Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:38 AM

128 posts, read 122,893 times

Advertisements

Background: Purchased an inventory home from the builder. We were satisfied and we understood that the builder was busy as it was the end of the year. We secured financing and went to closing exactly as expected. The builder was slow, and our contracted inspectors and walk-throughs were last-minute.

We went to closing with issues still unresolved as advised by our buyer's realtor. Luckily my wife and I demanded our final walk-through paperwork and took several pictures of issues that needed to be addressed. The builder's paperwork states that they intend to address and complete issues within 15 days of our final walk-through. We were satisfied with these issues in writing that we could go to closing and they would be addressed as promised.

They promised us they wouldn't "hand us the keys and leave us on our own." Unfortunately, that's where we are. After several attempts to get these issues addressed, including appointments where their contractors didn't show, we don't quite know where to go from here. I've attempted to contact the builders headquarters to get these issues addressed in addition to some warranty work....and I can't even get a call back to confirm receipt of the paperwork I'm faxing. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions short of legal action that might aid us...we feel like we've dropped 250k on a house, and now we're left out on our own here.

We're both shocked because the builder has a great reputation in our city. We're both very patient and reserved people, but are getting very frustrated having to deal with their unprofessional behavior....making appointments to shut us up and not showing is just about as bad as it gets in my opinion.

I've considered:
1. Talking to our buyer's real estate agent's office since they have a working relationship with the builder
2. Better Business Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 05:22 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,738,350 times
I would try to enlist your agent's help. Understand that it is not really his/her normal role but I find that I am often able to cut thru the crud that others seem unable or unwilling to cut thru. I would also keep calling your builder--the person who actually supervised your construction. Call every hour for a few days if you have to. Eventually, this will work.

Either they intend to get your issues resolved but they have continuously pushed you to the back burner or they have no intention of coming back. The first is a squeaky (but nice) wheel situation--keep on them. The second is a whole other issue and you may need to have an attorney write a demand letter sent by certified mail, return receipt requested.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 AM

270 posts, read 967,746 times
I'm really sorry you are going through this. It must be very stressful for you.
I agree with bbronston's suggestion to call every hour. Unfortunately sometimes being annoying gets results.
I would also add that being consistently annoying also helps. If there are two of you then you call at the top of each hour and then have your significant other call at the 30 minute mark of each hour. Set an alert on your digital calendar to remind yourself to do it.

My additional suggestion would be to publicly shame them using social media. Find their Twitter handle and Facebook page and post your issues there. The public loves pictures or any visual aids you can provide. Put together a slideshow or video of your issues and post it on YouTube. Be relentless. Have your significant other or even your friends do the same. LinkedIn can be helpful to find names of managers, directors, and executives of the builder. Start sending them messages through LinkedIn or "Invitations to connect". I've heard of people who get executive names from LinkedIn and then look up their home addresses and home phone numbers on Whitepages and then call them at home (or send written letters to their home address). If you are able to reach an executive at home, you will be able to get results fast.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Get a lawyer.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,998,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Get a lawyer.
I agree. Instead of making yourself into a stalker, have a lawyer write a demand letter. It should get things moving quickly.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
How long since you closed?

It is common stuff for there to be an initial and ongoing " punch list" of issues related to new construction. Just wait for the nail pops in the drywall to start.

Have you met the neighbors, yet? What has their experience been like?

Don't waste your time with BBB. They have no influence. A simple letter from your attorney will likely get the builder focused.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,515,222 times
Curious if the contact person you're talking to, assuming you actually got a live person, is a receptionist/office professional who is doing a crap job for their employer. Aside from a legal letter, you could try a certified, with return receipt letter, with a copy of the statement that they signed about issues that were to be fixed. You can pay extra for restricted delivery, meaning only the person to which it is addressed to, can accept the letter, they have to show ID and sign for it. Assuming the post office does their job right, they won't just let a potential lousy receptionist to sign for it. Course you do have to worry about said lousy receptionist not even telling the boss that there is a notice for a letter they have to go pick up at the post office. You will at least have proof that an attempt was made to contact them before you go for the legal letter or actual proof of delivery to the correct person.

It may not be, but it could be, that their office is just badly mismanaged. I have seen awesomely managed offices. One I worked as a temp for, literally had one girl whose sole job it was to answer the phone where residents called in their needed fixes, and then arranged whoever was needed to go around and fix the things needing fixing. She kept everyone on track and residents happy with fast service, she acted as customer service and dispatcher. It was quite amazing the set up this builder had. It was also quite a large office. Badly managed I could easily see all kinds of things falling through the cracks.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,197 times
Default In any business transaction ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_loper View Post
Background: Purchased an inventory home from the builder. We were satisfied and we understood that the builder was busy as it was the end of the year. We secured financing and went to closing exactly as expected. The builder was slow, and our contracted inspectors and walk-throughs were last-minute.

We went to closing with issues still unresolved as advised by our buyer's realtor. Luckily my wife and I demanded our final walk-through paperwork and took several pictures of issues that needed to be addressed. The builder's paperwork states that they intend to address and complete issues within 15 days of our final walk-through. We were satisfied with these issues in writing that we could go to closing and they would be addressed as promised.

They promised us they wouldn't "hand us the keys and leave us on our own." Unfortunately, that's where we are. After several attempts to get these issues addressed, including appointments where their contractors didn't show, we don't quite know where to go from here. I've attempted to contact the builders headquarters to get these issues addressed in addition to some warranty work....and I can't even get a call back to confirm receipt of the paperwork I'm faxing. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions short of legal action that might aid us...we feel like we've dropped 250k on a house, and now we're left out on our own here.

We're both shocked because the builder has a great reputation in our city. We're both very patient and reserved people, but are getting very frustrated having to deal with their unprofessional behavior....making appointments to shut us up and not showing is just about as bad as it gets in my opinion.

I've considered:
1. Talking to our buyer's real estate agent's office since they have a working relationship with the builder
2. Better Business Bureau

Never ever be on the wrong side of the money. Escrows work. Otherwise you have legal remedies.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Never ever be on the wrong side of the money. Escrows work. Otherwise you have legal remedies.

Always AMAZES me that people will close on a new construction home when there are ANY items not satisfactory.

DEMAND that money be put in escrow for those items (typically the cost to repair x 3).

Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 PM

128 posts, read 122,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Always AMAZES me that people will close on a new construction home when there are ANY items not satisfactory.

DEMAND that money be put in escrow for those items (typically the cost to repair x 3).
I appreciate all of advice. I think my next course of action is to formally write a stinky letter to the corporate office. I have kept all of my emails, fax confirmations, and correspondences with the builder's representatives in preparation for any necessary legal action. I really don't want that. The builder could address these issues in maybe 1 day....so unnecessary.

It was the builder's last day of the year to close, and we discussed our options. We went forward because we wanted to qualify for the Homestead Exemption, which will save us enough money that it swayed our decision. This is both mine and my wife's first home, so we did defer to our real estate agent for issues we were unfamiliar with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate