Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,562,095 times

Advertisements

OK, I have begun the hunt for my retirement home (retiring to DE).

I have to agree with those individuals who say a decluttered home shows better than an empty home. Furniture in the rooms helps me visualize how my funiture might or might not fit into a room. So, I can understand why realtors tell you an empty home is harder to sell. I also really like those homes that I have viewed with hardwood floors.

But, honestly what's up with new (cheap quality) beige carpet? Yes, it seems that 99% of the homes I am viewing with carpeting have bought into the idea of replacing their carpet with new beige carpet. First of all who of you out there living in a house expects beige carpet to actually stay clean? And who would choose to buy and live in a house and want to keep really cheap beige carpet? I would much rather view a home where the existing carpets have been cleaned - rather than replaced with new beige carpet. At least that way I would not feel so bad when I rip them out and replace the carpet with a better grade (non beige) carpet.

Maybe beige carpets appeal to first time (young) home buyers? Perhaps older home buyers like myself look for different things in a home? I seem to be more concerned with the age of the water heater and HVAC system and if the windows are builder grade junk. If the home has carpeting - just have it cleaned to look its best. It just seems so wasteful for the seller to spend money on new carpeting and to me as the buyer to tear out and throw away new carpeting.

And a question for realtors - if you have a house listed and it is viewed by both young home buyers and someone who is about to retire do you notice any striking differences as to what is important to different age groups? (Not talking about location , school districts etc., but, the actual house itself.)

Just wondering if it is just me - or if as you mature your views change as to what is important in a home.

Mary2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM

34,103 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
But, honestly what's up with new (cheap quality) beige carpet?
Yes, it seems that 99% of the homes I am viewing with carpeting have bought into the idea
of replacing their carpet with new beige carpet.
Same principle. Declutter extends into "neutral"
There's no percentage in choosing non-neutral colors or paying for expensive product.
Being cheap... no one need have any guilt about tearing it out whenever they decide to. Or not.
Simple, huh?

Quote:
Just wondering if it is just me -
or if as you mature your views change as to what is important in a home.
Nope. You're all alone. No one else's views or needs or preferences change or evolve.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:09 PM

15,584 posts, read 40,464,656 times
Well it depends on what kind of carpet was there before. Beige carpet is an improvement over blue or pink carpet. Price point matters in terms of how cheap that carpet will get.

I find seasoned home owners are just like first timers. Sometimes they focus on the systems and sometimes they focus on the cosmetics. Many experienced homeowners want a home ready to go. Did the fixer thing and don't want to do it again. It isn't an age thing. It's just a matter of what works for you with your lifestyle.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:40 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,130,830 times
Perhaps the beige carpet is thought to make the rooms look bigger.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:50 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,931,396 times
> I would much rather view a home where the existing carpets have been cleaned

You say that but it might not be true. Badly stained carpets- to the point where cleaning doesn't make them clean- could leave an even more negative impression.

A quick sale or a few thousand more would easily pay for cheap carpets. That's the calculation a seller has to make.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:20 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,234,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> A quick sale or a few thousand more would easily pay for cheap carpets. That's the calculation a seller has to make.
Old worn out carpets bring down the value of a home tremendously.
A few thousand $$ in New Semi-Cheap Neutral Beige carpet will pay for itself 4-5 times over.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:35 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,747,436 times
I dislike beige carpet in my own home. Granted, I hate carpet in general, but in my building, the bedrooms have to be carpeted - everything else is hardwood or tile (bathroom).

I wish I'd replaced the beige carpet in the bedroom before I moved in, but I was bleeding money from buying the place, movers, etc., so I figured I'd wait a year or two. But the beige just clashes with my decor. (My condo is decorated in 2 shades of grey & w accent colors. Paler silvery grey and a much deeper pewter shade, in the same grey-family. Accent colors are fuchsia and orange.) the beige carpet in the bedroom just looks dingy and wrong. I'll replace it one of these days...

In general, though, I think beige carpet can look dated.

Last edited by Wry_Martini; 05-19-2013 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Added forgotten word.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
When you tear out new carpeting, preserve as big a piece as possible then donate it to Habitat for Humanity. You get a tax write-off and they get new carpet.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> I would much rather view a home where the existing carpets have been cleaned

You say that but it might not be true. Badly stained carpets- to the point where cleaning doesn't make them clean- could leave an even more negative impression.

A quick sale or a few thousand more would easily pay for cheap carpets. That's the calculation a seller has to make.
rational1,

I must admit I was thinking of "non beige" carpets that are otherwise in reasonably good condition - would be OK with me just being cleaned.

My thoughts being that regardless of the paint colors on the walls or the rug color in the house there is a good chance that they will not be my choice of colors. So, the walls will get painted and the rugs replaced. There is just something that feels so wasteful about tearing out brand new carpet. I am big on recycling rather than throwing away - wonder if there is a recycle market for "almost new" beige carpeting?

I do see it as a positive when viewing a home and the home has something other than carpeting on the floors. If you have hardwood floors it is easy enough to add an oriental rug if you prefer the feel of carpet.

Another thing I do find as a positive is the absense of wallpaper in a home. Perhaps this is because I know how hard it can be to remove wallpaper if it was not applied correctly. I would rather see paint on the walls - not wallpaper.

The next 6 months of house hunting should be interesting - although if HGTV is any indication of what every buyer is looking for I may not be your typical buyer - at least when it comes to beige carpeting.

Mary2014

Old 05-19-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
When you tear out new carpeting, preserve as big a piece as possible then donate it to Habitat for Humanity. You get a tax write-off and they get new carpet.
SouthernBelleInUtah,

I like this idea!

Mary2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate