Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 04:48 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Depends on the house, and on the homeowner. There is no black and white in this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 AM

667 posts, read 1,849,551 times
I posted my thoughts on house forum some time ago: I wanted something near town center (I live in the notheast) Wanted to be able to walk main street, etc, leave my car in the driveway over the weekend. I found myself look at old, old house almost exclusively. Mostly twins.

Because the new homes in my size range (smallish) were all townhome complexes along a highway. You would have to drive to get to anything. Also, they tended to have maintenance fees.

I would up buying a 100+ year old small 4-bedroom that is one-and-a-half blocks from a historic town center. So far, it has been a money pit. But, I love it. I am taking on extra jobs to pay for updating stuff (only stuff that matters to me though--more on that later.)

Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 PM

32,654 posts, read 48,053,996 times
It depends upon the town. First settlers in my area got the choicest lots. The lots are big, the trees are gorgeous and those houses are very close to being the most expensive in town and are highly sought after. Some of the new gigantic mansions are more expensive, and they would like to tear down the older homes and place mansions, but the old homes are protected by an historic district. All of the old houses are in pristine condition, and I would buy one of I could only afford the high price.

In some town where the original neighborhoods have turned into slums, the old houses aren't desirable.

I don't see this as an old vs new house issue.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My utility bills per square foot are comparable to a new build; my house is 55 years old.

Adding new circuits, plumbing, and ethernet drops is a cinch in my house. Some get dropped through the attic, some come up through the crawlspace.

My attic is a lot easier to navigate than a lot of new builds because of the way the attic trusses are constructed in new builds vs old builds in north Texas. New builds have a quick and dirty truss system that doesn't take navigability into consideration. My house doesn't have a bunch of wood sticking out everywhere to trip on; it's very easy to get around in there as long as you keep yourself on the joists. It's not fully decked. Basement...N/A, we don't have those in this part of the country.

Oh, and the studs are 12 inches apart in every room in my house. Every one.
Beautiful and irrelevant anecdote! Old homes generally have issues and irregularities and problems, and charm and homeyness. That is the reality "IN GENERAL".

Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
Hmm good question. I think you are buying and it puts you in the range of a new house, people will look at new construction and then compare it to resales just to get an idea if its "worth it" to go new, or take a house a couple of years old, or houses that are 20+ years old (if you have a certain taste in mind..victorian, tudor, brownstone etc etc)..with other ammenities that you wont get on a new build (lot size, maybe schools, a built in pool, finished basement, chefs kitchen, finished attack, inground sprinklers, patio and landscaping).

On the other hand, the newer builds may offer more energy efficiency, smart homes, luxury master baths, and well...its just NEW.

There are too many factors to consider based on the buyer and what stage in life they are at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate