Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,471 times

Advertisements

I think frequent communication is key to a good real estate relationship. This agent may simply be holding off to give you time to get everything ready, or may just not be very good at getting back in touch. If that's the case, it could make for a rocky road during the transaction. You might want to make clear that you expect frequent communication from him throughout the process including weekly status updates and marketing reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 AM

414 posts, read 1,257,613 times
Twinkle: I can understand your point. I, too, am preparing my home to list. It has been nice to receive follow-up thank you notes and emails from the realtors I interviewed. Maybe you should research one or two of the agents that have kept in good contact with you. Especially if they already have a good selling record in 2008.

However, I can certainly appreciate what the other realtors have said about being polite since you did tell him you were waiting a month. I agree also with giving him the benefit of the doubt. To keep emotion out of it, maybe send him an email with where you are in the process (ie: finished de-cluttering, painting etc) and see how he follows up with you.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I am not a harasser of sellers. I have two potential clients that told me that they wanted to list April 1st, so they are on my list to call at the end of the month. I personally detest in your face agents, so it is not how I do business.

I do walk away from listings. My reasons for not wanting a listing a 1) The seller wants to overprice; 2) The seller is not motivated. This is not a "let's see if I can get this price kind of market" either you are a seller or a homeowner. I don't represent "maybe sellers." 3) There is something about the house that makes it near impossible to sell. I just walked away from a potential listing where the house sits sideways on the lot (these are $400,000 homes mind you); 4) The sellers are going through a nasty divorce. Yep, walked away from that one last week. The sellers can't figure out why agents won't call them back...
I walk way from more listings than I take. It is one of the blessings of this business that I do not have to work with exceptionally unreasonable or unmotivated people.

Having said this, I have yet to run into a property that will not sell. Price cures all defects.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default Find a more interested realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
Thanks all for the advice. I'll give him a call and make an appointment for next week.

But he could have at least sent me an email...
I'd find another realtor. If he's not interested enough to check back with you in a month, he won't be a go-getter trying to sell your house. There are lots of realtors in the Atlanta area. I'd find one who was more interested!

Good luck

Old 03-11-2008, 08:40 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I walk way from more listings than I take. It is one of the blessings of this business that I do not have to work with exceptionally unreasonable or unmotivated people.

Having said this, I have yet to run into a property that will not sell. Price cures all defects.
I agree, but the sellers of the sideways house would have had to sell at a loss. They did not have the funds to bring to close. It's priced about $80,000-$100,000 more than it will sell for now, and they are on their second or third agent I think. By impossible to sell, I guess I really mean sellers who don't understand the problems with their home.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,330 times
You are right, as a realtor I make a follow up call or email to all of my present, past and future clients. Just to make sure we are still set to go or just to see if anything as changed.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:52 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
Quote:
Thanks all for the advice. I'll give him a call and make an appointment for next week.

But he could have at least sent me an email...
Some people find that to be pushy and harrassing as well. It's a fine line. If you told him a month, he's probably waiting for you to make contact.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:24 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I agree, but the sellers of the sideways house would have had to sell at a loss. They did not have the funds to bring to close. It's priced about $80,000-$100,000 more than it will sell for now, and they are on their second or third agent I think. By impossible to sell, I guess I really mean sellers who don't understand the problems with their home.
Gottcha and agree.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:53 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,424 times
Well, I called him yesterday. He asked how the updates were going and remembered the specifics. He made an appointment to do the listing agreement next week, said it would go into the MLS the next morning and he would send someone out that day to do the virtual tour. Certainly doesn't sound like a slacker. So all is well.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:19 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Well, I called him yesterday. He asked how the updates were going and remembered the specifics. He made an appointment to do the listing agreement next week, said it would go into the MLS the next morning and he would send someone out that day to do the virtual tour. Certainly doesn't sound like a slacker. So all is well.
Sounds like the "just being polite" group was right this time. I wish you the best of luck in the sale of your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals