Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times

Advertisements

I belong to both, and I like both. They're very different, but they both have the same idea - if you're helpful without being pushy, and you clearly know what you're talking about, most people are more likely to want to work with you.

As real estate agents, we already have a strike against us just because of the perception that we're "sales people" - it doesn't help to act like it, and that's what soliciting in violation of the TOS - any TOS - is. You wouldn't behave in such a fashion in someone's living room (deliberately violating their rules of behavior) and expect to get any business from them; why should it be any different here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:32 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I'm a member of both sites. Funny how they all jump to defend her and comfort her when she clearly violated the TOS of CD. I'm not a big fan of AR. And as for the "offended" (or "offending" as in the TOS) agent if you ask me she needs to toughen up. Realtors need a thick skin or they won't be happy in life. I've picked up a few deals from here and I don't solicit. Like CD better for it honestly.
I have learned a lot on AR. I follow a few bloggers there.
Don't underestimate the value of a high ranking there.
And they do great SEO.
But, it was better before many of the early members determined they were farther ahead to post their content to their own sites.

I have learned a lot on CD.
CD does great SEO, too, although I think a lot of it is organic due to the size of the site, the amount of content.

Then, there is Trulia.
I rank #1 in Cary and Wake County and number 5 in North Carolina, for free, and they want to sell me Pro at $400/yr, when all but 1 of the "Pro's" rank below me.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 PM

10,963 posts, read 21,978,734 times
I've learned from both but like you said they are different. I actually rank #1 in my area on AR. I don't use Trulia for anything but posting listings. I assume I don't rank there w/o blogging.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:10 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
AR is the #4 driver of traffic to my website. It is an incredible business tool. CD has one of the highest time spent on my website. CD sends a lot fewer folks my way, but those that do check me out spend a lot of time on my site. AR sends quantity, CD quality.

Both work.

Trulia for me is about 10th for driving traffic. I don't do much with the big Z. Gotta actually work with people at some point.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:26 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,427,778 times
Only the oldies remember when we could take away rep points as easily as we give them.

It was nice to see the CD regulars - Melina, Rod nice to see your post.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:42 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Only the oldies remember when we could take away rep points as easily as we give them.

That means FrozenAngel would have been negative...

Old 01-23-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I've learned from both but like you said they are different. I actually rank #1 in my area on AR. I don't use Trulia for anything but posting listings. I assume I don't rank there w/o blogging.
We get a lot of folks asking real estate questions on Trulia in this area.
I get email alerts when a local questioin is asked and I answer quite a few questions.
Answering questions on Trulia gives points.

It is not unlike hanging out on CD and choosing to be helpful or merely to troll for leads. And soliciting is allowed on Trulia.
Some agents use the opportunity to answer the question with helpful information.
Some agents avoid helping by teasing and offer the old, "Call me because I think I'm brilliant, and I will tell you. Well... I'll sell you."

Either Trulia method gives points, but I can't attribute any results to the #1 ranks. And, being eligible, I just might attain Level 1 VIP status.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

I don't miss that negative rep function at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
That means FrozenAngel would have been negative...
Hey...
We are "Drama-Free," right?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Well, I thought about it overnight, and did finally post, trying to remain drama-free.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, I thought about it overnight, and did finally post, trying to remain drama-free.
You done good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals