Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 10:31 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I lived in a non-HOA community for 34 years and it was fine also. There are non-HOA areas that are good, and there are bad ones, just like there are some HOA's that are well run, and some are badly run.

Since HOA's are in existence, and if we choose to live in one, and if there are little Hitlers on the board, then they are only there because of the people who voted them in, and didn't get involved to volunteer their own time to get on the board and make a difference.

Complaining on a public forum does not fix problems within an HOA. It takes getting involved in your community and be willing to do the work involved.
How is getting involved with an HOA going to result in fewer HOA's? I'm having trouble juxtaposing the concept. Also, the types of controlling personalities that generally comprise an HOA are a big turn off to "participating".

Thankfully I reside in a community where HOA's are non-existent (even for new construction). Do you really own in an HOA if you cannot tailor the exterior/property to your tastes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
HOA's sound wonderful! Nothing better than being at work all day, just to come home and have to spend my free time lobbying some wannabe gov entity over the red carnations I planted or some other selective BS that the ruling elite came up with just because I was against having matching garbage cans.

I also love the special assessments, it is great to know that I can get hit up for four payments of $400 to cover legal fees, and for maintenance of items that should have been maintained with the current HOA fees.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
How is getting involved with an HOA going to result in fewer HOA's? I'm having trouble juxtaposing the concept.
No one said that getting involved in your HOA results in fewer HOA's.
Quote:
Wilton2ParkAve...
Also, the types of controlling personalities that generally comprise an HOA are a big turn off to "participating".
There is always some excuse for people not wanting to volunteer their time to make the community better. This is a new one on me.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
HOA's sound wonderful! Nothing better than being at work all day, just to come home and have to spend my free time lobbying some wannabe gov entity over the red carnations I planted or some other selective BS that the ruling elite came up with just because I was against having matching garbage cans.

I also love the special assessments, it is great to know that I can get hit up for four payments of $400 to cover legal fees, and for maintenance of items that should have been maintained with the current HOA fees.
Sounds like the typical exaggerations.

Perhaps you didn't know that a special assessment requires membership approval which is difficult to obtain. And if people would get involved and participate in meetings they would have some say and control over how the money is being spent. Staying home, not getting involved, and later complaining about how someone else is running the operation is the easy way out.

I still maintain that if one lives in an HOA then they owe it to themselves and the community to get involved to make sure the community is being run properly. Anyone who stays at home and just complains, and does not help solve the issues, is part of the problem.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,353,739 times
I can think of an advantage of an HOA that nobody pointed out yet. Typically having an HOA does generally result in conformity of the neighborhood and prevention of a homeowner allowing their home go into disrepair (I am not talking about banks who allow short sales and foreclosures go to hell in a hand basket). When homeowners allow their homes to go into such a condition it will negatively impact the values of other homes in the neighborhood.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I can think of an advantage of an HOA that nobody pointed out yet. Typically having an HOA does generally result in conformity of the neighborhood and prevention of a homeowner allowing their home go into disrepair (I am not talking about banks who allow short sales and foreclosures go to hell in a hand basket). When homeowners allow their homes to go into such a condition it will negatively impact the values of other homes in the neighborhood.
My god, thank you for posting that. I've never heard that one before. I'm now completely sold on HOAs.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,837 times
Quote:
Well isnt that just great, all those homes during the economic meltdown that had HOAs held their value?

Wow, fascinating!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 PM

Hey, I could care less if you agree with me. I offered my $.02 worth and you can take it or leave it, I really don't care. While some of you hate HOA's, I think they do serve a useful role and complaining about it on an internet forum solves nothing. You can be part of the problem or part of the solution, it's your choice.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Grammer Nazi Alert

Quote:
While some of you hate HOA's
HOAs
No apostrophe.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
HOAs
No apostrophe.
Thanks, are you the grammar police ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate