Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,866 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I've never heard of an Attorney reviewing a listing agreement. After 3 months of working w/ this agent, I'm sure you did the right thing. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlin'grl View Post
wondering if we had been hasty in not taking the time to have an attorney read over the contract.
Wow! Back in the days when faxes were new, my real estate company had a WORD PROCESSOR! We took the standard Washington State contract (one legal sized, barely legible, 5 carbon copy layers), and had it transposed into a double spaced typed contract. One of our clients took the form to his attorney, who then had it transferred (manually) onto a legal pleading form (with the line numbers down the side) and approved it for his client at the tune of $200.

Not a word or punctuation mark was changed.

I'm OK with any legal representative looking over a contract. There are so few places in our standard listing contract to enter a variable, I would think that almost anyone could understand the variables without paying at least $100 (at the rate my attorney charges) to a third party.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,837 times
Your husband knew what he was doing, he took charge. You just dont agree with your husband after signing.

re
Last night we met with the realtor. She had said she had papers to "drop off". In her time at our house we did a walk through and she mentioned the remaining things she felt necessary to tweak. She then said she had clients she wanted to bring by this Saturday, tomorrow. We were asked to sign her paperwork which my husband opted to do, reading as he went along.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,549 times
lies and persuasion, manipulation. Of course.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
So...how did the showing go? Are you feeling any better about the listing agreement?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 PM

49 posts, read 85,111 times
I'm not surprised at the response. It's appropriate.
The most recent real estate transaction I had, prior to this, was the sale of my mom's condo after her death.
It was painful (nothing to do with my mother). The executor insisted everything be read by his attorney. My guess (after paying the exorbitant bill) is that it was a massive scam. But it set me up. Somehow, despite "knowing" otherwise, I felt like I wasn't doing due diligence without this.
Sigh.
Thanks for the reality check.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:41 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
You ran into a Realtor who obviously didn't pick up on your reluctance. You know, you have this stuff shoved at you all the time, about how experience and blah blah blah makes for a good realtor. Supposedly they can interpret the buyers or sellers and then bring their skills into play to make deals happen.

Well, that Realtor missed the most important thing about this situation, reading the client. It isn't rocket science but you got pushed and rushed.

Call them back, tell them you didn't appreciate the rush, want more time to consider your options and no, the Saturday the house is being painted is not going to work for showing.

As someone else said, this isn't their deal, it is yours. It isn't their house, it is yours.

Expect that they have someone who will probably offer at or slightly less than asking and the asking is probably one they steered your way.

Showing your house before painting is done? Yeah, that should work well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate