Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That one.

That the inspector shouldn't inform their client of every niggling little thing and even in the excruciating detail the client is willing to pay for that they may have come across; or compile that into a comprehensive to do list for the (new?) owner to attend to later.

Where did I say it wasn't the inspector's job to NOT note the details? Every niggling little thing is a defect. It is the real estate agents job to negotiate repairs. I think it is totally inappropriate for a home inspector to tell a buyer what they should or should not be expected to do on their own in repair negotiations. If you think home inspectors should be advising buyers what they should ask for in repair negotiations...we'll just have to disagree on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
You are all reperating in different ways what I'm saying.

Most people don't know enough about fixing up houses to know what constituted a little job that anyone can do, what constitues a harder job that you might be able to do yourself, and what constitutes a contracting job.

Its the Inspector's job to find out what the clinet is capable of doing. I'm really different than most sellers. I could BE contractor, and in fact have been. Most clients could not put in a 40 x 10 foot deack across the back of their house, and most of them could not take a completely empty space and move plumbing, put in electric, put in walls, install a shower, install a vanity, etc for a full bathroom with attached laundry room. The problem I have is that I don't think most inspectors have as much knowledge as I have about actually dioing house construction.

That being the case, the inspector must determine what his client is capable of. And he should give his client four levels of repair:

1. Major jobs that are clearly safety issues, which are pretty much limited to electrical(all the wiring is bad or you have 50 amp and only 14 gauge wire everywhere), and structural, and heating. These might keep you from buying or would require an estimate from a contractor to negotiate with.

2. Major jobs that have been obvious deferred maintenance that will cost big bucks to fix. These usually include plumbing system(pump etc) and the roof. These would be negotiable items, that might entail reductions in the range of 3-5,000 bucks.

3. Things that are not safety and won't cost a mint but might cost more than you want. These things are usually covered by something like an AHA home warranty, and if the seller is offering it, then they are less important. They include things like the hot water heater, and things that don't seem to work like diswashers, laundry stuff, flooring, plumbing fixtures that are at the end of their life, gutterts and down spouts, sliding glass doors, etc. You probably won't negotiate for these, as they are just the costs of home ownership.

4. Things that don't matter, like squeaking doors, a cover on an outlet that is cracked, chipped paint, etc.

If the inspector acted in this way, then clueless buyers would know what they were doing, and they would also not try to screw the seller.
I disagree. The buyer needs to decide what they are capable of doing. A first time home buyers that have twins on the way might ask for more repairs and "screw the seller" because they are about to have a major transition and don't want the hassle. Maybe they are capable but just don't want to. If the seller is willing to do the repairs the buyer wants, who cares? There is nothing wrong with that.

The inspector is their to investigate and educate them about the house not to tell a buyer which repairs they should ask for.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:11 PM

27 posts, read 44,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
This is inappropriate for an inspector to say, IMO. It is their job to inspect and document defects they see in a house. It is the real estate agents job to advise clients about what to do from there. The inspectors I recommend are clear that they have nothing to do with contract negotiations and as such won't make recommendations like that. That is for the buyer to decide what they are comfortable with and what they aren't.
I was glad to have the advice. My agent is an idiot, and I found the input very useful.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicExYouth View Post
I was glad to have the advice. My agent is an idiot, and I found the input very useful.

How did you choose your agent?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Quote:

The inspector is their to investigate and educate them about the house not to tell a buyer which repairs they should ask for.
That's not what my post says. You are reading things into it.

if the buyer wants to ask for repairs of stupid little things in category 4, that's their perogative.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
That's not what my post says. You are reading things into it.

if the buyer wants to ask for repairs of stupid little things in category 4, that's their perogative.

So then why would an inspector need to know what the buyer is capable of doing and list the repairs out in that manner? What is the point of that?

Old 09-29-2011, 05:38 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Where did I say it wasn't the inspector's job to NOT note the details? Every niggling little thing is a defect. It is the real estate agents job to negotiate repairs. I think it is totally inappropriate for a home inspector to tell a buyer what they should or should not be expected to do on their own in repair negotiations. If you think home inspectors should be advising buyers what they should ask for in repair negotiations...we'll just have to disagree on that.
I'll certainly agree with Silverfall! I have yet to be disappointed by her advice on this forum. Excellent posts and thank you from the Inspector side.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:40 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
...3. Things that are not safety and won't cost a mint but might cost more than you want. These things are usually covered by something like an AHA home warranty, and if the seller is offering it, then they are less important. They include things like the hot water heater, and things that don't seem to work like diswashers,....
I agree with Silverfall that these issues are for the buyer's agent and the buyer to review and decide what items are appropriate repair requests. Some may be required items per the contract that must be in working condition, such as plumbing and electrical systems.

Home warranties will not cover pre-existing conditions like a dishwasher that does not work, so have little value during the inspection review and negotiation process.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
I disagree. The buyer needs to decide what they are capable of doing. A first time home buyers that have twins on the way might ask for more repairs and "screw the seller" because they are about to have a major transition and don't want the hassle. Maybe they are capable but just don't want to. If the seller is willing to do the repairs the buyer wants, who cares? There is nothing wrong with that.

I agree with this.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:10 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Quote:
So then why would an inspector need to know what the buyer is capable of doing and list the repairs out in that manner? What is the point of that?
The point is being a QUALITY INSPECTOR DUDE, or just being an average one.

The inspector is there to help the client. If s/he presents everything as if its of the same priority to a new buyer, particularly an inexperienced one, they s/he is not doing good service to the buyer, and is also screwing the seller.

If that's the business model that you want for an inspector, then so be it. But if the inspector wants to be an honest guy who is out there to help buyers and sellers with their houses, then this is the model to follow.

There are way too many people out in the world who only care about getting their money and getting out. This is why we have such a screwed up world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate