Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 PM

63 posts, read 95,087 times

Advertisements

So here's my question and dilemma. I'm looking at an advertised 6 bedroom home. When I went to check the county appraisal, it shows as a 4 bedroom so I'm guessing that they didn't pull a permit when they finished the basement and added 2 bedrooms to the basement.

It has a 1500 gallon septic tank and the information I have is a 30' long x 20' wide drain field. Since they size septic systems to bedrooms, it stands to reason that PERHAPS the drain field isn't big enough for the 6 bedroom house (where it likely was for a 4 bedroom house).

A friend of mine thought I might have liability IF the drain field isn't sized properly for a 6 bedroom house on that day that I might go to sell years from now. The house was built in 1995.

I'm about to make an offer on this house but wanted to get some information as to liability and also, whether the size above is indeed adequate for a 6 bedroom house. Currently, all bedrooms are full (7 in current owners family) and the owners have lived there 4 years (which is the last time the septic tank was pumped).

Thanks for any help, thoughts and ideas on this matter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
I agree that you could have problems. Did you check with the health department "as-built" records? That will lert you review the septic system and may be more accurate than the appraisers office. I think its the state office site, but it could be King County.

Also, Washington law will require the sellers to have an inspection done on the septic system. part of that will tell you if its needs to be pumped. If it does, and depending on when last pumped, you may conclude it is inadequate. On the other side if it didnt need Pumping you may deduce its been working fine. You could make this inspections a contingency on the sale.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,134 times
I always advise buyers that it's more about frequency of maintenance and how many people live in the home than what the county shows was originally permitted. You can google an online chart that will tell you how often to have the system pumped based on how many people are living in your home and how big the tank is. You could also talk with a septic engineer to find out more about how your family's needs will work with the existing system.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I agree with Wendy K, you can pump and do fine with a smaller tank, and sizing by bedrooms seems silly anyway because people like me have 3 people in 6 bedrooms, others may have 10 people in 3 bedrooms. The problem is that many cities/counties will require that it be upgraded to suit the number of bedrooms any time they are there to inspect for a permit, and if the additional bedrooms were not permitted your lender and/or insurance company may have a problem with it. You go to get a permit after the fact and they require the bigger septic system.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 PM

397 posts, read 613,588 times
Would get the permit on the septic tank. This usually lists the # of bedrooms it is "sized" for. Anything less than 6 bedrooms could be problem for you if and when you try to resell.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,607 times
I don't know what the laws are in WA, but in Tucson a septic system is required to be "re-certified" when a home is sold. Seller usually pays for the inspection. Doesn't matter if it is a cash sale or financed, it must pass a new inspection. Would definitely want offer contingent on passing a septic inspection. Generally not a cheap fix if it needs to be brought up to code.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:32 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
you can pump and do fine with a smaller tank, and sizing by bedrooms seems silly anyway because people like me have 3 people in 6 bedrooms, others may have 10 people in 3 bedrooms.
Pump and do fine? The reason you pump a septic tank is to get the solids out from the bottom. Pumping does not help your septic handle more people. The tank needs to be appropriately sized for the process of breaking down the organics properly. And the leech field needs to be an appropriate size to handle this flow. Pumping will not help this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Skeptic View Post
Would get the permit on the septic tank. This usually lists the # of bedrooms it is "sized" for. Anything less than 6 bedrooms could be problematic for you if and when you try to resell.
Correct. As for having the correct size septic design for the number of bedrooms, its a legal issue. You could be legally liable for damages if someone bought a 6 bedroom home that was not permitted and only had a septic design for a 4 bedroom. Although a long process, someone could easily sue and win for the cost of a new 6 bedroom septic install.

Pull the septic design, if available. If not, call a septic guy for his opinion before placing an offer.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:24 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
I always advise buyers that it's more about frequency of maintenance and how many people live in the home than what the county shows was originally permitted. You can google an online chart that will tell you how often to have the system pumped based on how many people are living in your home and how big the tank is. You could also talk with a septic engineer to find out more about how your family's needs will work with the existing system.

Seriously? No offense, but I'm glad you are not my realtor. Thats really bad advise imo. The rating is critical from a functional and legal perspective.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 AM

Bad advice from a realtor? Say it ain't so. Realtors are experts on everything.

Proof that realtors will say anything to make a sale. Doesn't matter if it's true or not.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verlando View Post
A friend of mine thought I might have liability IF the drain field isn't sized properly for a 6 bedroom house on that day that I might go to sell years from now. The house was built in 1995.
If you buy it now as a house with a 4 bedroom septic, you're buying a 4 bedroom home. When you sell it, you're selling a 4 bedroom home. Period. The other rooms are legally an office and sewing room, or whatever, not bedrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate