Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

...of main "ambulance route" being so close to the hospital that you start to feel like a fire house dalmation, always awaken by inbound emergency vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 12:28 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I thought the price we bid for the first house was insulting and yet we never hit our "top price". We already have a price in mind that we are willing to pay - and they've alread lowered their asking by almost 10%. The rental market for this house, judging from what our property manager is getting for comparable houses, we'll turn a small monthly profit. It's actually a nicer house and/but (depending on pov), it's in town. We wanted no neighbors and we have that for us. But most people don't want to be that far out.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...of main "ambulance route" being so close to the hospital that you start to feel like a fire house dalmation, always awaken by inbound emergency vehicles.
It's not what it seems. The hospital is a tad small - it has fewer than 50 beds. While it does have an ER, I can't see it as a hub of bustling activity with nightly inbound ambulances. Maybe once a week, more likely to be getting bit by a cow or run over by a tractor accidents. Perhaps falling down the hill into the holler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Would your current tenants want to move into the other house when you are ready to move into yours?

Good tenants are hard to find.
We think yes. They knew when they rented from us that we were planning to move in at the earliest in 22 months but that there was an outside chance my husband would delay his retirement. And your question is exactly why we are now more seriously considering the 2nd house purchase - we think there is a good likelihood that they would want to move into the other house - location being one reason and our rent being reasonable another. And I wouldn't leave out the PM being a reason - looking at it from both sides - LL and Tenant - he is a gem. It's totally business with him; he has experience, he's fair but firm. He has connections with service people in the area. The size of the ugly kitchen house is actually a little bigger although there is an acre less - still talking over 2 acres.

It hasn't been discussed with the tenants, but our property manager seems to think they would. We are slightly ahead with our current house and actually that is way more than we expected when we purchased our retirement house.

To answer Chet further - the area we are looking at really doesn't have a neighborhood - the town is tiny and I've seen only 1 foreclosure in this and surrounding towns in over a year of looking. The one I saw was snatched up before I could ask a question about it and it was a STEAL but it was also going to require some work to make it livable again. Why do I say a steal - because I know what comparable homes (to the foreclosure) in this and surrounding counties are selling for and this was a bargain - but that would have depended on the amount and kind of work needed to rehab it - without an inspection report, it's just what it looked like it needed (at least the electric panel was still intact).

As for the ugly green kitchen house, yes, it's under priced - at least in part because of the kitchen. Comparable properties in the counties are selling for its original listing price - now that means it could have some serious structural issues, need a new roof, have plumbing problems, have an issue with the septic (town water) but we won't know without further investigation. The tax records online are 3-4 months behind (posting) but it doesn't appear to be a reo or vacant.

According to the PM, lower priced rental homes as opposed to apartments and as opposed to upscale homes are in short supply and he gets them rented within a month. He rented our current house within a week and had 2 checked out/verified income tenants waiting for a house to rent.

Unemployment in that area is not as bad as many areas and a lot of jobs are in agriculture (not eggs).

More questions/issues we need to consider - please.

Even though I have answers for some of the questions/issues you've raised - they are current issues and you all have made me look at those situations for the next couple of years - what is today may not be next year or the 3 years from now. So keep 'em coming at me.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:15 PM

And yes, we'll probably buy another house sight unseen.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:52 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Housing prices can't go much lower.
That's what people said last year. And prices are lower...
Maybe you are right and you get lucky and prices don't go lower. But why not plan for the worst scenario. Would if prices go down 5, 10, 20% more? Are you ok with it?

Before you say, well it just can't, why CAN'T it? We've all seen what happened in the past 3 years. Some home prices have dropped 50%!

I always think one should plan for the worst and hope for the best, when delving into these situations rather than just keeping your fingers crossed and praying the market turns around. When that is something you have no control over.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:53 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
And yes, we'll probably buy another house sight unseen.
Don't you think it's worth spending a couple hundred dollars on an airline ticket and hotel than risking hundreds of thousands of dollars?

You obvioulsy have the money...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate