Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:06 PM

15,611 posts, read 40,573,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Buyers do have a choice and a voice in many places, but remember that some communities are requiring that all new communities be HOA communities, because they like passing off their responsibilities to the HOA. As this has been going on for some time, it does make the idea of "choice" a little more questionable.

I have more and more buyers telling me "anywhere but in an HOA community" these days. Now they just have to convince their city councils, planning departments, etc., to give them what they want. You're right, the developers will listen to their bottom line if buyers stop buying in those communities.

Using a bomb, though, indicates something more than just a dislike of HOA's.

There are cities where it is mandated that each development have an HOA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,878,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Using a bomb, though, indicates something more than just a dislike of HOA's.
Yeah, anyone smart enough to build an explosive strong enough to blow up a brick mailbox shouldn't be dumb enough to live in an HOA. Must have been an outside job.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,696,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't know of one county in Florida that has any such statute on the books. There are also plenty of areas to buy where you are not in an HOA.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:05 AM

43,481 posts, read 77,457,008 times
Quote:
Yes, more or less.
In NC, planned community developers must create an entity or designate an individual to manage common areas in subdivisions of more than 20 homes. "Common area" may be as small as an entry sign on a separate plot owned by the association. Stormwater BMPs are typically common areas, too.

Since the vast majority of our residential construction since 1999 is in much larger subdivisions, de facto, HOAs are required since then for most developments.

Chapter 47F

HOA assessments serve various purposes:
1. They let the newcomers finance much of the impact fees that would otherwise be assessed for infrastructure.
2. They allow a neighborhood to keep their "neighborhood amenities," such as pools and playgrounds private, rather than open to the public like tax-supported facilities.
3. The neighborhood can install stylized items like street lights, street signs, trail signs, that a municipality may not want to install or maintain.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 10-03-2011 at 07:37 AM..

Old 10-03-2011, 08:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,700,697 times
Once there are shared amenities (pool, paths, signage, etc.) there will be an HOA to maintain/manage/pay etc. for such.

As to how much that HOA will/can play a role other then the common areas is the $64,000.00 question.

Personally I am a liker of HOA's to maintain the quality/consistency of a neighborhood.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 AM

34,181 posts, read 83,314,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Personally I am a liker of HOA's to maintain the quality/consistency of a neighborhood.
Personally, I am a liker of opt in "neighborhood associations" and opt in "pool club memberships"...
rather than any no option or anything wtfso added into deeds. YMMV

Old 10-03-2011, 02:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,700,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Personally, I am a liker of opt in "neighborhood associations" and opt in "pool club memberships"...
rather than any no option or anything wtfso added into deeds. YMMV
Cannot say I am familiar with, nor have I ever seen an opt in HOA.

I know some HOA's own no amenities but are located where members can opt in on various amenities such as those amenities located at the next door golf club/tennis club/health club, etc. This is quite common but they are not owned nor associated with the HOA.

My HOA has a path/gate through to a next door tennis club for the convienence of us that join the tennis club, but our HOA and the Tennis Club are separate entities.

I even know some HOA's where one is forced to join an ajoining club that the HOA does not own. Typically this came about as the club originally owned the land and sold it for home development with the stipulation that each homeowner must be a member of the club.

If there is an HOA then you can get a copy of the covenants. They are there for your perusal. Read and understand them before you buy. Real estate agents are taught not to answer a question until it is asked. The buyer shows up at the closing and signs the HOA Agreement/Covenants thinking the HOA they knew they were paying into was only to plow the snow, cut the grass, etc. Surprise...surprise...no swing sets...no fences...no clothes lines...no on street parking...etc. allowed.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 10-03-2011 at 02:24 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM

15,611 posts, read 40,573,079 times
Quote:
Real estate agents are taught not to answer a question until it is asked. The buyer shows up at the closing and signs the HOA Agreement/Covenants thinking the HOA they knew they were paying into was only to plow the snow, cut the grass, etc. Surprise...surprise...no swing sets...no fences...no clothes lines...no on street parking...etc. allowed.

This is a case for why we do business the way we do on the West Coast with title companies. They send out a preliminary title report, typically within 10 days of the contract that have the CC&R's with them. Buyers have plenty of time to read the documents pressure free.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 PM

34,181 posts, read 83,314,931 times
Quote:
Cannot say I am familiar with, nor have I ever seen an opt in HOA.
As far as I know there isn't such.
Which was the point and why I used quote marks to describe what I was referring to.
("neighborhood associations" and "pool club memberships" being an adequate limit)

hth

Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,896,383 times
Quote:
This is a case for why we do business the way we do on the West Coast with title companies. They send out a preliminary title report, typically within 10 days of the contract that have the CC&R's with them. Buyers have plenty of time to read the documents pressure free.

It is customary for both the buyer and seller to have their own legal representation in real estate transactions in my area.

Being the Treasurer in a self-managed HOA, I am the go-to person for all governing docs. My state gives prospective buyers rights to access just about anything. And yet, 99% of buyers and their attorneys do not ask for anything beyond an occasional Paid in Full letter relative to the seller's assessments.These people buy in and have no clue what they are paying for or the rules.

One listing agent touted our reserves within her listing, proclaiming "no budget problems in this HOA". She has no idea if our impressive reserves are relevant to the cost and timing of restoring and replacing assets.

It's no wonder that I am viewed as the agent with 3 heads when a client of mine expresses serious interest in making an offer on property within an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate