Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 03:50 PM

630 posts, read 1,717,992 times

Advertisements

We have been on home hunting missions several times through the years and I thought I had seen it all. However, I was wrong. We recently toured a home that was a prominent Doctor who lost it to foreclosure. It was shocking how not nice it was. They had homemade bidets made out of kitchen faucet sprayers in the all of the bathrooms. Really? You couldn't afford to install real ones? Would love to hear others that have seen funny/weird things while house hunting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 04:21 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,139,858 times
That is gross. We bought a home that had a giant dragon painted on the wall and the ceiling spray painted silver.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:27 PM

157 posts, read 327,890 times
looks like that bidet hose could double as a hair shampoo sprayer.
What turns me off the most when house hunting is clutter clutter clutter, toilet and bath tub rings/grime, pet hair everywhere in clumps, and Bad odors, ugh!
I once went into clean an income rental property nice townhouse in reasonable community where. My section8 tenant had just moved out, KFC chicken Bones in the bedroom, OMG! Guessing Fido left the there!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:41 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,179 times
i am searching for a rental in nepa and i wissh i could get some pictures of some of the 900/mo apts/homes here---holes in walls,broken or permanently locked windows,,,,mice havens--i could go on(ever led through a home by a realtor dodging running mice every few feet?)and having realtor annoyed cause you wasted his time cause you said no way to this rental????

Old 11-11-2011, 05:56 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,002,883 times
- a beautiful house with a large rat swimming in the pool (no problem b/c my client was a pest control business owner)
- dirty underwear on the floor (really)
- ceiling fans hung in the middle of the ceiling, but no hard wires, so electrical cords were fastened to the wall in a tube...and painted the same color as the wall & ceiling, and cut through the crown molding and chair rail to keep the tube flush with the wall (this is the house I bought)
- vacant houses that had been broken into and left open so there was racoon poop all over the floor
- one house in such bas condition that I really expected to see a dirt floor in one of the rooms (but I was sorely disappointed)
- a foreclosure that had the glass door to the shower removed. As if you could use a custom fit door somewhere else.

Forgot to mention that the racoon poop was my house too. I only know what it was b/c the neighbor shooed out the racoons and locked up the house.

Last edited by NinaN; 11-11-2011 at 06:19 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 07:16 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,584,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
-... ceiling fans hung in the middle of the ceiling, but no hard wires, so electrical cords were fastened to the wall in a tube...and painted the same color as the wall & ceiling, and cut through the crown molding and chair rail to keep the tube flush with the wall (this is the house I bought)...
Yours actually had the cord hidden in a tube ? I've seen many that just hang the cord along the ceiling with hooks and then dangle down to the wall outlet.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Yours actually had the cord hidden in a tube ? I've seen many that just hang the cord along the ceiling with hooks and then dangle down to the wall outlet.
Oh yes. The walls were painted dark red, the tube to match. Except where the white chair rail was, the tube painted white. And of course white on the ceiling.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:22 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,582,502 times
We just started looking recently to get an idea of the market and for learning purposes. We thought we would check out one that was listed as a "handyman's special". Oh boy was it ever. This little townhouse was a piece of work. It was built in 1890, and seriously had not been renovated since. Oldest tubs I've ever seen, no insulation, cracks in the walls, small overgrown backyard. And no heat. The house had never had heat before. The whole place would have to be rewired and ripped apart. The ceilings had obvious water damage. The floors were creaking and on the stairs you held on for life. And the best? It was listed for $699k. Yup, only in NY. The movie Money Pit came to mind while walking around. My husband just laughed as we explored the place, probably 1600 sq feet all together.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:55 AM

Good for you for not getting sucked in. The Money Pit is one of my favorites.

Reminds me that I showed a foreclosure that "needs TLC". It had a gaping hole(4 feet wide) in one of the ceilings from an unpermitted sunroom add on.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:02 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
We looked at a home once in PA that was a foreclosure. My dh was in the basement and I was in the hallway. Suddenly I screamed ; I was covered head to toe in Fleas ; Yes, Fleas.

We left and dove straight into the pool at our community fully clothed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate