Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 AM

185 posts, read 512,129 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My niece will be going to college next year and living with a relative during the week and with her parents on the weekend. Does anyone know which residence will be considered her legal residence? Will she have to change her voter registration and driver's license information to the relative's house instead of her parents', since she will be living with the relative for the majority of the time? This is in California by the way.

Thanks in advance for any help on this, I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 11:32 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I would speculate whatever is on her drivers license. If she's new to the state and looking for in state tuition the colleges in CA may have other requirements.

This is a question you might in the CA forum or Education if it's all about the school & in state tuition.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Thanks for your reply Rakin,
She's actually just moving from one county in California to the next county over, so tuition and such is not a consideration. I think she was wondering if she will need to change her address on her DL and voting registration from her parents house to the relative's house, even though she will be living with parents on the weekend.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:47 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Cowboys Fan View Post
Thanks for your reply Rakin,
She's actually just moving from one county in California to the next county over, so tuition and such is not a consideration. I think she was wondering if she will need to change her address on her DL and voting registration from her parents house to the relatives house, even though she will be living with parents on the weekend.
If she's just changing counties I would not think a change would be needed. She would need to vote in her original city and "technically" her permanent home would still be the original.

One thought... my son left Dallas County to go to college in the next county. He changed his address and got a significant discount on things like his car insurance and taxes. That county was rated less of a risk than being in a county with a larger population and higher risks.

That may be a factor, or not.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:41 PM

OK, thanks!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:50 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,996 times
Generally speaking your residence is whichever you choose. Legally it is where you are "domiciled" that majority of a calendar year but in many cases that cannot be established. I know over the road truckers that have "residence" in Nevada that consist of a mailing address because they don't want to pay California taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate