Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:10 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,780,399 times

Advertisements

I have had several other Realtors ask me to market their properties for them. My background is marketing and I have extensive internet skills (at least compared to most of them). I'm very busy but working with buyers more than sellers, so I don't have a problem doing this. I already have a list of 20 things I do when I market one of my listings, so I can just do the same for them. This might include entering their listings into the MLS. Please give me your opinions on a couple things:

1. If I enter the info. of a listing for another agent, will I be accepting any liability for the info.?

2. Same question for the marketing with the info. they supply me. I realize I should have the disclaimer on the ads but I know that doesn't always cover things.

3. How should I charge for this type of help? It was suggested I have a menu of services and charge per item. What would I charge? Or is there a better way?

Thanks for the help! Any other ideas are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:24 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I have had several other Realtors ask me to market their properties for them. My background is marketing and I have extensive internet skills (at least compared to most of them). I'm very busy but working with buyers more than sellers, so I don't have a problem doing this. I already have a list of 20 things I do when I market one of my listings, so I can just do the same for them. This might include entering their listings into the MLS. Please give me your opinions on a couple things:

1. If I enter the info. of a listing for another agent, will I be accepting any liability for the info.?

2. Same question for the marketing with the info. they supply me. I realize I should have the disclaimer on the ads but I know that doesn't always cover things.

3. How should I charge for this type of help? It was suggested I have a menu of services and charge per item. What would I charge? Or is there a better way?

Thanks for the help! Any other ideas are welcome.
It might be overthinking, but I think you need a legal contract, not just a casual work arrangement
You would want them to indemnify you against possible claims when you are accurately posting what they give you.
Same answer on the marketing.

What to charge? No idea...

Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,844,683 times
Rapture, do a google search of Virtual Assistants. Some just do marketing for Agents and you may be able to find what you are looking for there. Some will do an hourly charge, others will do a fee that is due on closing. Also, you may want to get in the habit of calling them Real Estate Agents. Realtors are REA that are members of NAR. But not all REA are Realtors. You don't want to limit your business to just Realtors... you may want to work with all AGENTS and BROKERS!!

Shelly

Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Set up an in house referral fee. If you're doing all the work marketing I'd offer them a 25% referral and list it in your name. But that's just me.

Perhaps a 50/50 or take 25% yourself as a referral from their commission.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:52 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,430,794 times
Why don't you market the properties for them, but have them agree to let you put your number, email, etc as the contact info, so you can bring the buyer if they call off the ad.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:02 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
I'm actually going to revisit my post again. I think you should definitely just take the listing (if they're willing) and pay them a referral fee. If they are to incompetent to market their own properties they probably shouldn't even be allowed to work with the sellers.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,844,683 times
LOL!! I completely agree Brandon!!

shelly

Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 AM

Thanks for all the opinions.

Brandon, I don't know that they are incompetent but my background is marketing and web design so I have a lot more internet skills than probably the average agent. The ones that know me, know this and want to utilize my skills and pay me for it. I just don't know how to charge. Also, they are very busy agents with a lot of listings and maybe are considering getting an assistant but if I help with the marketing than they won't have to. I won't have all the responsibilities of an assistant, just do the internet and some print marketing.

I was thinking about creating a "menu of services" with a charge for each. They can select what they want me to do and then pay me for what they select.

I was also thinking of asking for a small percentage of the sale and just do everything that's on the menu of services. I would probably make more money this way but I also risk not getting paid at all just like the agent who has the listing.

I guess I could do it both ways and offer the agent their choice. What do you think about this? What percentage would be fair? I know it depends on what I do for them. I could offer everything from entering the listing into the MLS to adding the site on 20-30 web site, plus I have about twenty other things I do. They are on the menu of services.

As far as the liability, maybe I could have the listing agent sign something saying that they will take all responsibility. I could sign something saying that I will only use information provided by the listing agent? I guess that's a question for an attorney.

Last edited by Global Friend; 09-11-2008 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Why don't you market the properties for them, but have them agree to let you put your number, email, etc as the contact info, so you can bring the buyer if they call off the ad.
Actually, I already do this and I do get calls and emails for those listings. I've also had people sign onto my web site because of those listings.

The OP was because people are approaching me to advertise for them and want to pay me. So I could do it both ways. It would be kind of like a part time job.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,170,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Thanks for all the opinions.

Brandon, I don't know that they are incompetent but my background is marketing and web design so I have a lot more internet skills than probably the average agent. The ones that know me, know this and want to utilize my skills and pay me for it. I just don't know how to charge. Also, they are very busy agents with a lot of listings and maybe are considering getting an assistant but if I help with the marketing than they won't have to. I won't have all the responsibilities of an assistant, just do the internet and some print marketing.

I was thinking about creating a "menu of services" with a charge for each. They can select what they want me to do and then pay me for what they select.

I was also thinking of asking for a small percentage of the sale and just do everything that's on the menu of services. I would probably make more money this way but I also risk not getting paid at all just like the agent who has the listing.

I guess I could do it both ways and offer the agent their choice. What do you think about this? What percentage would be fair? I know it depends on what I do for them. I could offer everything from entering the listing into the MLS to adding the site on 20-30 web site, plus I have about twenty other things I do. They are on the menu of services.

As far as the liability, maybe I could have the listing agent sign something saying that they will take all responsibility. I could sign something saying that I will only use information provided by the listing agent? I guess that's a question for an attorney.
Wow, I wish you were in AZ! It sounds like you do an invaluable service and should be paid well for it. Just remember that.

Last edited by Global Friend; 09-11-2008 at 04:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals