Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
The safety reason is ridiculous to me, an average tract type house is pretty simple. It's not like by posting the floorplans your giving away the blueprints for Fort Knox lol. I think posting pictures of the current homeowners 60 inch LCD tv is more dangerous.
Very much one in the same. It is silly to seperate the two IMO. A home is an individual's/family's safe haven. Those who are robbed are distrurbed not so much by the loss of things that can be replaced but by the violation of their perceived safe place. Once that feeling of safety is violated it is difficult to get back. The robbery then also becomes a material fact about the property to be disclosed to potential buyers.

It is routine for those who may search for opportunity to steal to case homes during open houses held by Realtors. In reality website photos and the provision of floorplans for occupied homes on the market are like mini open houses.

I would have no problem, with the Sellers' permission of course, sending a floor plan to a qualified potential buyer working with a Realtor. At least this way one knows to whom the floorplan has been passed should a problem arise and the information needed to complete a police report.

I realize not as many Realtors are as safety conscious about protecting their clients as I was before I retired. I considered it part of my duty to my Sellers. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:28 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
As a buyer it would be nice I guess, but certainly wouldn't give that house any "extra" consideration. I rather look at real pictures.
But, would you rule out a home with an odd floor plan? That might save you time.
I like floor plans just because many buyers do too.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

I realize not as many Realtors are as safety conscious about protecting their clients as I was before I retired. I considered it part of my duty to my Sellers. YMMV.
Sellers are capable people who can determine what feels right to them. I don't do open houses though.

If someone is intent on getting into your house they will. It isn't hard to know which neighborhoods don't tend to have alarm systems and such. Burglars that take the time to look online at the bazillion homes online to find ones to stalk are experienced criminals. They are going to stalk your house anyway.

The tweakers that commit a lot of the theft don't have the time nor attention span to go through that much online material. You need to sit down and flip though some online photos sometime. I was looking for an agent to refer a client to and starting going through photos to find an agent that took good pictures. It was mind numbing at the crap that was on there and I was sober.

Yes we make it easier for sophisticated criminals, but they are an extremely small portion of criminals. Most crime is a crime of opportunity like an unlocked door. It has nothing to do with stalking homes online.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
But, would you rule out a home with an odd floor plan? That might save you time.
I like floor plans just because many buyers do too.
Probably not. If I liked the photos and it had the things I was looking for I would still want to check it out. Maybe it is just me, but I look at floor plans and they don't really do much for me. It is hard for me to visualize what it will really look like.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:49 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
I love floor plans as a buyer, since my wife is super-picky about room sizes, but I'd be a little bit concerned about putting one in the MLS, because zillow & the other websites suck up mls photos and they keep them forever.

It took several emails to get the photos of my house off (most of) the internet, and even though we changed the floor plan of the house it still creeped me out a bit to see the old photos on the web.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Most people do not invite guests into their master bedrooms or kid's rooms. Yet, somehow posting pictures of such on the internet became the standard for marketing a home. Most of these pictures feature , what else, the bed, furniture and linens that will not be conveyed with the sale of the house.

In a very short time, the market became accustomed to evaluating property based on other people's stuff, their use of space and decorating.

Buyers often dismiss homes with ugly decorating ( subjective) and/or lousy pictures. Agents no longer tour/preview properties as much as they used to do and let their buyers pick and choose based on internet marketing.

I see gold in those homes with tired decor and/or lousy pictures cause I know the masses dismiss these places.

Educated consumers love floor plans because it's all about room size and flow.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 PM

836 posts, read 1,778,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
The safety reason is ridiculous to me, an average tract type house is pretty simple. It's not like by posting the floorplans your giving away the blueprints for Fort Knox lol. I think posting pictures of the current homeowners 60 inch LCD tv is more dangerous.
I agree!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:21 PM

836 posts, read 1,778,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Probably not. If I liked the photos and it had the things I was looking for I would still want to check it out. Maybe it is just me, but I look at floor plans and they don't really do much for me. It is hard for me to visualize what it will really look like.
They do to me! I would have loved to see the floor plans!
And yes, it would have helped a lot in determining (prior to bothering seller/agent with coming out to see, wasting everybody's time) whether this house is potentially of interest to me or not

Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
I agree with those of you who like floor plans! They help me visualize where all my "stuff" will go (or if it will fit). I also like to see how big the kitchen (especially) is. If it's, say, 6x8, I will know right away that I couldn't do much with it (unless there's an adjacent room I can borrow space from). If it's 12x12 or bigger, I can think about all the remodeling I can do!

Then again, I love looking at home plans online as well, although I will likely never build my "dream house." It's still fun to dream ...

Old 01-02-2012, 02:48 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Real floor plans are copyrighted material. This usually comes up when a person shows up at a builders with the builder's own floor plan and asks for a quote. The publication by the real estate person or the MLS is a copyright violation. Most architects and other designers who draw plans for builders place the copyright notice on the plans. With or without it, it is a violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate