Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That's the problem. If it had been left original, it would have the atomic fifties appeal, the kitchen was custom space age looking and retro purists would be into that. It was in pristine original condition when gran went seventies wild. The living room looked "mod" before she did her thing and she glued some atrocious rug to the lovely hardwood floors. The mastic leeched into the floors and may be toxic so I'm not touching that.
Argh. I think I would have walked out sick after seeing that. We were able to find one in 90% original condition, but I saw quite a few that were mutilated to the point where just restoring them to original needed $50-$100K of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 10:56 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Everything you describe as a problem is the 70's veneer.
Remove that veneer and restore it to the 50's.
TOTALLY agree with this. 50s / Mid Century Mod is very in fashion right now and I think you'd have more success marketing it this way than if you tried to bring the aesthetic into the 21st century. There's nothing I hate more than an adorable 50s ranch house on the outside with shiny contemporary newness on the inside! (Although that's just my personal opinion!).

Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Argh. I think I would have walked out sick after seeing that. We were able to find one in 90% original condition, but I saw quite a few that were mutilated to the point where just restoring them to original needed $50-$100K of work.
Likewise. We only found 3 properties in mostly original 50s condition- however 1 was going to be a money pit, 1 has structural deficits, so we bought the 3rd. I personally couldn't fathom some of the 'updates' in the 1950s houses we saw- like you said, it would cost SO much to get a lot of them back to original condition! I guess people over the last half century + think they're keeping up with the Joneses. In my opinion though, 80s updates are the worst! I can almost tolerate the 70s!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:22 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Thank you, I'm hoping not to have to do too much. I cannot post pictures without permission from the estate beneficiaries. I am responsible to them for getting the best price for the home, so I'm trying to look at all angles before just throwing the house on the market as is. I am taking lots of "before" pics though because it's a time capsule. Many people who visit the house find it charming and fascinating in a nostalgiac way but they probably live in a normal modern house.
you're welcome. Do what you can just cleaning and sprucing up the place, leave
all hardware there, put it on the market and see what happens. Maybe hire a
good cleaning company, make it smell nice and shine, watch the offers roll in.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:21 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
What about roof, foundation, chimney, plumbing and HVAC? Also pests - termites, powder post beetle and the like.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:23 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Likewise. We only found 3 properties in mostly original 50s condition- however 1 was going to be a money pit, 1 has structural deficits, so we bought the 3rd. I personally couldn't fathom some of the 'updates' in the 1950s houses we saw- like you said, it would cost SO much to get a lot of them back to original condition! I guess people over the last half century + think they're keeping up with the Joneses. In my opinion though, 80s updates are the worst! I can almost tolerate the 70s!
Some of the seventies stuff in this house is actually part of additions. A couple rooms were added then, all panelled and cheaper trim/woodwork compared to the original woodwork in the rest of the home. Still better than typical eighties stuff though.

So, if leaving most of the house intact, still paint the panelling, or leave that alone too? I'm not sure if anyone likes woodgrain panelling but if the rest of the house is not being updated, I don't know if it really matters.?

Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
What about roof, foundation, chimney, plumbing and HVAC? Also pests - termites, powder post beetle and the like.
All good to go. Solid house, just wacky looking.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Some of the seventies stuff in this house is actually part of additions. A couple rooms were added then, all panelled and cheaper trim/woodwork compared to the original woodwork in the rest of the home. Still better than typical eighties stuff though.

So, if leaving most of the house intact, still paint the panelling, or leave that alone too? I'm not sure if anyone likes woodgrain panelling but if the rest of the house is not being updated, I don't know if it really matters.?
What condition is it in? I'd only paint it if it's damaged or has a bad, peeling finish.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,788 times
Paint everything neutral, with a good quality primer/paint. There are products you can use to change the counter-surfaces without ripping them out. If you can't pull out the mirrors without damaging the walls, use spray-on glass frosting to soften the look or even use a stencil with a strong graphic motif to bring them up to date. Take down old drapes (I'm picturing those Morticia Addams drapes with tons of layers and fringe!) and leave the windows undressed for maximum light. Nothing says 'an old lady lived here' like those over-fussy drapes and flossy shower-curtains. Err on the side of empty and simple.

Make sure everything is clean, clean, clean.Cleaning those carpets, even if you don't like them, will eliminate most musty/funky odors. Show off any storage areas...people often think older homes don't have enough storage. Make sure they see it if you have it. Garage or shed should be cleaned out. Play up your curb appeal with inexpensive pansies or petunias.

People make up their minds in about the first 10 seconds whether they're interested or just being polite. The house's first impression will make or break it. When you walk in, what do you see? If it's anything old or weird (like a bad chandelier), get that changed out first thing. Make the entrance inviting and you're half-way there.

Rust-Oleum Countertop Transformations® - A Revolutionary Kitchen Transformation System

Old 04-05-2013, 01:37 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
save yourself the headache, sell it as is, I wouldn't even paint.
i rather lower the price and sell it faster.

When it is time to sell my parents house, i am not doing a thing.
as is, and call it a day.
it wasn't mine to begin with, so whatever i get will be found money.
plus, i dont have the time or the motovation to do renovations in a house that I do not intend to keep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate