Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a copy of my blueprint right now (my house is under construction). There is no copyright anywhere on it. It does list the builder's name, address and phone number, but there is no copyright.

I'm sure plans are different, but that's my plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I'm looking at a copy of my blueprint right now (my house is under construction). There is no copyright anywhere on it. It does list the builder's name, address and phone number, but there is no copyright.

A blue print has quite a bit more information on it than a copyright....I dont really think either could be copyrighted, but a better argument could be made for a blueprint over a floor plan.

Also if your home is custom - you probably paid for the blueprints - which make the plans a work for hire which means when it is complete you own the copyright - not the original creator.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Huge difference in a drawn floor plan used for advertising and an architects copyrighted blueprints. Builders use the simple floor plan drawings all the time.

Notice those drawings seldom have room sizes published.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post

No need for a copyright statement or stamp, it is inherent. What you own is the right to use the produced document set to construct ONE version of that design, you cannot give out that set to anyone else for any use whatsoever without the express written permission of the creator of that design.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
A copyright notice is not required for copyright to exist - copyright exists from the moment of creation. A copyright doesn't even have to be registered, though it makes it much easier if you do have to go to court.

A map is copyrightable (I know someone who makes a tidy side income from people who lift her maps off her website and use them on their own, only to receive a bill from her for the unauthorized use included in the letter from an attorney she keeps on retainer - yes, it is worth it financially to her to do that). I fail to see how a builder's floor plan drawn up for them (as opposed to a floor plan drawn up by the owner or an appraiser) is automatically exempt from copyright. I'd LOVE to see the court case that marksmu is so sure he'd win, though - I'll bring popcorn!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
If the builder/creator of the blueprint gives you permission it isn't copyright infringement.
Realistically, the "builder" is usually an LLC that was created specifically for the purpose of skirting future liabilities, and that LLC is usually folded up & trashed a year or two after the last house is built.

Copyrights have an intent, and that intent is to prevent unfair competition, (in this case, from other designers, not people selling their own home). There is a "fair use" exemption to a copyright, - think of the Betamax case. It may not be explicitly stated in law, but that doesn't mean one wouldn't be carved out the first time this specific issue went to court. There's no incentive to go after homeowners for this - by the time a homeowner used a builder's floor plan, the builder has usually folded, and the design has already been either copied or surpassed by other trends. I really think this is a case of mls's just being overly cautious - nothing good comes to the MLS by allowing it, even though the risk of a copyright suit is minimal.

Last edited by Zippyman; 10-17-2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 AM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
If there are interior and exterior photos from enough angles, you can usually determine the (approximate) floor plan from those. Or at least I can.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Realistically, the "builder" is usually an LLC that was created specifically for the purpose of skirting future liabilities, and that LLC is usually folded up & trashed a year or two after the last house is built.
Still doesn't absolve you of copyright infringement. Best, if you wish to include a floor plan in a listing, to have one made or make it yourself from scratch using one of the online programs for doing so.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
As a buyer, I love having a floor plan. I find this is especially true for older homes where you cannot easily figure out the floor plan based on the pictures. The floor plan virtual tours are my favorite by far. I hate video virtual tours, personally. I find the music and commentary annoying and I don't care, I just want to see what the house really looks like.

As a Realtor, I make floor plans for all of my listings. I take the measurements and make the drawings myself, and then add pictures from many angles so buyers can get a feel for how the house looks in real life. Most of my listings have been older properties, also, so I think having a floor plan on the listing helps buyers because if they want a wide open layout, they will know in advance that these are not the homes for them.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
A blue print has quite a bit more information on it than a copyright....I dont really think either could be copyrighted, but a better argument could be made for a blueprint over a floor plan.

Also if your home is custom - you probably paid for the blueprints - which make the plans a work for hire which means when it is complete you own the copyright - not the original creator.
Mark, you are probably correct. I did have to pay for my plans (they were tecnically made by a draftsman, not a licensed architect) and so I likely own them. Whether I can resell these plans is another question, but I would think I would be allowed to post a version online for resale purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate