Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 02:49 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times

Advertisements

No I wouldn't buy it no matter the price. And it would be hard to sell it later if you choose to move. I would wait and keep looking, and fins something I can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 05:29 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Honestly I would personally never do it. You never know what the future state of the business location might be or what can change there that may adversely impact your property and quality of life.

Case in point - our home backs up to a house of worship. When I say backs up - there is actually quite a bit of land/woods and some water between us so its not right on top of us. We had no problems for about 5 years. Services or any functions were quiet, etc. Then about 3 years ago they decided to start leasing the place to some cult-like religious group and all you hear now is ridiculously loud music and preaching at odd hours. We can hear it even with our windows and doors closed. We have complained as have some of our neighbors, frankly the town and folks who own the place don't give a sh** about our complaints so we have had to deal with it. The only good news is that the services only last about 2 hours or so and then we have some peace. But the hours are just bizarre at times. Services starting at 9pm - we have two small kids. Some days they are there almost all day? Then there is the annual festival or whatever when they actually bus people in from where ever and then all day and night you hear the bass and the drone of yelling and 'preaching' going on. Thankfully we hope to move soon, but I would never make that mistake again.
So sorry about this. What a terrible let down when you have been enjoying your home. Sometimes when I think the safest thing to do is buy acreage....I realize how sound travels and that can be one thing you can't get away from.

Last home, we had a main road over a mile from our house as the bird flies. Past woods, houses, etc. At about a mile away, there was a small quiet factory of some sort that closed or moved. And the new people opened up a restaurant. They were still in the commercial zone. Then they decided to expand their bar outside and have music. 1 a.m. was their cut off time. And not just on weekends. They performed Thursdays too. Maybe more in summer.

Through the process of that transition, a well off hard working couple with kids bought a nice house that backed up to this quiet little factory. There was lots of woods between the two. They more than doubled the size of their home, changed the driveway and landscaping. Really made it theirs.

And then the factory sold to the restaurant that eked into the woods for a parking lot. The band played on the other side of the restaurant but still you can hear it well past that couple's home. In fact, there was one skylight in my own houses you could hear it through. I don't know how that couple stood it. I still think about that sometimes.

For you...I wonder if enough neighbors got together could you all get them to insulate better, wall up sound-escaping windows or something.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
Uconn97, see if the city has a noise ordinance. You can also sue for a nuisance abatement.

OP, as appraisers, we routinely find a diminuation of value for homes adjoining business properties, even with a 8' privacy fence and green belt. Now the loss is not as bad during p markets, but can really impact you if the market is on a down turn.

I would avoid purchasing such a property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate