Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 06:59 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I can see where race, religion, and gender spectrum are protected. But what about observations one might make related to noise immediately nextdoor to the subject property. Lots of kids? That may be welcomed or a deal breaker. Garage band? Ditto. I don’t understand why a realtor can’t be your eyes and especially ears when you are far away.
"Lots of kids" could lead to a presumption of discrimination on the basis of "family status," and a protected class.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 09-05-2020 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 07:09 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
I have never ever known a person to object to family status in principle. But if you want kids nextdoor as potential playmates for yours then that’s a selling point. If you do sound studio work at home or if your little dog barks at sharp sounds, then that would only force you to move again. That’s a weird standard.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:11 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
I have never ever known a person to object to family status in principle. But if you want kids nextdoor as potential playmates for yours then that’s a selling point. If you do sound studio work at home or if your little dog barks at sharp sounds, then that would only force you to move again. That’s a weird standard.
I have absolutely known people who object to kids. Buyers and Sellers. Some people are just not very nice about it, either.

Sound studio work can be addressed by structural standards, which are never a protected class.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:24 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
I can see where race, religion, and gender spectrum are protected. But what about observations one might make related to noise immediately nextdoor to the subject property. Lots of kids? That may be welcomed or a deal breaker. Garage band? Ditto. I don’t understand why a realtor can’t be your eyes and especially ears when you are far away.
I agree. The pearl-clutching over this question is a little ridiculous (and disingenuous), I think. Most people want a good idea of what kind of neighborhood they're buying and moving into, and - when you can't personally visit it to observe and make an assessment - you have to base it on SOMETHING. It's only the largest investment you'll ever make; naturally, realtors just can't imagine why anyone would have questions and preferences!

I understand there are laws prohibiting the overt asking and answering of certain questions, which is why I'm inquiring if there's a legal way to ascertain this info...

Old 09-05-2020, 09:05 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Thinking back to that phrase “family status” what does that really mean? Rich or poor. Heads of corporations vs criminals. Politicians vs plebeians. Parents vs nonparents? This may have been added to the agent standards document because it was so nebulous.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:53 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Thinking back to that phrase “family status” what does that really mean? Rich or poor. Heads of corporations vs criminals. Politicians vs plebeians. Parents vs nonparents? This may have been added to the agent standards document because it was so nebulous.
It means people with children. It was common to see rentals that said "no kids."

Old 09-05-2020, 10:05 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I agree. The pearl-clutching over this question is a little ridiculous (and disingenuous), I think. Most people want a good idea of what kind of neighborhood they're buying and moving into, and - when you can't personally visit it to observe and make an assessment - you have to base it on SOMETHING. It's only the largest investment you'll ever make; naturally, realtors just can't imagine why anyone would have questions and preferences!

I understand there are laws prohibiting the overt asking and answering of certain questions, which is why I'm inquiring if there's a legal way to ascertain this info...
I don't think there is any pearl-clutching. What you are asking is just subjective. I know you don't feel that it is, but for example, I used to work waaaay back in the day in college as an EMT, and I would go into Cabrini Green in Chicago. My definition of "bad area" is different than Salem Oregon because based on my big city experience, we have none here. I mean none. Now, someone that was born and raised here will disagree with me as their definition of bad area, is much, much different than mine. So when people buying from out of state ask me to avoid "bad areas", I have to spend time asking what that means. Locals think some areas are bad, but people from large metros will agree with me that we have none.

So, your preferences are indeed subjective. I tell people who give me that "criteria" about what I think a bad area is and then we agree that we need to use more concrete criteria.

Go with something concrete. I want a neighborhood where 90% of the yards are well manicured and taken care of. I want a neighborhood where 70% of homes are homeowner occupied and not rentals. I know for me, I can easily pull the owner vs. rental from the assessors office.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:19 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Honestly, it really shouldn't be difficult to find out these days with demographic data and Google Street View.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:21 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
A long time ago a relo buyer asked me where the bad areas are. I asked what that meant to them. They said hard to get to the highway.

So each house I showed them also included a map view of where the onramps were in relation to the property.

The house they picked was 2 rights and one left turn to the street that leads to the highway.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:06 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
A long time ago a relo buyer asked me where the bad areas are. I asked what that meant to them. They said hard to get to the highway.

So each house I showed them also included a map view of where the onramps were in relation to the property.

The house they picked was 2 rights and one left turn to the street that leads to the highway.
They were probably afraid to tell you what they really meant by "a bad area" since we all have to parse our words these days. Easy access to the interstate would be "a convenient area."

As for demographic info being easily found online, I've seen it for cities and towns, but not for particular neighborhoods. Can you share some links?

Last edited by otterhere; 09-05-2020 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals