Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 07:00 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,332,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'll be the first to say I don't like writing these descriptions and I don't feel like I'm good at it. Mine always sound more like specs than marketing pieces... I'm too matter of fact about these things!

That said.... No... I wouldn't steal the last guy's work, even if it was better than mine.
There is only so much you can say.

Captivating view, no, stunning view, wait, panoramic view

I found myself repeating myself not copying others descriptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 05:07 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,592,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'll be the first to say I don't like writing these descriptions and I don't feel like I'm good at it. Mine always sound more like specs than marketing pieces... I'm too matter of fact about these things!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

The rest of it is just realtor euphemistic hype so there is bound to be duplication there, too. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
No one reads those anyway.

The one thing I hate is pretentious essays describing the home, especially when it's a crapshack.

This home "boasts" this and that. Jesus F.
I can see the photos.

It would be enough to just write-
"Come and see this house. NOW. Just do it. Oh my god, if I had the money, I'd buy it myself."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
There is only so much you can say.

Captivating view, no, stunning view, wait, panoramic view

I found myself repeating myself not copying others descriptions.
I don't really understand this kind of thinking. If an agent has done the homework to understand the home and its unique/positive selling points then writing a good description should be very easy. Frankly, if an agent can't string together a few good sentences about why my home is great or why someone should want to live there, or buy it, etc. then I don't want them selling my house.

The written descripition is the same 'narrative' that should be used when talking directly to buyer's agents, buyers, etc. If the agent can't clearly articulate a compelling narrative for the house, you have bigger problems than just the MLS description.

I don't mean to pick on anyone but saying that you aren't good at writing descriptions for your houses means that you aren't good at articulating the selling points of the products you sell. Isn't that a basic requirement for someone in sales and marketing related professions? And if you truly don't understand why the home might be unique, what the potential is for it, the value proposition for the buyer, etc, how do you price it in the best way or define the best sales strategy for it? The ingredients to the description feed just about everything in the sale. List out the ingredients and the description is easy to write.

Coca-cola is just brown sugar water and professionals come up with all kinds of ways to articulate why someone should want it. Surely it can't be THAT hard for something like a house which can have a huge emotional impact. The general public might be at a loss for this but isn't that one of the reasons why you hire a professional?

Am I wrong here?

Old 03-22-2018, 06:04 AM

801 posts, read 616,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
No one reads those anyway.

The one thing I hate is pretentious essays describing the home, especially when it's a crapshack.

This home "boasts" this and that. Jesus F.
I can see the photos.

It would be enough to just write-
"Come and see this house. NOW. Just do it. Oh my god, if I had the money, I'd buy it myself."
I LOVE the description but they're also not usually the same in my area. Seeing the pictures is not enough because I don't know what I'm looking at, half the time. If I can't see a good flow through the pictures, the description helps so much... like there being TWO staircases, that door is the pantry door, those three oddly-placed rooms are a kind of in-law/nanny suite. And shockingly, there are great features that aren't evident or sometimes even shown in pictures. Like a pool... or that there's a parcel attached that is zoned for something else.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:03 AM

14,551 posts, read 12,204,012 times
The descriptions sound fun, but when you get right down do them they're harder than you think to write really well.

And there are so many rules now about what we can say and what we can't.... that's why I stick to physical features and keywords they might use in a search and often think my descriptions are a little boring.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:18 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,332,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I don't really understand this kind of thinking.

The written descripition is the same 'narrative' that should be used when talking directly to buyer's agents, buyers, etc. If the agent can't clearly articulate a compelling narrative for the house, you have bigger problems than just the MLS description.
I have sold some Very nice homes with plenty of special features which makes writing the MLS description easy.

I have also sold some real turds and have struggled with what to say. With these it's all about pricing.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,504,434 times
I’m always surprised by how many typos there are in many listings .

Listings for businesses for sale seem to be the worst .

Old 03-22-2018, 07:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,453,735 times
To answer your question, yes, it's copyright infringement and it's illegal.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:13 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,592,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
I have sold some Very nice homes with plenty of special features which makes writing the MLS description easy.

I have also sold some real turds and have struggled with what to say. With these it's all about pricing.
Frankly this is sales and marketing 101. Not every house has luxury features and amazing views. Your description should tell the story that you've created for the house. Maybe you're aiming it at investment buyers and although it's not pretty, all the hard stuff has been updated already. Maybe it's a crappy house in a great neighborhood so priced much less than the surrounding houses. Whatever. Could be anything There is always something. And it's your job to make there be something. That IS the job.

There are always sales and marketing people who wish they had the other guy's house or car brand or software or airplanes to sell rather than his own. The other guys are faster more luxurious, etc. Or the luxury goods guy wishes he had cheaper things to sell because there are more buyers and it's not so binary. Good sales and marketing people find or create the USPs and articulate them properly.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:01 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,632,208 times
What's so hard about describing a house?

Old 03-24-2018, 03:22 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,156,401 times
What do people want to read in a description? My preference is just the facts, facts that are not obvious from the pictures or the floor plan (a floor plan adds a lot!) or the details section. Things like "room to add an elevator", "heated sunporch", "separate water heater for garden tub". Large shade trees to the west, completely fenced for children and dogs, thin stream at back of property.

What I hate to read are fluff words showing the vapid conclusions of the agent. Stunning living room, awesome granite counters, you will love the <blank>, huge lot (compared to what?), "walking distance to all the town has to offer" (if only you are under the age of twelve), and my favorite "Highly sought after/desirable".

So Diana Holbrook, for "boring" substitute "useful" and I'll bet real people like your descriptions just the way they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals