Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 03:56 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times

Advertisements

Interesting interaction.

Got a cash buyer interested in a Redfin listed home. On the market a day...around $500K.

Called the Redfin agent as the house was good enough for heavy activity. Wanted to know how they would handle it and tell them we were going to offer.

No response from the Redfin Agent. Got the offer together crack of dawn this morning. The listing went contingent at 8AM for conventional loan and 30 day escrow. Would have had an unhappy buyer but we warned them that Redfin might well do what they did.

the real loser is likely the Redfin seller. We would have offered list and might well have gone past it. And we would deliver anything up to and including a two week close. I would think there is no likelihood any conventional deal could get to list due to the appraisal. Best house in the neighborhood and very hard to see a way to the list anymore above list.

And that is the Redfin problem. Their system is basically impenetrable. No one is in charge. The listing agent basically does that and then vanishes and they assign the other stuff throughout the work group. So here the seller likely lost at least a few thousand and a very clean deal.

Any regular brokerage would have been all over me...but Redfin cannot even return the phone call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 05:45 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Interesting interaction.

Got a cash buyer interested in a Redfin listed home. On the market a day...around $500K.

Called the Redfin agent as the house was good enough for heavy activity. Wanted to know how they would handle it and tell them we were going to offer.

No response from the Redfin Agent. Got the offer together crack of dawn this morning. The listing went contingent at 8AM for conventional loan and 30 day escrow. Would have had an unhappy buyer but we warned them that Redfin might well do what they did.

the real loser is likely the Redfin seller. We would have offered list and might well have gone past it. And we would deliver anything up to and including a two week close. I would think there is no likelihood any conventional deal could get to list due to the appraisal. Best house in the neighborhood and very hard to see a way to the list anymore above list.

And that is the Redfin problem. Their system is basically impenetrable. No one is in charge. The listing agent basically does that and then vanishes and they assign the other stuff throughout the work group. So here the seller likely lost at least a few thousand and a very clean deal.

Any regular brokerage would have been all over me...but Redfin cannot even return the phone call.
What makes you think the offer wasn't accepted before yours was in?

Old 05-05-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
What makes you think the offer wasn't accepted before yours was in?
It absolutely was. No question. In fact my offer was never submitted.

The point was simple. The Redfin system is non-responsive. And in this case cost the Redfin client. Maybe a lot.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:02 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Quote:
It absolutely was. No question. In fact my offer was never submitted.

The point was simple. The Redfin system is non-responsive. And in this case cost the Redfin client. Maybe a lot.
So offer a backup, Maybe the seller said to accept the first full price offer.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
So offer a backup, Maybe the seller said to accept the first full price offer.
That would be sufficiently rare as to defy description. Any competent agent would certainly have let the thing run through the first weekend before accepting any offer. Another place Redfin falls down. There is no one who is thinking.

I could send a backup offer but my client is not in a position to wait. So if I offer one it probably is executable for three days at best.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:40 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,206,328 times
I'm sorry, but this directly has nothing to do with Redfin ...

Unfortunately, if I had $100 for every time a Listing Agent knew good and well my clients were making an offer, but instead accepted a different offer without informing me there was even an offer in play, then I would have a larger savings account, and many fewer Buyers wondering WTF those agents/sellers were thinking.

It's rather amazing that in many cases, you can make it so the Seller doesn't see the feedback, and even sometimes the appointments being set.

It's gotten to the point that I have to tell Buyers "I don't know this listing agent. They could have taken an offer 5 minutes ago and I wouldn't know."

On Redfin, I've certainly had times where their agents "check all the boxes" of the base score of representation, but they didn't sell the house or get the house.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm sorry, but this directly has nothing to do with Redfin ...

Unfortunately, if I had $100 for every time a Listing Agent knew good and well my clients were making an offer, but instead accepted a different offer without informing me there was even an offer in play, then I would have a larger savings account, and many fewer Buyers wondering WTF those agents/sellers were thinking.

It's rather amazing that in many cases, you can make it so the Seller doesn't see the feedback, and even sometimes the appointments being set.

It's gotten to the point that I have to tell Buyers "I don't know this listing agent. They could have taken an offer 5 minutes ago and I wouldn't know."

On Redfin, I've certainly had times where their agents "check all the boxes" of the base score of representation, but they didn't sell the house or get the house.
Of course it does. Redfin does not respond. I pointed out to my client they well might not...and they did not.
Yes other agents screws around sometimes. And should be chastised for it. But most answer their phone. Not true at Redfin.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:12 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,751 times
Quote:
Of course it does. Redfin does not respond. I pointed out to my client they well might not...and they did not.
Yes other agents screws around sometimes. And should be chastised for it. But most answer their phone. Not true at Redfin.
I'm not defending Redfin as I have absolutely no interest in doing so. However, it's interesting that you are attributing this experience to Redfin overall.

Like saying Keller Williams does not respond. RE/MAX does not answer their phones.

I agree with Bo that this is not uncommon. You lost the deal for your buyer. Live with it and do better next time. Can't win them all. Blaming others for not returning your phone calls reflects poorly on you. As Redfin grows their market share in your market, it's good for buyers to know that you cannot work effectively with them for whatever reason and perhaps they should consider this when choosing a buyer's agent.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:19 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Cannot single out Redfin.
This is common beyond belief with too many agents.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:27 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,751 times
Wow. just_because, BoBromhall and MikeJaquish all agree on something! Faced with such unanimous dissent across party lines, I think lvmensch should reevaluate his/her position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals