Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:49 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,114 times

Advertisements

We are ready to list our home in a D.C. suburb of VA. We contacted an agent by email, he responded the next day and we told him that we’d like to have him see our home but it had to be mid afternoon or later so my wife and I could both be present. His next email, 2 days later, advised that they were booking appts 3-4 days ahead and asked if a date four days later in the morning was good. I replied immediately repeating that, as I said in my initial email, it had to be in the afternoon. He replied four business day later, suggesting a date exactly one week later. One more relevant fact: this is a "discount/limited service" agent who charges a flat fee for listing, plus a small % at closing.

Meanwhile, I had also asked a friend to send me his agent’s name. He called the agent that day and gave her our name. She called us that same evening, left a message and called us again the next day. This agent also offer a discount, tho not as large as the first.

Our question: am I being unreasonable expecting a bit quicker response from the first discount agent? We are concerned that, if it is going to take so many days just to set up just the initial appt, I’m wondering whether he will be able to field inquiries from buyers within a reasonable time. Or does this sound like the usual time frames for initiating the listing this time of year, in an area where RE usually moves pretty fast?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:55 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Why are you even still thinking about the first guy?

If customer service is important to you.... and in real estate, it certainly SHOULD be important... then hire the one who answers when you call, not the one who responds several days later and doesn't even read what you wrote.

"Discount" professional means you get less.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Why are you even still thinking about the first guy?

If customer service is important to you.... and in real estate, it certainly SHOULD be important... then hire the one who answers when you call, not the one who responds several days later and doesn't even read what you wrote.

"Discount" professional means you get less.

To be fair, contact with the first was by email (I prefer to do business in writing as much as possible), while contact with the second involved phone numbers, but that shouldn't alone make that much of difference, should it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to get the same level of service for less money -- we're willing to accept, for example, that he doesn't do open houses -- but it just seems that even for a discount broker, this guy must be pretty busy if he's not moving a bit quicker to sign up a new client.

BTW, thanks for the prompt response. Too bad we don't live in WA.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:34 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Don't be lied to about "discount" agents. There is no such thing.
Your use of the term opens you up to all manner of trolling.

You just picked one who has so much work, he may be too busy for a new client. Bear in mind, if he is that busy, he may be very good at getting houses sold.

Pick another agent, or the 2nd one who is just a bit more expensive but is not over-burdened with more clientele than she can handle.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 03-29-2017 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 05:40 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
I don't care what the service is, if someone ignores what I've told them and is slow to get back to me, their service is poor. The price they charge isn't the point. Service and professionalism are either present or they are not.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:52 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I don't care what the service is, if someone ignores what I've told them and is slow to get back to me, their service is poor. The price they charge isn't the point. Service and professionalism are either present or they are not.
Exactly.
2%, or 6%, or 7% commission is no predictor or guarantee of service or class.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:06 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
To be fair, contact with the first was by email (I prefer to do business in writing as much as possible), while contact with the second involved phone numbers, but that shouldn't alone make that much of difference, should it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to get the same level of service for less money -- we're willing to accept, for example, that he doesn't do open houses -- but it just seems that even for a discount broker, this guy must be pretty busy if he's not moving a bit quicker to sign up a new client.
Whether the contact is via email, phone, text, or smoke signal.... I judge other service providers by how responsive they are when I contact them. If they are slow to respond to me, or you, they will be slow to respond to interested buyers or other realtors wanting information about the property, also. Being prompt is important in this business! - buyers are looking now... tomorrow may be too late.

Quote:
BTW, thanks for the prompt response. Too bad we don't live in WA.
Indeed!

Old 03-29-2017, 06:48 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Since you prefer someone who will email you, I wonder if the agent who called you right up would email you or text you. Would that make you happy?

Old 03-29-2017, 08:05 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
as I said in another thread, the urgency matters. In this case, clearly the urgency doesn't meet the need. You can spend some money today on the flat fee broker, plus whatever small % you say they charge when you finish at the closing table. Or, you can pay nothing today and pay a slightly higher amount at closing.

Which one do you think will get a higher net check for you at closing?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Since you prefer someone who will email you, I wonder if the agent who called you right up would email you or text you. Would that make you happy?

I'm sure she'd email me or send me smoke signals if I asked her to, but its not the phone vs. email that's the issue.
Its not that I have a problem with phone calls per se. I generally prefer to do business in writing as much as possible, but only when time is not of the essence. In this case, We made sure to send the initial email well before our target listing date, so no one would be rushed. I did not expect that we wouldn't be talking to the agent for the first time until about two weeks later.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals