Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times

Advertisements

There is a home I am interested in. It backs up to a horse/nature trail. There are woods b/w the trail and the home's yard, but I am not sure how many feet of woods (how dense it is).

What are the negatives and positives of this home (generally speaking)? What kinds of things may come along with a home in a location such as this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
The plus is the privacy, likely quiet and nice views, at the expense of bugs to hell and back, raccoons, skunks, coyotes, and other forest friends.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
A big part of the answer will depend on where on the planet this house is located. If you are talking about backing up to The Hitchcock Woods in Aiken, SC the likelihood of encountering anything more bothersome than a fox is similar to your odds of winning the Powerball. If the woods are the type that have bears, coyote, etc. then those odds increase.

Is there any type of campground in those woods? Do they allow hunting? Do they allow ATVs?

Too many variables and not enough info.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:27 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Walk the trail yourself to determine if there are any negatives. Talk to the neighbors to see if they've had any problems with trail users. Find out where the trail heads are -- is there adequate parking, is there any trash strewn around the area, etc.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Walk the trail yourself to determine if there are any negatives. Talk to the neighbors to see if they've had any problems with trail users. Find out where the trail heads are -- is there adequate parking, is there any trash strewn around the area, etc.

Good suggestions!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The home is located in NY, Long Island and it's really not a large trail or area...no ATV or hunting, very basic back and forth horse riding trail. I will see what else i can find out by touring the trail.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:25 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
Ohiogirl offers the best suggestions. The only concern I would have is privacy, but this would be dependent on how much wooded space is between your house and the trail. Personally it would bother me to have people walking or riding steps from my backyard, I would feel like I have no privacy, but others may not mind. Good luck

Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,455 times
You mentioned other houses in the area. Does this mean the area is a "planned community" with a trail running along the back or between it? Some areas around here that are "planned communities" with nature trails running through them ended up having problems with crime because the trails proved to be great escape paths to and from houses that burglars used. If the area you are looking at is small with houses far and few in between then probably not so much of problem like the one I am thinking of. But you might want to check if there's been past burglary issues.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:55 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
Does the house have room for a barn???? I bought a house 5 years ago and in a million years I never intended to own a horse!!!!!! LSS....there are trails, I took riding lessons and I'm now proud mom of 2 horses and a barn! I would think it's a plus! Good luck! It sounds fabulous!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:24 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Some people really look for no back neighbors to get a sense of privacy. That's a plus in my opinion. There are some paranoid types that worry about being attacked - they'll want to know their backyard neighbors.
Pros and cons either way. Its a wash.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
We kind of back up to a trail, it is over a hill and back down. Rarely we'll get a stray dog and their owner retrieving it. Horses are allowed on the trail and we haven't had an issue at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate