Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:29 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times

Advertisements

In my experience, agents never had a problem giving me negative feedback -- e.g., "the buyer doesn't like the carpet and really preferred hardwood", "the buyer doesn't like the decor" (that was tough to hear!), etc. I don't think any buyer would give specific feedback that "the house is overpriced" -- they would probably just ignore your house and concentrate on the homes in that price range that meet their expectations. A month isn't a long time, but it sounds like the people who were interested have already made their offers and moved on. Let us know what your agent says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 12:30 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
They have had 3 offers

There are many reasons people look at a house that doesn't meet all their requirements. They may really love the neighborhood and hope there is something about the house to make up for the shortfall. If a house is lacking one thing on your list, like a big yard, maybe it has a large playroom and a neighborhood park. The buyer may wonder if there is a way to make that work. People look at homes close to what they want all the time. One of our homes we sold had stairs, but was very livable for someone who didn't want to deal with stairs. The main level was set up as a complete house with extra wide hallways, only the bonus spaces were upstairs. An elderly or handicap person could easily live there without ever dealing with the stairs. We built it that way on purpose (resale!) The upstairs would have only been used as an overnight guest area, keeping the main floor clear. A good realtor would show a house like this to someone who says 'no stairs' because it is an option they may not have thought of. Many homes can be easily modified to have a gas oven installed instead of an electric. Realtors often take people to homes that can become what the buyer wants with a minor amount of work. If they are limited to showing only what is 100% on the buyer's list their job and yours, as the buyer, becomes much more difficult. Even so, it sounds like you had a very frustrating time with your realtor. I hope the next time is a much better experience.

Uuuuuuuuuuuummmm...this house had stairs OUTSIDE, as well as inside I mean a lot, not just a few, about 6-8....guess I'm supposed to go round the back entrance all the time

I was a mother of two small children, how am I supposed to chase them up and down stairs all day? Not all disabled people are old

And just how could we install a gas stove, etc in a house with no gas line? I mean, the entire neighborhood did not have gas lines

Hey, this dingbat realtor just seemed to disregard everything we told her, just kept driving us around to the next place on MLS, and we had our small children with us, so she surely knew a 2-story house was NOT suitable for a disabled mother

Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Any buyer's agent who doesn't mention "overpriced" in their feedback is missing a great opportunity to communicate a subtle message directly to a seller. Sellers should realize that feedback can't really be taken at surface value. Feedback can be useless, overly flattering comments from agents not wanting to offend or can be an overt attempt to undermine the seller's confidence in their price from a calculating buyer's agent.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:58 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Sellers should realize that feedback can't really be taken at surface value.
Feedback can be useless overly flattering comments from agents not wanting to offend or can be an
overt attempt to undermine the seller's confidence in their price from a calculating buyer's agent.
Quote:
Any buyer's agent who doesn't mention "overpriced" in their feedback is missing a great opportunity to communicate a subtle message directly to a seller.
But if "overpriced" is the real issue (by itself) that message can be conveyed even better with
an under the asking price offer (which there have been three of so far).

I still say there are elements in the listing text and pictures which are being well lets say misread
or misinterpreted with the reality not being learned until after the (presumably qualified buyers) have
come out to look in person.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
When I sold I got a variety from very positive to a few quite negative. Everyone has their own opinion of what is nice to them and what isn't, and can vary widely.

With that many showings but not any offers, you're likely priced close, but just a little too high. Kick it down a notch and I'm sure the offers will come in.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But if "overpriced" is the real issue (by itself) that message can be conveyed even better with
an under the asking price offer (which there have been three of so far).

I still say there are elements in the listing text and pictures which are being well lets say misread
or misinterpreted with the reality not being learned until after the (presumably qualified buyers) have
come out to look in person.
A good buyer's agent will use every opportunity to gain an advantage for his client and feedback is a good way for a buyer's agent to communicate a message to a seller prior to an offer. If I showed that house to a client today and he was interested but not ready to make an offer it would be in our best interest to leave feedback intended to lessen the seller's expectations. When we come back with an offer later we could have a better chance at a lower ultimate price. Sellers take note.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:50 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate