Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:13 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

"How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 08:16 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Good point.

Sometimes I wonder why I even waste my time being in the Real Estate forum having discussions with people who would advocate interfering with third party contracts, advocating working with Realtors and using their time up until they decide they don't like their personality, then drop them to go with another, and only be willing to sign a buyer broker agreement at the time of making an offer, and only for that one house, and only if the agent will rebate their commission; and to have that same person complain that the buyer broker contracts are "one sided", and then accuse the American Arbitration Association and home inspectors of being in bed with Realtors.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Good point.

Sometimes I wonder why I even waste my time being in the Real Estate forum having discussions with people who would advocate interfering with third party contracts, advocating working with Realtors and using their time up until they decide they don't like their personality, then drop them to go with another, and only be willing to sign a buyer broker agreement at the time of making an offer, and only for that one house, and only if the agent will rebate their commission; and to have that same person complain that the buyer broker contracts are "one sided", and then accuse the American Arbitration Association and home inspectors of being in bed with Realtors.
There are certain people here who are clearly only posting for one of these reasons:
  • They are an internet troll and just here to stir the pot or spark a "lively debate" as they would likely put it. Their arguments are typically not well thought out and show a clear lack of knowledge. Typically they do far more harm to the community at large than they do good by disseminating their "knowledge."
  • They want the help and knowledge that real estate agents provide, but they want to find a way to get the services of a real estate agent for free. These people have no idea that real estate is a very local industry and the advice you get from people on the internet from all across the country may or may not apply in their local.
I don't respond to posts by people that fall into one of these two categories. I've made it my policy to only respond to people who are here because they actually need help. I'm not going to get into circular debates.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
There are certain people here who are clearly only posting for one of these reasons:
  • They are an internet troll and just here to stir the pot or spark a "lively debate" as they would likely put it. Their arguments are typically not well thought out and show a clear lack of knowledge. Typically they do far more harm to the community at large than they do good by disseminating their "knowledge."
  • They want the help and knowledge that real estate agents provide, but they want to find a way to get the services of a real estate agent for free. These people have no idea that real estate is a very local industry and the advice you get from people on the internet from all across the country may or may not apply in their local.
I don't respond to posts by people that fall into one of these two categories. I've made it my policy to only respond to people who are here because they actually need help. I'm not going to get into circular debates.
I agree. There is a new member who just joined yesterday, and started a thread that he morphed into exactly the same type of discussion that appears to be a clone of a poster on this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...ontacting.html

I will probably adopt the same policy as you, because it is a terrible waste of time for everyone, including casual readers.

Those who want to change the real estate industry to have it adapt to their own warped idea of how the industry should be run can talk to themselves.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
There's also that C-D most informative poster contest. Could that have anything to do with it?

Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
There's also that C-D most informative poster contest. Could that have anything to do with it?
Oh, Lord have mercy!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Good point.

Probably because despite what many of the Agents/Brokers here say to the contrary there are multiple ways to do things in real estate. Consumers in general have quite a few complaints about realtors and rather than adapt and try to change/improve the industry many of the agents/brokers are just digging their heels in and continuing with the status quo.

When about half of consumers are unhappy with the service and the price of the service digging your heels in and refusing to consider other options is the equivalent of just sticking your head in the sand and pretending it did not happen...or worse yet - voting for Obama and expecting prosperity....its just flat dumb.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Probably because despite what many of the Agents/Brokers here say to the contrary there are multiple ways to do things in real estate. Consumers in general have quite a few complaints about realtors and rather than adapt and try to change/improve the industry many of the agents/brokers are just digging their heels in and continuing with the status quo.

When about half of consumers are unhappy with the service and the price of the service digging your heels in and refusing to consider other options is the equivalent of just sticking your head in the sand and pretending it did not happen...or worse yet - voting for Obama and expecting prosperity....its just flat dumb.
Half? Really? And you get your statistics from . . . ? The only recent statistic I read was that 85% of people said they would recommend the real estate agent they used to a friend, family member, etc. This is immediately after their deal closed. Meanwhile, a much lower percentage of people actually end up using the same agent. This is more about the poor job most agents do to keep in touch with their clients but it also shows a high customer satisfaction level.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:08 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
Quote:
Half? Really? And you get your statistics from . . . ? The only recent statistic I read was that 85% of people said they would recommend the real estate agent they used to a friend, family member, etc. This is immediately after their deal closed. Meanwhile, a much lower percentage of people actually end up using the same agent. This is more about the poor job most agents do to keep in touch with their clients but it also shows a high customer satisfaction level.
Most of the people that I know use a friend/relative or friend of a friend as an agent, and even if they are unhappy with the person, they are unwilling to tell the agent or the friend of the friend that they were unhappy b/c its just going to make others mad.

In the end they just dont use them again, and don't recommend them to others. The agent/broker likely never knew they were unhappy with the end result because it was just easier and less confrontational to just let it go. Better not to lose a friend when the transaction is done anyways.

Great agents are just the opposite - people readily recommend them. Its just akward when you have a friend or relative who is in the business and you don't use them....Its probably how many agents get much of their business.

And in direct answer to your question - I pulled the statistic right out of my buttox

Old 09-12-2012, 04:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,271,729 times
Please, leave politics out of the discussions here. Move over to P&oC or I'll be forced to close this thread.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate