Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,390 times

Advertisements

During the inspection of the house we are under contract to buy, it came to light that the septic system is shot. Being unfamiliar with septic systems, what does this mean for us cost wise, and how do we proceed? How costly is a new septic system? Do we expect a credit for this or...?

Any insights are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:16 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
If this were me I would immediately request the seller to replace the system. I imagine it would be a requirement for a loan to be able to flush toilets and bathe.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:28 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
If this were me I would immediately request the seller to replace the system. I imagine it would be a requirement for a loan to be able to flush toilets and bathe.
This.

In this market, you should no doubt be able to get the seller to either have it fixed, or repair costs to you in the form of closing credits.

They're going to know they'll need to do it for another buyer, too, so I highly doubt they'll do much more than flinch at the request. They'll cave if they're motivated to sell.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Costs depend on what " shot" means, local ordinances and usually the # of brs.

Septic replacement can easily run 5 $$,$$$ in my area.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
In my area a standard septic is about $5,000. The issue you have is land. You can't reuse a drainfield and you have to be away from water sources, so sometimes you have to upgrade the septic system which can run $20k depending on the system.

This is a no brainer. Ask the sellers to put in a new septic system.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:26 PM

574 posts, read 1,640,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
During the inspection of the house we are under contract to buy, it came to light that the septic system is shot. Being unfamiliar with septic systems, what does this mean for us cost wise, and how do we proceed? How costly is a new septic system? Do we expect a credit for this or...?

Any insights are appreciated!
You need to have a reputable septic installation company come out and provide a cost estimate to remove the old system and replace it with a new (or whichever part(s) are shot). If the system is old enough it might have been installed before heavy regulations. There might potentially be costs or even prohibitions/requirements now to be dealt with for replacing a system that could cost large amounts more than expected. I would not make any demand on the seller until you know you want to proceed and how much it will cost.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Is the leach field shot or the tank itself? The inspector would likely have estimated the cost to repair/replace.

Although it hasn't always been the case, these days most jurisdictions require an area for the leach field to be expanded as part of the process of permitting a septic system.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:24 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,823 times
Your options:

1) Walk if your offer is contingent upon inspection.

2) Have sellers put in a new system and if you do, have them restore all landscaping. A septic installer can leave a pretty big mess in their wake.

If you still wish to be in the deal, read all that you can find about septic systems requirements for your state or county depending upon the regulating authority. You will need a copy of the septic perc test report from the testing authority to properly evaluate what the problem is. In our area the testing authority it is the state DEC.

A lot of this information can be found online. A professional consultation is definitely in order. As others have noted, there there are a number of issues involved especially on a smallish lot with a private on-site well. Replacement might not be possible or extremely costly based on regulations, ground water, the size of the lot, and size and location of the system.

In our area, a house cannot be financed without a certified septic system. Take your time (that house isn't likely to be sold from underneath you with this problem) extend your dates by mutual agreement, leave your walking options open and get good advice. Good luck to you.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:07 PM

369 posts, read 1,960,390 times
Thanks, everyone, for the varied and helpful responses. Having never dealt with a septic before, I was really in the dark about the ramifications of dealing with a problem one. We will see how things go...

Old 02-18-2011, 07:16 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
During the inspection of the house we are under contract to buy, it came to light that the septic system is shot.
I call B.S. on this one. What kind of inspector? Some clown with a clip board doing a general inspection? A certified septic engineer/installer; your local board of health officer? I've heard professionals say all kinds of things but "shot" isn't a legal or technical term requiring a specific remedy. If I was the seller I'd say 'prove it' or 'lose it.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate