Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 05:23 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

This is simple stuff...
Theories are nice, but I was hoping for actual data IRL. You know, man (or woman) on the street.

In your market are you seeing more applications to rent? Are rental prices rising?

If you don't want to disclose your location, that's cool, but give me a general idea (e.g. "mid-sized city on the west coast").

It would also be nice to know what type of investment property you own: apt complex? Condo/townhouse? Single Family?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 06:45 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,455 times
I have been a realtor for 26 years, full time, all the time and I have never been a part of as many rental situations as I have this year. Sellers who must leave their homes for a new job....renters who have jobs but also a bankruptcy or a short sale or foreclosure in their background. They have to live somewhere. And it is kind of the same thing....the homes that are well kept in decent areas asking a reasonable rent have multiple offers. Dogs seem to be accepted by landlords but cats, not so much. When our government does away with Fannie and Freddie and the mortgage tax deduction....see where the rental market heads. These are unprecedented times. Sellers have only one house to sell...your realtor is seeing this 10x over every day. This is a business that requires work and diligence and pricing for the market not for what you "need". If I hear that word again from sellers, I think I will shoot myself.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 PM

17,424 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Theories are nice, but I was hoping for actual data IRL. You know, man (or woman) on the street.

In your market are you seeing more applications to rent? Are rental prices rising?

If you don't want to disclose your location, that's cool, but give me a general idea (e.g. "mid-sized city on the west coast").

It would also be nice to know what type of investment property you own: apt complex? Condo/townhouse? Single Family?

TIA.
I'll answer while we wait for chet to come back.

For the first time, I'm being contacted in large numbers by family & friends of our current tenants looking for rental availability. While prices aren't necessarily rising, I am having absolutely no problem in filling our vacancies.

I'm in NW Indiana - most of which is considered a part of the Chicagoland area.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Rentals will abound... Unfortunately, I hate what they do to a neighborhood when there's too many of them.

Matterhorn's von Greyerz Explains Why The Apocalypse Is Nigh | zero hedge

Old 08-20-2010, 04:03 AM

359 posts, read 1,119,564 times
In April 2008 I was in the market to rent and had an abundance to choose from. I ended up with a brand new condo with granite/hardwood, etc. all never lived in and could pick from multiple floor plans. They were also lakefront. Poor developer couldn't sell them to save his life. Started leasing asking $1800/mo. I negotiated $1200/mo - 3 mo. lease and month to month thereafter. Lived there 2 1/2 yrs while I searched for a house and rent never went up (developer was very nice and appreciated the fact that I took such good care of his unit)

Fastforward to June 2010.......LONG waiting list for the condos. Minimum requirement 1 yr lease but rent was still $1200/mo. I was out and within less than a week unit was rented.

Maybe the pricing of lease units hasn't gone up but demand sure has. All those people that either lost their houses or walked away have to live somewhere.

PS - $1200/mo in my area is pricey but they were very nice and in a very nice area.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:00 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:

TIA.

exactly. the only answer i ever get, is the claim that "foreclosures will create more demands for rentals." i never see any data to support this, and i think the price dynamics of the rental market are way more complicated than that. demand isn't just about the number of people, it is also their ability to pay.

Last edited by le roi; 08-20-2010 at 06:06 AM..

Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,650 times
Well here's what's happening with rents in the UK....

Demand for rented accommodation at record levels | News

http://www.countrywide.co.uk/media/p...2-4f0ff8786ddc

Interestingly the highest demand is outside London - in the South West (Avon/Devon/Somerset/Dorset/Cornwall)

With regard to foreclosures, banks simply aren't interested in operating as residential letting agents. It's not cost effective for them. When they repossess a property they'll obviously try and sell it - for the right price - if they can't get the price they want, they'll just hold onto it.

A person formerly living in a now foreclosed house may have been unable to afford the cost of "owning" that house BUT (assuming they still have a job) may be better placed to afford a rental property - particularly when they are no longer liable for expenses such as maintenance costs, insurance and property taxes.

In my area in the States there are plenty of empty foreclosed homes - for sale, but not for rent - and few actual rental properties.

So, rents are staying pretty bouyant.

Last edited by London Girl; 08-26-2010 at 12:33 AM..

Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 AM

158 posts, read 405,450 times
Default Rental house prices

In my area rents for very nice homes that failed to sell are dropping steadily. Every one has offers like first month rent free, etc. That is lower rent my friends. I keep seeing the same houses coming up for rent on craigslist over and over for months and even years. (I've been here 32 months and check the listings at least weekly, just in case I find something I like better.)
Puget Sound area, WA

Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:

TIA.
Los Angeles rents have fallen dramatically and continue to stay depressed. In some of the formerly high priced areas, rents have fallen as much as 25-33% from 4 years ago.

I have yet to see a property where rent is greater than the mortgage amount. For a while in early 2009, Compton came closest as homes were pushing down into the $170-180K range, but the numbers still weren't there yet as you are most likely looking at Section 8 tennants who will be paying market rates of $800-1000 a month. Unfortunately there, even if the numbers panned out, you have nearly a 100% change of having to continually make repairs to the place.

People forget that at least in Los Angeles, in the early and mid 90's, landlords suffered greatly.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:20 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
exactly. the only answer i ever get, is the claim that "foreclosures will create more demands for rentals." i never see any data to support this, and i think the price dynamics of the rental market are way more complicated than that. demand isn't just about the number of people, it is also their ability to pay.
You are correct, that logic doesn't make sense. More foreclosures will mean more demand for rentals, but as foreclosed homes and potential home buyers will be turned into renters those foreclosed homes will be turned into rentals which means a larger supply of rentals.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate