Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2024, 11:57 AM

397 posts, read 1,398,803 times

Advertisements

Need some advice. Our local municipality recently constructed a 1.3 mile bike path along a main road. Our 150 year old house sits right on the road where we had parking, in addition to two rough driveways, one of which we have been recommended no longer to use. The town has offered to work with us to rebuild the other new driveway/parking area since the one we are left with is pretty insufficient. We are the only property owner getting this along the new path.

So, my brother lives in the house, with my 90 year old mother who is no longer capable of taking the lead on this. My brother is vehemently against a new driveway. My husband and I see it as an opportunity for improvement. In the not too distant future, the house will be sold. How long might the municipalities offer stand?

Here's another fly in the ointment: House in a trust that the trustee/lawyer will sell for me and brother, to avoid conflict. My brother thinks the lawyer (and potential buyers) wouldn't give a crap about a getting a new driveway.

Last edited by terrasurf; 04-22-2024 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 12:01 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
If I were buying a house, I'd want a nice new driveway over an old, poorly maintained driveway. And if I were selling, and someone wanted to pay for that driveway, I'd certainly jump at the opportunity.

As far as how long the offer stands, no idea, but I would take advantage of the offer while it's there and not mess around.

Old 04-22-2024, 01:08 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Why does your brother object to a new driveway?

Old 04-22-2024, 05:46 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
1. If parent is the owner, neither brother nor OP can make decisions about the property (absent a power of attorney). Maybe the trustee can, but probably will be unwilling to do so.

2. As the driveway would be part of a project, it will certainly be too later after the project is completed, and it will probably be too late once the planning stage is completed.

3. Sometimes non-optimal things happen. Deal with it.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:48 PM

Thanks.

WK -He generally objects to nearly everything, because he can't deal with much.

1. Mom is owner, barely, my POA will be coming up. Trustee/lawyer only kicks in after mom's passing, and has a fiduciary responsibility to sell house. I still don't know who decides on what to spruce up when selling the property. Him I guess.

2. The bike path is in, and they could do the construction anytime, according to town.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
How long might the municipalities offer stand?
It is most likely a one-time offer. Most municipalities receive state and/or federal grants for bike paths so once the available funding for the project is spent the municipality would probably not offer to pay for this driveway improvement at a later date. If they would offer, they'd need to pay for it solely out of the municipality's funds. I can't see them doing that unless there were a real public safety issue.

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
... the municipality would probably not offer to pay for this driveway improvement at a later date.
I would liken it to slim to none.

Old Today, 05:59 AM

Interesting...There is a certain public safety issue there, so I'll have to look into that.

Old Today, 06:20 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Definitely get it done immediately. Parking on the street will possibly still be allowed But it would require bikes to enter the driving lane which could be dangerous and they would probably attempt to punish the parked car by damaging it.

Meanwhile a good driveway, possibly with a three point turn expansion to allow front of car to access the street, would definitely be welcomed by every buyer. And by every bike rider riding by a car attempting to enter the street.

Immediately because it emphasizes to the city how important it is so they won’t recant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate