use an agent at all.

I talked to a friend of mine who bought a condo a few years ago and was passed from Agent to Agent in a large firm because he didn't make an offer within two weeks. He made an offer when he found what he wanted, which takes a little time. This seems logical, but apparently no one wanted to take the time to build the sale. Judging from what I have seen so far, I am very nervous. Is this behavior typical? Any RE professionals on here that can provide insight?

Last edited by confusedasusual; 11-17-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:05 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
It's been my experience that some agents are just looking for a sale. And some agents actually give a hoot what their customer wants. The trick is to find the one who actually listens to what your wants/needs are

Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
I would suspect that after this post you will be hearing from several agents.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:32 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Have you asked for referrals from co-workers, neighbors?

If you are new to the market and have purchased before in another, could your former agent refer you to someone?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It's been my experience that some agents are just looking for a sale. And some agents actually give a hoot what their customer wants. The trick is to find the one who actually listens to what your wants/needs are
Clearly you are correct. I think I am just going to keep looking until I find someone who "gets it." But I kind of feel as though I would be a better advocate for my interests than any of the people who I have met with so far. I am already doing research, jumping through financing hoops, going to open houses-- why should I pay someone who can't be bothered to screen out listings with wall to wall carpet?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:57 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
You really have had a run of bad luck with agents. :-( As far as the agent who sent you everything in your price range -- my thought is that sometimes, when people tell us their "must haves", they tend to turn into "nice to haves, but not critical" when factored in with other things such as price and location. For example, if everything about a house was perfect -- location, price, etc., and it had wall-to-wall carpet in three rooms -- wouldn't you just tear up the carpet and be happy you found a great house? Carpet is cosmetic -- that's why most agents don't take it too seriously as a criteria.

My other thought is that if EVERY agent is making this mistake -- maybe you aren't making your needs crystal clear. There's a difference between "I would like," and "Don't show me anything that doesn't have hardwood floors, I hate carpet," or "Don't waste my time with units outside of Hays-Adams," etc. Maybe you are too polite for your own good. :-)

There's an agent out there who would LOVE to work with you . . . I suspect you will hook up quickly. :-)

Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Real estate in the Metro DC area is not so "hot" that agents can afford to be stupid. Unfortunately many don't know that.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:09 AM

I understand that carpet is cosmetic, but I am not interested in replacing floors in every room of a living space. One or two, sure, but not the whole thing. So no wall to wall carpet. Don't care how awesome the place is. Absolutely not. I have allergies and even living in a space while the floor replacement will be going on is miserable.

I also said I absolutely don't want to see anything that has been recently renovated and only has a shower (no tub). Again, this is non-negotiable. Some people would just replace the tub but my feeling is that I am paying for the renovation and therefore don't want to pay again to put in the features I actually want. Its not difficult to find spaces with HWFs and bathtubs in the neighborhoods I am looking in. If there was a dearth of options, I would probably have to compromise. But I really don't.

The Agents, as you say, are not taking what I am saying too seriously, which is why I am starting to get irritated. I don't know how else to express what I want. I have made lists with my "must haves" and "nice to haves". I have been looking and studying the market for a few months. I have been meeting with people and going to open houses. I absolutely know what I want. Why would anyone think that they knew what I needed better than I do? This is a hot market and honestly, I think many of the Agents have grown complacent and lazy.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Real estate in the Metro DC area is not so "hot" that agents can afford to be stupid. Unfortunately many don't know that.
Yes. I agree. I also realize that my budget isn't enormous for this area. There are definitely properties in my range, lots of them, but there are certainly many that are out of reach. I know what sort of monthly payment I am comfortable with. One of the Agents I toured with kept insisting that I would find a way to "make it work" if I bought higher than what I really wanted to spend. Really? That seems incredibly presumptuous to me.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Make a list with the house must have items. Make it clear to any agent you interview the following items must be in the house. I feel you are too rigid on your needs and that's why you are not finding a house. There is NO house of there that is gonna have all your needs wants desires for the low low price of x dollars. You're better off buying a. Tragedian, having it done to your doe s around move in when it's finished
I've bought plenty of homes. Just so you know most carpet and paint is a redo before move in at a minimum. I don't even look at the little items. You may be too nit picky that agents simply don't wanna deal with you. Not sure if that is a big or small part of the difficulty. But I can tell you no house is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals