Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:28 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,977 times

Advertisements

Just curious. A woman narrowed down her choices to our townhome and an older single family. She chose the single family. (This was about 3 weeks to a month ago) The house said pending for a while. I drive past the other day (I know the house b/c it is right down the road from mine and my realtor was told which home she chose) and it is now for sale again.
I know financing and home inspection are two big possibilities. Would it take 3-4 weeks to get financing? Or is that the time frame for an inspection? I am HOPING it was the home inspection and that maybe the woman will revisit the notion of putting in an offer on our home. (My realtor is trying to get in tough with hers)
Not putting any eggs in one basket on this since I know it means nothing unless she comes to us with an offer-just kind of curious. If it is that she couldn't get the money, I must admit that I am happy she didn't pick our home as it would have been off of the market for a month!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 06:36 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,651 times
Twin,

Most deals fall through over financing. If the borrower has borderline credit/was pre-qualified before lending guidelines changed, it doesn't take much for them to lose their qualification.

Some (but not all) other reasons a contract can fall apart: unable to get clear title, homeowner's association "stuff", appraisal. You are never out of the woods with a contract until you're LEAVING the settlement table.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Don't forget disclosure or lack thereof, inspections, not willing to fix inspection items, termites, mold, the list is long....

Old 10-21-2007, 06:59 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
Twin,

Most deals fall through over financing. If the borrower has borderline credit/was pre-qualified before lending guidelines changed, it doesn't take much for them to lose their qualification.

Some (but not all) other reasons a contract can fall apart: unable to get clear title, homeowner's association "stuff", appraisal. You are never out of the woods with a contract until you're LEAVING the settlement table.
Tish,

I always say not until disbursement.
In NC it isn't a done deal until the deed is recorded.

I've never received the "I couldn't record..." call, and hope I never do.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:02 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
Twin, it is still a possibility that the reasons had nothing to do with her. Having your agent contact her agent is a good step. If anything can be put together for place, great. if not, oh well... your in the same place you were before the call was placed.

Hope it is a possibility.

shelly

Old 10-21-2007, 07:10 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
It could be for any of a million reasons. Maybe the buyer gut told them it wasn't the right house for them. Who knows.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:11 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Don't forget disclosure or lack thereof, inspections, not willing to fix inspection items, termites, mold, the list is long....
3-4 weeks? I'd go with the above items during inspection. That gives the owner time to fix the probs....but sometimes buyers get greedy and want to dictate how and what products to use in the repairs. What drives me crazy is an inspector that points out things that are not NECESSARY...but "would be nice if...." The buyers get to thinking they're getting a raw deal because the perfectly good garage door opener isn't to current codes. It DOES NOT have to be updated until it breaks and is replaced....but the buyer wants the current owner to pay the cost NOW. These kinds of things just make people mad and they lock horns over splitting hairs. I've seen deals fall through over the pettiest things. There is just so far someone can push before one or the other breaks in negotiating inspection repairs.

All the other reasons are valid as well......financing is tougher right now too!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:56 AM

631 posts, read 2,445,584 times
Well, my past 2 days of experience has been:
1: Cold feet
2: buyer just emailed me to cancel his deal (closes tomorrow) because he bought it
because he has a crush on me and can see he and I are not a We.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,977 times
guess we will just have to wait and see if her realtor will call ours back. (i don't get the agents who don't communicate with other realtors. you think they would want to get a deal done as well)

Old 12-21-2007, 09:23 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
3-4 weeks? I'd go with the above items during inspection. That gives the owner time to fix the probs....but sometimes buyers get greedy and want to dictate how and what products to use in the repairs. What drives me crazy is an inspector that points out things that are not NECESSARY...but "would be nice if...." The buyers get to thinking they're getting a raw deal because the perfectly good garage door opener isn't to current codes. It DOES NOT have to be updated until it breaks and is replaced....but the buyer wants the current owner to pay the cost NOW. These kinds of things just make people mad and they lock horns over splitting hairs. I've seen deals fall through over the pettiest things. There is just so far someone can push before one or the other breaks in negotiating inspection repairs.

All the other reasons are valid as well......financing is tougher right now too!
When buyers come back with requests like that, it's a sign that their Realtor didn't prepare them for what an inspection report looks like. The inspector is required to list everything that's wrong with the house. Even if it's functional, yet just not up to code.

With my buyers, I prepare them for the fact that the inspection report is going to make the house look like a war zone, but that we're only looking for things like HVAC issues, roof, structural, etc. Things that would really affect the value of the house. If the buyer is present for the inspection, they can walk around with the inspector and they'll realize that a lot of the things on the report look worse than they really are.

Keep in mind that there are different standards in different states though. I just recently sold a $600,000 home in San Antonio to a buyer from Minnesota. They got the inspection report and demanded that EVERYTHING on it be fixed (um....no, we didn't agree to those terms).

Apparently up there you're supposed to have your home inspected and everything repaired before you put it on the market. (this is what the buyer said, so if I'm wrong, blame him ) He thought that we should do the same in Texas because that's what he was used to up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate