Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:24 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,534 times

Advertisements

We looked at a house that has been on the market-same price-for 9 months. There is another on the block that is asking 25% less (on for month so far) that is on more land, has landscaping, pool, deck,less wear and tear,etc. We like the more expensive style better but it does not compare in condition/newness/detail to other houses in the neighborhood that are in its price range. The house is almost empty, the people spend more time in their new house, so it's not as kept too. Any advice on how to offer much much lower than asking without being totally offensive?? There is no way they will see their asking price-or even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 08:26 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,538 times
i would ask the realtor (if you have one) what the deal is with the price...

Old 09-15-2007, 11:02 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
We looked at a house that has been on the market-same price-for 9 months. There is another on the block that is asking 25% less (on for month so far) that is on more land, has landscaping, pool, deck,less wear and tear,etc. We like the more expensive style better but it does not compare in condition/newness/detail to other houses in the neighborhood that are in its price range. The house is almost empty, the people spend more time in their new house, so it's not as kept too. Any advice on how to offer much much lower than asking without being totally offensive?? There is no way they will see their asking price-or even close.
Just be sure you are being honest. Look at the comps, look at what you really feel the house is worth. If you try to push the envelope "just because", or feel that you have a strong advantage you may end up annoying the sellers enough that they will not play ball. It may be that they won't accept, but then will reconsider later.
And be willing to walk away if you don't feel comfortable with the price.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:12 PM

72,418 posts, read 18,203,422 times
Do you have a realtor? The way to make a decent offer is to look at the comps like AnthonyB said,don't make a really low ball offer,the seller wil not come back with a counter,give some room for negotiation.Your realtor should be able to do that.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:35 AM

510 posts, read 3,201,609 times
The simple way to do it is mention you have interest in a house a few blocks away (note the address) which has more amenities than theirs does, and it's priced 25% less. Yes it may offend, but it accomplishes two things. First, it's a simple slap in the face saying wake up, you're drunk if you think you can get that much. Second, it lets you know if they are the type of sellers who live in their own little bubble and will never deal.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
It's interesting how much this 25-30% figure is bandied about in these threads. I keep seeing "lower your price 30% if you want to sell" or like this thread which is basically asking how do I offer 25% less than list without ticking off the seller.
I don't think most people are realizing that 25% equates to a whole lot of money, it's easy to say it that way but 25% means way different things depending on the price of the house doesn't it? I wish y'all would get away from the percentage game and talk hard numbers for the following reason. If you're talking a $400k house you're asking the seller to take $100k right off the top, or if it's a $150k house your asking for a $37.5k discount, way different things.
If someone came at me with a request for $100k off I would be ticked at first, I then would try to see it from their side (if there was justification given) and my third reaction would either be that we are so far apart there's no reason to counter or to counter with a few thousand. Either way I would be on guard.
That being said, I find it hard (but not impossible) to believe that in todays market that an agent would go for pricing a house $100k more than the comps would support unless forced to.
IMO you can't comp to what is for sale down the street until it's sold and even then you would need to know more about both houses. There may be a good reason that it's less or there may be a good reason that the newer one is more. Bottom line is you need more info. On the more expensive house I would see how much they paid if you can, or what the current mortgage is, that will tell you alot.
If it comes down to the comps just don't support the price then ask, all they can say is no right?

Old 09-16-2007, 06:47 AM

903 posts, read 3,580,534 times
Its 2 million with the other on the block asking 1.5. We are not working with a realtor. It has been for sale for a year-it dropped its price 8 months ago (about) and has held at this price since. It is really not worthy of close to that much but the owner will call and ask what we thought and I don't know how to tell her what we are willing to pay without being offensive-IE: "you're house is beat up-kitchen and bathroom missing knobs, mica counters cracked too, etc.-so we will only offer you 1.3." What I just mentioned is true but how to you not offend someones pride in their home. They are not being realistic as sellers. I'm looking for a way to say it without being offensive-although my offer might be anyway.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:05 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
amyla- Why should you care if you "tick" off a seller w/your offer? Did sellers care about "ticking" off buyers up till last year when things were great for them??

Have you checked the history of the home w/the town? Have they made a tidy profit? Did they buy at the peak? Give us the history of the home and then we can provide a better answer.

I say this all the time. Business is business. You are not going to be "freinds" w/the seller after you buy it, so try to get it for as low as you can. If the sellers are desperate enough, their probably starving for an offer and are willing to talk to anyone who has an interest.

You can always go higher but you can never go lower. Opposite is true for sellers obv.

If you are too emotionally worried about buying for "too low" , then your spouse or someone else should be taking the lead.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:12 AM

412 posts, read 1,028,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Its 2 million with the other on the block asking 1.5. We are not working with a realtor. It has been for sale for a year-it dropped its price 8 months ago (about) and has held at this price since. It is really not worthy of close to that much but the owner will call and ask what we thought and I don't know how to tell her what we are willing to pay without being offensive-IE: "you're house is beat up-kitchen and bathroom missing knobs, mica counters cracked too, etc.-so we will only offer you 1.3." What I just mentioned is true but how to you not offend someones pride in their home. They are not being realistic as sellers. I'm looking for a way to say it without being offensive-although my offer might be anyway.
Amyla, you don't have to feel bad about making a low offer, everyones doing it these days. I would let them know your exact concerns, the sellers most likely know it already as they have moved on to a new home. Putting it nicely will help your cause of narrowing the sales price down to the price you would like to be at. If not, it wasn't meant to be.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:12 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,998,091 times
You have to know what the comps are. Homes that have not sold are not comps. Only homes that have sold in the last 6 months should be used for comparison purposes. And sometimes, there are very few.
A low offer is never going to be greeted with joy, no matter how you couch it. Just make the offer and hold your breath. Be ready to negotiate or walk away. Is this a fsbo or do they have a Realtor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate