Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM

612 posts, read 2,778,096 times

Advertisements

I am getting a listing today and have been talking to the owners about doing a little work on it first. It is the typical rental, not too pristine white walls with nail holes, older kitchen cabinets, etc. It is completely empty. I offered to get some 'oops' paint and paint and clean it up myself and bring over some of my 'stage' furniture. They said they do not want to invest any money in it. They are willing to price low to get it sold but I still feel a little bit of work that I could do myself (not much else going on this week) will go a long way to moving it.

I don't know what they are thinking, I offered to lay out the cost myself. It would only be some paint. I also offered some leftover tiles from one of my other houses and a wet saw to do over the kitchen counters.

How do I convince them to just let me do it?

TIA, Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 09:48 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,425,536 times
Have you showed them the competition?

Real estate is about price, location & condition. Are the comps a better value?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:56 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,756 times
Default focus focus

Forgive me but you are a Realtor not a handyman, I understand you wanting to sell the listing and in my opinion that is exactly what you should be thinking about. Just price it right, in this market a "fixer-upper" will move quickly. Work on your next listing or sale...

Why don't you describe the listing, (be brief price, location, price, single or multi) maybe one of us would be interested.

good luck

Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Have you showed them the competition?

Real estate is about price, location & condition. Are the comps a better value?
They would be right around the comps. The thing is, it is a townhome development and an investor bought ten of them and they all went in foreclosure last year. These places were selling for 100,000 + a few years ago and are now down to 45-55,000. Most have not been updated and are a mess. I just want a good product to show.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
Forgive me but you are a Realtor not a handyman, I understand you wanting to sell the listing and in my opinion that is exactly what you should be thinking about. Just price it right, in this market a "fixer-upper" will move quickly. Work on your next listing or sale...

Why don't you describe the listing, (be brief price, location, price, single or multi) maybe one of us would be interested.

good luck
Well, sometimes you have to do a little more than the 'other guy' who winds up with an expired listing. I just think it has a great chance of selling quickly since the mortgage would be less than what the others are renting out for.

It is a 2/2.5 two story townhome in Conyers, Georgia. Price will be about 60K.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
I tell my agents that their time as a professional is spent doing what real estate professionals are supposed to do, and that isn't painting/handyman stuff.

That being said, my first transaction in 1979 the water line broke the day before closing between the meter and the house and I dug it up and repaired it. That may be why I think it's not professional to do that kind of thing.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I tell my agents that their time as a professional is spent doing what real estate professionals are supposed to do, and that isn't painting/handyman stuff.

That being said, my first transaction in 1979 the water line broke the day before closing between the meter and the house and I dug it up and repaired it. That may be why I think it's not professional to do that kind of thing.
I appreciate the advice but I just think the little extra will make a huge difference. That, and the fact that she has two more townhomes (that ARE updated) that she wants to sell after this one is gone. Then, she wants to sell her main house and move up to a 450K one. See where I am going?

Besides, I wouldn't do this for just anyone but a little work on my part will not kill me. Besides, I think it will get me a bunch of business from the surrounding area.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,868 times
If you've told her that you are willing to do and and not pass along the cost to her and she doesn't want it done, there doesn't seem to be much point. I agree with you that it would probably help, and, like you, I see no problem with an agent being willing to roll up their sleeves and pitch in sometimes to get stuff done (particularly for older clients, out of town clients, and clients with disabilities) -- all within reason of course.

Have you been totally direct in the way you have put it? Have you said, "I think some small touch-ups will improve the chances of selling for a reasonable price and I'm willing to do them for you and not pass along the cost"? If so and they said "no" then I think your best bet is just to price it the way they want. If it sits on the market for a few weeks, you can revisit the issue.

Also, while I wouldn't be overly concerned about anyone painting, DIY tiling is harder and if it's not done well is more likely to turn people off than if it hadn't been tiled in the first place. Do you really have the skills to pull this off in a way that looks professional and enchances the value of the property?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
If you've told her that you are willing to do and and not pass along the cost to her and she doesn't want it done, there doesn't seem to be much point. I agree with you that it would probably help, and, like you, I see no problem with an agent being willing to roll up their sleeves and pitch in sometimes to get stuff done (particularly for older clients, out of town clients, and clients with disabilities) -- all within reason of course.

Have you been totally direct in the way you have put it? Have you said, "I think some small touch-ups will improve the chances of selling for a reasonable price and I'm willing to do them for you and not pass along the cost"? If so and they said "no" then I think your best bet is just to price it the way they want. If it sits on the market for a few weeks, you can revisit the issue.

Also, while I wouldn't be overly concerned about anyone painting, DIY tiling is harder and if it's not done well is more likely to turn people off than if it hadn't been tiled in the first place. Do you really have the skills to pull this off in a way that looks professional and enchances the value of the property?
No, but my husband does. We have been 'rehabbers' more years than I care to remember sometimes. And it's a very small amount of counter space. Right now, it is blue whatever that fake stuff is called.

We talked about doing it together when we went over there this weekend (seller and I), maybe I just need to sit back down with the her and talk. She has been at work so something is probably getting lost in email translation between us.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,996,166 times
If there are that many on the market, some in better condition, do you really think your efforts and expenditures will get it sold before them? I ask this because I have a condo listing in a complex that is just receiving no traffic whatsoever. It has new carpeting, paint, etc. but it still doesn't bring it up to the level of some of the other units, none of which have sold in over a year.
I'd hate to see you put that time, effort and money into something that won't reap benefits for you or your Seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals