Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Realtor: real estate, market, business relationship, agent, seller.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:41 AM

374 posts, read 1,598,708 times

Advertisements

I have a question for anyone that is a realtor. We are getting ready to list our house in CHicago for a Relo to Raleigh.

WE have a family member who is a realtor so we feel like we have to use this person to list our house. She in knowledgeable but i wouldnt call her a "go-getter". I am not that excited about using her but want to give her a chance at least. She isnt giving us any break on comm % either. Is it fair to tell her that we will list with her for XX days (maybe 30 or 45) and if there is no action on our house then we have the right to go with a different realtor? Is that rude or unheard of?

I am freaking out about our house languishing on the market for 90 + days when I am ready to move NOW...LOL.

She told us that its VERY SLOW these days and not to expect much. I think she is too negative, but maybe it is that bad. Two other realtors told us to list at 449K and she recommeded 400K. Thats quite a spread.

Thanks for any advice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 10:14 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
This is a business relationship. If you think that someone is not a "go-getter," don't hire them, whoever they are.
Your relative can still get the Buy side of the transaction.

I would suggest you list with someone who makes you comfortable enough that you will list for a minimum of 90 days. I always ask for 6 months minimum.
30 to 45 doesn't serve you, unless you are very aggressive with the price. Yes, homes sell in a week. But that is not the rule for most transactions.

Time on market is reduced when the price is right. Make all of them justify the price and project to you when the property will sell. All of the agents you have spoken with should be able to tell you how much inventory there is in your area at $400,000 to $450,000, and how fast it is turning. If your urgency is greater than market activity, be ready to sell for less to get the deal done.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:20 AM

374 posts, read 1,598,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Time on market is reduced when the price is right. Make all of them justify the price and project to you when the property will sell. All of the agents you have spoken with should be able to tell you how much inventory there is in your area at $400,000 to $450,000, and how fast it is turning. If your urgency is greater than market activity, be ready to sell for less to get the deal done.
thanks mike. chicago (skokie actually) area is tough to price because of so many tear/downs and rehabs. Our house has been competely updated (built in the 40's) but we are next to homes that were torn down and rebuilt into 1Mill homes and others that have not ben updated at all and they are still asking 450-470k. We figured that 440 for one that needs no work done should sell quickly but only time will tell. thanks again for the advice. I will give her longer than 30 days i guess. but if she can't get any interest after 90 i will rethink things. Wish us luck!!!!

Old 03-16-2007, 01:22 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,577 times
You need a go-getter in this market! Hire someone that you are comfortable with. Interview a couple realtors and then decide.

I just sold my house and my agent didn't require a contract length. His philosophy was, "if I do a good job, then you'll continue working with me. If you are unhappy then I don't want you to be stuck. It won't be a good working relationship then." I was impressed with that! And he sold our house in a month. We had worked with other agents that required a term and I no longer believe in that.

A realtor works for you and works on commission. You can always ask to be released early from your contract if it isn't working out. Who would want to work with people who are unhappy?

Just my 2 cents as a fellow "seller."

Old 03-16-2007, 08:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
You need a go-getter in this market! Hire someone that you are comfortable with. Interview a couple realtors and then decide.

I just sold my house and my agent didn't require a contract length. His philosophy was, "if I do a good job, then you'll continue working with me. If you are unhappy then I don't want you to be stuck. It won't be a good working relationship then." I was impressed with that! And he sold our house in a month. We had worked with other agents that required a term and I no longer believe in that.

A realtor works for you and works on commission. You can always ask to be released early from your contract if it isn't working out. Who would want to work with people who are unhappy?

Just my 2 cents as a fellow "seller."
Hi Erin,

I'm with you on your two cents worth!

One of the first questions most sellers ask is how long will I have to sign a contract with you. I always answer with...how long do you want? I think it shocks some people but I'm just that way. Why would I want you to work with me if you aren't happy and why would I want to work with you if you are not allowing showings, etc. To pacify my office...I'll have them sign but they understand that its a team effort and if they aren't happy with me or I'm not happy with them...we call it quits and move on! Thus far...I've only fired one seller!!! Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals