Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:55 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I have found that cookie cutter is what most people prefer and they like to be just like everyone else.
Please explain why each homeowner adds his or her own personal touches to the house: shutters, awnings, enclosed front porches, railings, trim color, siding color, door styles and colors ... I could go on.

If everyone wanted their houses to look alike, those houses would look exactly the same as they did the day they construction was completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I think this is often true... The insides of all the cookie cutter homes I've been in are even decorated similarly - same paint color palette, granite countertops, maple cabinetry, beige tile flooring, stainless appliances... Same chain store furnishings (e.g. IKEA, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, Target). Does everyone really want their house to look just like their neighbors?
I think for some it may be the most affordable way to have the newest thing with the same kind of features that are popular at the moment.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That seems insane to me. No offense.
I guess I think differently. I'm more into character, design, and location than square footage. This also tends to be better for appreciation IMO. If I were spending, let's say, $500K on a home these would be my choices in the Chicago area...

#1. Smaller well-designed home with character in vibrant suburb close to cultural amenities and transit. I especially love older homes.

#2. Condo in a downtown, high rise with character in the city.

#3. A historic farmhouse with character in the country with acreage so I can commune with nature.

#4. A walkout townhome with character walkable to the beach and shopping.
#99. A cookie cutter McMansion in a farflung cornfield that looks the same as everyone else's where I have to spend hours commuting to work (these are the typical cookie-cutter subdivisions in my area).

I also mean no offense. I just would be very unhappy living that way. I just like to surround myself with unique things, including my home. To each their own. I'm sure there are many reasons people like these homes, otherwise they wouldn't be so popular.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 01-12-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 07:22 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Please explain why each homeowner adds his or her own personal touches to the house: shutters, awnings, enclosed front porches, railings, trim color, siding color, door styles and colors ... I could go on.

If everyone wanted their houses to look alike, those houses would look exactly the same as they did the day they construction was completed.
Again, no offense (I know I am not being politically correct here), but if you have the exact same architectural design and layout as every other house in the neighborhood, the addition of a porch, sunroom, or different exterior colors can only do so much.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Quote:
That seems insane to me. No offense.
Why? Is size everything? Does size trump style?

It seems insane to me that such a rational statement seems insane to you!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Why? Is size everything? Does size trump style?

It seems insane to me that such a rational statement seems insane to you!
Does size trump style? Definitely if we are choosing between big and small. I spend a hell of a lot more time inside than out. Enough storage and room for a family will trump exterior appearance pretty much 100% of the time for me.

And when did this turn in to cookie cutter homes having no style or character? I thought this was about homes that all look alike. The impression I am getting from the people who don't want this is that if you took their house that has style and character and replicated it up and down the street they would all of a sudden not be so happy.

And it was certainly never about one of the choices being in some far flung area as one poster has now said. People are just making stuff up now.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

It doesn't change that they are all basically the same. No matter what you put in it or on it, tract homes have just a few basic models to choose from in any of those neighborhoods. To most people having a unique house isn't a priority. Doesn't make it a right or wrong way to be. Putting a roof over your head is necessity before it is anything else.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I guess I think differently. I'm more into character, design, and location than square footage. This also tends to be better for appreciation IMO. If I were spending, let's say, $500K on a home these would be my choices in the Chicago area...

#1. Smaller well-designed home with character in vibrant suburb close to cultural amenities and transit. I especially love older homes.

#3. A historic farmhouse with character in the country with acreage so I can commune with nature.

#99. A cookie cutter McMansion in a farflung cornfield that looks the same as everyone else's where I have to spend hours commuting to work (these are the typical cookie-cutter subdivisions in my area).

I also mean no offense. I just would be very unhappy living that way. I just like to surround myself with unique things, including my home. To each their own. I'm sure there are many reasons people like these homes, otherwise they wouldn't be so popular.
Newer tract homes are not the best deal for getting more square footage anyhow.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Does size trump style? Definitely if we are choosing between big and small. I spend a hell of a lot more time inside than out. Enough storage and room for a family will trump exterior appearance pretty much 100% of the time for me.

And when did this turn in to cookie cutter homes having no style or character? I thought this was about homes that all look alike. The impression I am getting from the people who don't want this is that if you took their house that has style and character and replicated it up and down the street they would all of a sudden not be so happy.

And it was certainly never about one of the choices being in some far flung area as one poster has now said. People are just making stuff up now.
It is a to each his own thing. To some of us style does trump and there are other things to consider. Having a lot of room for your family is important to you, but for me my family is small. I don't have to have the biggest house I can afford. Iv' done the tract home thing and decided I didn't want another one when it was time to move. That said, any builder that would replicate my 1932 house originally made from used building materials during the depression, with its small closets, nooks and cranny add-ons in every direction and strange floor plan is crazy. A neighborhood of these would be a tough sell. I absolutely love this house, but it isn't what most people want.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Quote:

I just like to surround myself with unique things, including my home.
Right. Unique things. Like condos and townhouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate