Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 05:34 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,137 times

Advertisements

You might also check into whether their is a mentor program or not. That has been a great help to alot of people, instead of you not knowing where to turn. They will guide you in EVERY step of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 06:14 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,360 times
I can echo the sentiments already posted - Mike, what a great list. When I was making that decision, I was focused on the reputation of the company within the community as well as the level of training and resources available to me as a new agent.

I agree with Debbie (since we're at the same office! ) that our Broker in Charge, Carole, sets the tone for the office. I remember her saying very early on that "like attracts like", and she has attracted some great people to that office. Starting out, I knew I had the support not just of my Broker in Charge and mentor, but every agent in that office was willing to help and answer questions if I needed it. (And in the beginning, you'll have a lot of questions, so you need to feel comfortable asking them!)

Old 03-16-2007, 09:30 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times
Hi just wanted to say congratulations on passing the exam! I am a Long Islander looking to relocate to SC or Nc and I am interested in the career of Real Estate too! Good Luck!!!!

Old 03-16-2007, 04:02 PM

17 posts, read 56,009 times
Congrats.

I am in broker post-licensing this week and next at the HPW School in Raleigh. I was you this time last year.

Bit of advice - take those three 30-hour broker courses as soon as you can, because it's just a more detailed review of what you just did. A ton of it you will not use in day-to-day work, and the info goes bye-bye quickly!!

My father (BIC) and I co-own a small firm in Clayton, doing exclusive buyer's representation, so a lot of the seller-related agency stuff I'm having to pour over again for this broker class. Ugh.

Again, congrats and good luck!

Old 03-16-2007, 04:28 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,552 times
Can someone tell me how much 'prospecting' or cold-calling is involved with a real estate career? Is most time spent prospecting or more on showings, open-houses and the like? Thank you.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbo1 View Post
Can someone tell me how much 'prospecting' or cold-calling is involved with a real estate career? Is most time spent prospecting or more on showings, open-houses and the like? Thank you.
Well, your career path greatly depends on you, since you will be an independent business person, regardless of which company you are affiliated with. Personally, I had one job out of college which required cold calling, and I will NEVER do that again. ever.

"Prospecting", on the other hand, refers to lead-generating activities; that is, finding the people who need your services. That is much broader, and imo, a good realtor is always prospecting - putting yourself in situations where you are likely to meet someone who knows someone who needs you. As an independent agent, it is up to you which of those methods you will use, if any.

Starting out, it is a good idea to try everything to find your niche, what you're best at. However, if you're not comfortable meeting people and being "on" everywhere you go, gas station, grocery store, you name it, then you limit yourself each time you leave the house.

So - no cold calling, but lots of meeting new friends!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:26 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
Well, your career path greatly depends on you, since you will be an independent business person, regardless of which company you are affiliated with. Personally, I had one job out of college which required cold calling, and I will NEVER do that again. ever.

"Prospecting", on the other hand, refers to lead-generating activities; that is, finding the people who need your services. That is much broader, and imo, a good realtor is always prospecting - putting yourself in situations where you are likely to meet someone who knows someone who needs you. As an independent agent, it is up to you which of those methods you will use, if any.

Starting out, it is a good idea to try everything to find your niche, what you're best at. However, if you're not comfortable meeting people and being "on" everywhere you go, gas station, grocery store, you name it, then you limit yourself each time you leave the house.

So - no cold calling, but lots of meeting new friends!
Wow! I have never heard it described that way. Thank you. Cold-calling is perhaps the worst situation for me to ever be in. I would never survive. However, the prospecting as you describe it, sounds enjoyable. I like the approach of 'meeting new friends'. Thank you for that perspective.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbo1 View Post
Wow! I have never heard it described that way. Thank you. Cold-calling is perhaps the worst situation for me to ever be in. I would never survive. However, the prospecting as you describe it, sounds enjoyable. I like the approach of 'meeting new friends'. Thank you for that perspective.
You're quite welcome! I love what I do, and if I ever stop loving it, then it's time to find something else. I don't see that happening, though!

Old 03-18-2007, 02:35 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
resources available to me as a new agent.
First let me say I am not a real estate agent. But I think the point that many of the realtors like NCHomeFinder makes about available resources is a great point! The company that our realtor works for provides them some sort of advertising fund for Sunday Open House Ads, Color House Info Sheets, AND glossy post card house mailers. When our realtors list a house in our neighborhood they send out a post card to all the local residents about the listing. There is alot of moving up within the same neighborhood and alot of us have friends that want to move into this neighborhood. So the post cards are really worth it here.

So what are you getting in return for that 50% or 30% commis that you give back?

Good luck to you in starting your new career!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals