Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:12 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Escalation clauses, to me, seem to invite manipulation. You're basically laying all of your cards on the table and saying "THIS is really my highest and best, but I'm not going there, because I don't want to pay any more than I have to." I've seen negotiations for H&B that had FOUR offers with different escalation clauses. SMH. "Let's see, Buyer A said $400K, with a $2K escalation up to $420K. Buyer B is $402, but with escalation of $1,000 up to $425, Buyer C is $415, but with only 1 $5K escalation, and Buyer D is $412K, but will beat highest offer by $5K, up to $425K. If we start in the order received . . . (which time? The first time? The second time?)" Gah . . . ! (Not exact numbers, but you get the gist . . )
there you go, a listing agent scared of multiple offers because of the potentially confusing math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy_house View Post
Do the boards have a particular article in one of their brochures that explicitly says, "We, [such and such], strongly discourage the use of escalation clauses."?

I gotta wonder where you sometimes come up with this stuff
I had the attorney who's been head of the Forms committee, and a very well-versed residential contract issues guy to boot, tell us the NCREC says we're not supposed to use escalation clauses. And given his reasoning, it was good enough for me.

Because we have no right to demand to see the offer we "beat".

So, we CAN use them - nothing prohibits us from following the lawful direction of our client, which is "I want to include an escalation clause, and here's the verbiage I want to use". But we'd still open ourselves to real and significant liability if, through no fault of our own, it was determined they were essentially conned into paying more than they had to.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:24 PM

340 posts, read 222,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
there you go, a listing agent scared of multiple offers because of the potentially confusing math.
And now I have yet one more example which stands to reason why some agents won't be jumping for joy at the thought of multiple offers.

Thank you for being a valued resource and contributing to my already extensive knowledge on the subject

Btw there Merriam Webster, I liked your definition of my use of the word, "extensive"..

Quote:
extensive:

covering or affecting a large area.

Now what's your definition of the word large?

Old 11-08-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I had the attorney who's been head of the Forms committee, and a very well-versed residential contract issues guy to boot, tell us the NCREC says we're not supposed to use escalation clauses. And given his reasoning, it was good enough for me.

Because we have no right to demand to see the offer we "beat".

So, we CAN use them - nothing prohibits us from following the lawful direction of our client, which is "I want to include an escalation clause, and here's the verbiage I want to use". But we'd still open ourselves to real and significant liability if, through no fault of our own, it was determined they were essentially conned into paying more than they had to.

I wonder then if Mike had to use this same attorney

Did he happen to have a mullet?

Old 11-08-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy_house View Post
And now I have yet one more example which stands to reason why some agents won't be jumping for joy at the thought of multiple offers.

Thank you for being a valued resource and contributing to my already extensive knowledge on the subject

the "confusing math" was pure sarcasm. I added an emoji so I thought it would be obvious to anyone with reading skills.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
the "confusing math" was pure sarcasm. I added an emoji so I thought it would be obvious to anyone with reading skills.
Yeah, I got it. FYI too, the "valued resource" was also pure sarcasm. I added an emoji as well, but I guess my grin just wasn't big enough for you to get it.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:53 AM

175 posts, read 169,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Escalation clauses, to me, seem to invite manipulation. You're basically laying all of your cards on the table and saying "THIS is really my highest and best, but I'm not going there, because I don't want to pay any more than I have to." I've seen negotiations for H&B that had FOUR offers with different escalation clauses. SMH. "Let's see, Buyer A said $400K, with a $2K escalation up to $420K. Buyer B is $402, but with escalation of $1,000 up to $425, Buyer C is $415, but with only 1 $5K escalation, and Buyer D is $412K, but will beat highest offer by $5K, up to $425K. If we start in the order received . . . (which time? The first time? The second time?)" Gah . . . ! (Not exact numbers, but you get the gist . . )
They can definitely be difficult to sort out & keep track of on the seller's side, and some sellers & their agents state openly that they won't entertain them. But in our (rapidly rising) market of the past couple of years, some agents have used them as a way to keep their buyer clients from blindly shooting in an upward trajectory to guess how high above asking the price will go. Usually there's a mix of offers, some with & some without, so you use the highest 'base' price as your starting point & go from there. I would imagine that there are some next day (or next month) regrets from buyers using this tactic, but in my experience most are people who have lost on MANY prior bids and are well schooled by that time at the potential consequences.

We are not prohibited from providing documentation that substantiates competing offers--privacy protected, of course, and with seller's permission. The biggest challenge is sometimes making sure that all the details are buttoned up, and that the buyers are fully qualified.

It has definitely yielded higher final prices for sellers if they're willing to deal with it, from what I've seen, but also some very long nights for them & the agents sorting it all out!

Old 11-09-2017, 09:08 AM

then you get the Buyer who makes an offer with an escalation to a higher price than you actually accept. and they complain long and loud, believing that since their price would have been highest, you were required to accept it.

that has happened to me as a listing agent.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:22 AM

175 posts, read 169,940 times
I can imagine that happening definitely, since you would be looking at more than just price and I guess would have been disclosing competing offers throughout the process. In some way it goes back to the original post, in an auction where everyone is aware of what the other parties are bidding. But there are sooo many more fine points to a typical home purchase offer--I'd like to hear an auctioneer try & rattle those off!!

Old 11-09-2017, 09:31 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
then you get the Buyer who makes an offer with an escalation to a higher price than you actually accept. and they complain long and loud, believing that since their price would have been highest, you were required to accept it.

that has happened to me as a listing agent.
Greed readily discounts the value of terms and professionalism.

For some folks, the dollar is the only focus....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals