Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 01:25 PM

132 posts, read 315,280 times

Advertisements

We are in the final stages of our home sale with closing scheduled for December 21st but as of today five weeks after getting a contract on the house we have not met the purchaser. All we know is he is local and has put down a high down payment, works in IT, makes real good money and has a very high FICO score.

We were out of town when he visited our home and was at work when he was here with his inspector. I am sure he has driven by a few times but was likely told to not make direct conact with us. Our current neighbors want to know about the soon to be new owner of our home but I have nothing to tell them about him.

Is this odd? When did you first meet the owner of the home you sold? Tell us your stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
who cares, just cash the check and call it a day. LOL

I understand that neighbors would like to know, especially if your friendly with them, absolutely...but, while people can come off as nice.........only time will tell until the true colors come out.

In our building we had a 56 year old woman, very gruff, loud, sickly, but never the less, she was likeable, in fact very likeable, so you kind of put the gruffness aside....long story short, she didn't have a lot of nieces and nephews checking on her during the week (she is on a disability, and has an aid), but it turns out, her nephew, would come up, go in her apartment and 5 minutes later go back out. This would happen during 6-9 o'clock week nights. girls and boys alike. Our apartment was on the top floor in the front so we can watch ll the people come in and out of the building. LOL

Turns out, she was selling pot and pills, and is no longer in our building, they weren't her nieces and nephews.
so point of the story is, while you can meet him and tell your neighbors oh wow, he is nice......you read my story, anything is possible...........................

Old 12-11-2012, 01:39 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
I never met the couple who purchased my home last yr., as I had already moved out of state.

My neighbors had the same questions, so for one, I googled the buyer names
() and then I told my agt that a bit of info would be appreciated-she gladly shared basic info.

I don't think it odd...frankly I did not WANT to meet them, (was sad to sell)
nor did I want to meet the person from whom I bought my last home...who completely lied over and over regarding property issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHomeSeller View Post
We are in the final stages of our home sale with closing scheduled for December 21st but as of today five weeks after getting a contract on the house we have not met the purchaser. All we know is he is local and has put down a high down payment, works in IT, makes real good money and has a very high FICO score.

We were out of town when he visited our home and was at work when he was here with his inspector. I am sure he has driven by a few times but was likely told to not make direct conact with us. Our current neighbors want to know about the soon to be new owner of our home but I have nothing to tell them about him.

Is this odd? When did you first meet the owner of the home you sold? Tell us your stories?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
It is not unusual for the buyer/seller to never meet, especially if the house is already vacant.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
At the closing.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
It is not unusual for the buyer/seller to never meet, especially if the house is already vacant.
This.

The only reason I've met any of the people who have bought real estate from me is because I was either acting as my own agent or selling by owner. I'd prefer not to meet the buyers.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I understand that in some states, the buyers, sellers, buyer's agent, seller's agent, all attorneys and escrow officers sit down together for the closing, so they would meet then. But in my state, that doesn't happen, and many buyers and sellers never meet.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
I bought a house this summer and never met the seller. They had their attorney handle everything at closing and picked up the key from the realtor. Talk about being hands off

Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
In my experience it would be very unusual for the buyer and seller to ever meet, though we have had it both ways. The first home we bought we did meet the people as they were home when we went to see it with the realtor. Bad divorce, so they yelled at each other a lot. Not good for making a sale but we went for it anyway.

When we sold that one we never met the buyers at all, it was all handled by the agents. Same when we bought the next house, and when we sold that one.

When we bought here I actually sat in the patio and had a beer with the sellers. This one was odd anyway as it was not for sale, but the realtor stopped and knocked on the door when I pointed out that I'd love to live in a place like it. Turned out their oldest daughter had just gotten married and the other was off to college so they were ready to downsize.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:41 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
In the three houses I've sold, I met the buyers for the first time at the closing.

My mother sold her long-time residence several years ago and she knew the buyer, but only because it was the daughter of someone from the neighborhood. She didn't know the young lady, but the Realtor who brought her to tour the home thought my mother might know her folks and she told Mom about it. But that was an unusual situation. Turned out to be nice for my mother, though. The buyer sends her a Christmas card every year and keeps her updated about changes she's made to the house. I thought that might be hard for Mom (my parents built the house more than 50 years ago) but in fact she enjoys hearing about the old homestead and appreciates that someone is enjoying it and keeping it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate