Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times

Advertisements

Mistakes are normal--that's why I always get closing documents ahead of time so that I can check them (when I don't prepare them myself, of course).

With a recent closing at a Title Company, though, I had a particularly complicated transaction with three corporate entities participating in a purchase. Each provided a different amount and had different proration rates for taxes and various closing expenses. Almost surprisingly, the girl at the Title Company provided closing statements for all which were correct to the penny. She admitted that she had to correct them multiple times, but she took pride in her work. And I'd be surprised if she made more than $12 or $13/hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 01:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
<insert kind of insurance> (Auto, home, life, title, medical) is a rip off.

Pay money....Make claim.....Have policy cancelled.

Pay money....Make claim.....Get paid .....Have policy cancelled

Did you forget this part?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutyotsuk View Post

Hey, we all make mistakes......but if I was getting 100+ per hour to do this krap, I wouldn't be making mistakes like that. All corrections were handled professionaly, but WTH?
The actual people who do the work are paid about $15-20/hr. in my high cost of living neck of the woods.

It's customary for both parties to be represented by attornies at closing, in my area. The attorneys almost always find "opportunities to improve".

Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Mistakes happen. Here is the difference between a good escrow officer and a bad escrow officer:

When you see a mistake made by a good escrow officer, they fix it as soon as you point it out.

When you see a mistake made by a bad escrow officer, they try to fix it, mess up something else, and go through 12 iterations of HUD documents before ending up with a correct one. (No joke, we had one this month that took 12 tries to get right)

Old 12-21-2012, 02:24 PM

223 posts, read 514,796 times
I just got back from settlement. I thought It would be all electronic, but I had to give a wet signature, as a seller. I went with the buyers, and they dropped me off after. Recording is Monday.....It's all good. Now that the hard part is done, I just have to move.......LOL. Cheers everybody!

Old 12-24-2012, 07:48 PM

138 posts, read 320,272 times
My last name is only 4 characters long, but they added an extra character in 1/3 of the documents.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Pay money....Make claim.....Get paid .....Have policy cancelled

Did you forget this part?
LOL Yeah maybe I did. I've had insurance claims paid, but it wasn't without a whole bunch of BS first and a less than satisfactory amount.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:35 PM

179 posts, read 268,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's all a rip off ... until you need it.
Then you find out it really isn't there at all.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:08 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutyotsuk View Post
Title insurance is a rip-off. Sure you need it, but problems seem extra rare.
These statements bother me, because I fear someone won't see you say you need it, only that it's a ripoff, which is not the case today. You buy it once and most policies cover you for your down payment and subsequent equity.

Actually, pre crisis (before 2005), title problems were rare, but still heard of. Since the foreclosure and short sale frenzy, title and mortgage insurance companies are on complete meltdown, with problems all too common. I personally know of a bucketful of foreclosures set aside (canceled) and title was court ordered to go back into the original owner's names. See, the Commonwealth of VA requires all trustees on foreclosures to be State approved. Last I heard this one, single Trustee had acted as Trustee on over 100 files, without the required approval. The court decision was as much as 5 years after the foreclosure, all of the properties resold. Those that had foreclosures now had cash settlements in the thousands. (The one i am personnally aware of was paid 35K to sign the court ordered deed to the next owner). The losers the ones that took shortcuts when buying their home without title insurance.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:09 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Mistakes are normal--that's why I always get closing documents ahead of time so that I can check them (when I don't prepare them myself, of course).

With a recent closing at a Title Company, though, I had a particularly complicated transaction with three corporate entities participating in a purchase. Each provided a different amount and had different proration rates for taxes and various closing expenses. Almost surprisingly, the girl at the Title Company provided closing statements for all which were correct to the penny. She admitted that she had to correct them multiple times, but she took pride in her work. And I'd be surprised if she made more than $12 or $13/hour.

Girl??? GIRL???

Jeez, Jack, how about a little respect? Sounds like a 60s quote from Mad Men.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate