Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

I think the semi-rural/rural market has the problem of being very diverse and everyone's "dream" can get very specific considering the low inventory.

Ak Cathy and Mike J seem to be on track to me.

How the house is situatated on the land so you can make it your dream, not too many or any outbuildings because what if they are in the wrong place or not to your purpose? Or ponds, which I think most people like - except there are so many bad ones out there they become a negative.

Me personally, the datedness of a house isn't important. General location and where its situated on the acreage is. For example there is a house for sale on 2+ acres on one of my favorite location rds. But for privacy they put the house all the way to the back of the lot. I mean all the way to the back, there is almost no back yard. I don't want to hang out in the front and garden in my ragged garden clothes as people go buy on the road! What if someone eventually builds behind?
The location in general of course is very important for reasons of:
Commute
No overly restrictive city ordinances (there is a 3 acre house I like but its like the last house in an area just barely part of a 'city'. Taxes are insane too.
"Neighborhood" Around here in the semi-rural commute distance there are any number of areas that seemed clumped i where houses are just poorly maintained, trashy people, a mile or so down it will get better and so on.
Beauty or countryness, for me that mix of trees and open and hopefully water.

So many properties around here are in what I call the "crop desert". A farm home, close to the road which didn't use to have traffic but now does - and its surrounded by crop with a normal size yard - few if any trees or privacy or nature.
Or a newer mcmansion on a lot with zero trees.
Or even the many many 60s tri-level where no one has bothered to plant tree 1 (something I reealllly don't understand). Of course I don't understand tri-levels at all much less in the country.
The other alternative seems to be in the middle of the woods - like no sun, no yard, no garden dense woods. Not for me.
Most people like that mix of a couple of well placed shade trees in the otherwise open yard, with a good thick screening of trees and bushes around the edges of the acreage.

And for me I prefer an acreage that backs up to nothing behind me. Neighbors on either side is one thing. But I need that feeling of a pathway to nature.
I am also looking for main floor living not on a slab which in my area is like, 10% of the ranches. Finding a ranch not on a slab, in the area I like, with all my other requirements (and price limitations has made this a dream, probably never a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 AM

64 posts, read 338,323 times
We're shopping rural areas. House sitting off the road is important, privacy is a must, good fencing, barns/corrals nice but not a must, pond is nice but only if it's a good pond too many ponds have been ruined by livestock and then it's a drawback to have a pond that will possibly go dry, I'd rather have my own pond dug. I'm more flexible on the house, I can always add on. Outdated kitchens I don't care about.
What I've been finding though is sellers who think their land is worth more than it is and want you to totally ignore the house with broken windows, plumbing problems, electrical problems, etc. I'd just prefer you to list property as land and the house has no value then to walk into a house where you can smell and see the mold, all of the windows and doors can't even keep the critters out much less the wind and septic systems that don't work. I really don't want to live in a house that is in worse shape than the barn my animals live in.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
im shopping for a rural property right now...
what am i looking for:
enough land for my usage
good placemnt of house on the land
at least partially cleared land (i dont want the added cost or hassle of removing 2 acres of trees off a 2 acre lot...)
and of course, land use restrictions that could effect what I want to do with MY property...
im not perosnally too worried about outbuildings or fencing, though fencing is a bonus, i want to be able to put things where I want them...not where the previous owner thought it would be good...

in terms of the house...
structurally sound, good roof, upgraded windows/energy efficiency is a plus...
beyond that the house itself deosnt have to be fancy,

i dont care about updated colors on the walls as im going to paint it in MY colors eventually anyway...
i dont care about high end granite, fancy light fixtures ect...

just enough square footage to be comfortable, enough bedrooms and working bathrooms to be able to have a a visitor once in a while...

my experience is most people looking for rural want to make the house their own anyway so dont care about previous owners "upgrades" unless its something "worthwhile" (ie high efficiency windows, a new energy efficient furnace ect) instead there more worried about privicy, space and safety.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I hate using a broad brush, but in general, those of us that live in the country have far different values than city folk. We don't dress for success, we don't buy a new car until the old one wears out, we don't follow popular culture very much (although I do know a couple of people that watch American Idol). We also don't have fancy homes with all the upgrades. Almost all political views are tolerated and nobody cares much about race or gender issues.

In my part of the world the terrain is quite varied and my experience with buyers is that they are looking for a home that fits in the place it's located. Got a view? Great, does the house take advantage of it? Can I see the neighbors? Not so easy a sale. Can I hear the neighbors? Almost the same thing. The ability to connect with the natural world is high up on the list. When I'm at the store, I hear people talking about the moon phases and the stars, something I can honestly say I never heard growing up in the city. I guess you might call it a holistic vibe is probably the most important thing to a rural buyer.

I think rural people are looking to have their privacy, but I've also found that it's not a matter of being anti-social. As a matter of fact, the people in my community are generally quite willing to pitch in an any project that benefits the community as a whole.
Some of what you say may be true in some rural areas; not all. And what about city folks like me who have moved to the country? The only reason I don't have granite countertops in my new home is that the granite supplier didn't want to drive way out here and over these long, bumpy dirt roads.

Locals here and the few transplants like me are very conservative folks--liberal politcal views are NOT appreciated! But this is getting away from the OP's question, sorry.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:24 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times
I appreciate this post. It's timely as we have put our house here in the country up for sale and I'd like to hear what features are most important to buyers. We have 100+ acres, killer views for a hundred miles, and nearest neighbor is 5 miles away. The house is big and beautiful and there's a good outbuilding complete with bedroom and full bath. You have given me hope that a seller will come this way!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:06 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I hate using a broad brush, but in general, those of us that live in the country have far different values than city folk. We don't dress for success, we don't buy a new car until the old one wears out, we don't follow popular culture very much (although I do know a couple of people that watch American Idol). We also don't have fancy homes with all the upgrades. Almost all political views are tolerated and nobody cares much about race or gender issues.

In my part of the world the terrain is quite varied and my experience with buyers is that they are looking for a home that fits in the place it's located. Got a view? Great, does the house take advantage of it? Can I see the neighbors? Not so easy a sale. Can I hear the neighbors? Almost the same thing. The ability to connect with the natural world is high up on the list. When I'm at the store, I hear people talking about the moon phases and the stars, something I can honestly say I never heard growing up in the city. I guess you might call it a holistic vibe is probably the most important thing to a rural buyer.

I think rural people are looking to have their privacy, but I've also found that it's not a matter of being anti-social. As a matter of fact, the people in my community are generally quite willing to pitch in an any project that benefits the community as a whole.
You are so right about us who live in a rural area about somethings that we do compare to a large city person who moves out to a rural area ..

In the area of Utah that i grew up in it a very small place and most of the people there i know have family roots that goes back to the founding members of the Mormon chuch who member moved into the area when the family settled the area back in the 1850's era of the people moveing into the areas of Utah and settleing the area .

Alot of the people who now moved into the area have allways thought that some of the local people are a little standoffish or they anti-social toward outside it not really that it takes time to get to know you before we are going to allow you to come into the area and be treated as one of us ..

I'm 51 years old and to some of the older members of the town i grew up in i'm still do not have a name to them i'm know as Iona or henry son or Cora or Joe grandson to them i'm still a small kid to them and people who move into the area do not understand that fact that it takes the old members of the town a little while to warm up to in there way of thinking toward you ..

I still go into the local dinner and eat there and they know my name and they know my business and i get asked all the time where do i live now when i come home for a vist ..

Old 04-13-2011, 10:11 AM

218 posts, read 580,388 times
Above poster right, according to our realtor, others we met on our recent house hunt. We have many well-heeled colleagues who, like us, are downsizing. Granite countertops, Swedish hardwood floors, 3000 plus sq ft when it's just the two of you? Been there, done that. Privacy, quiet, neighbors who care about each other, a good well, hobby outbuildings, etc. We notice when you find a listing like that, especially if it's a well-built older home which has been meticulously cared for, it is sold very quickly! Just our recent experience, hope this adds to the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate