Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times

Advertisements

What are your biggest turn-off's when looking at a potential purcahse?

Mine are:
  • The smell of cigarette smoke, cat urine, or curry (Several times I got to the door of a house and refused to go inside because I could smell one of those three)
  • Clutter on every flat surface or too much stuff all over the walls
  • Closets that are jammed full of junk or not organized ( I want to see how big it is, and having stuff fall on me when I open a door isn't a good thing!)
  • Pets not put outside or crated
  • Overgrown shrubbery blocking all light from entering windows
  • Dirty or stained carpets (At least rent a Rug Doctor and get the carpet as clean as possible before listing and vacuum before showings)
  • Advocado green appliances
My "turn-on's" are:
  • Smell of new paint in a cream/eggshell color (You might like your colonial blue paint in every room, I want something I can move into and change the color down the road)
  • Empty or almost empty closets
  • No clutter, minimal wall hangings
  • Sparkling clean--even on top of the door frames
  • Tidy yard with mowed lawn and trimmed shrubs
  • All the lights on--especially in closets--so I don't ahve to go hunting for them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Depends why you're buying, doesn't it? When looking at a potential investment property nothing made me happier than a grungy dirty place, that screamed "the owners don't want this place anymore".

When I was acting as a buyers agent I would be angry if I got to a place to review prior to bringing the clients and it smell foul. A ridiculous number of places do! Ugh!

One "turn-on" is house sited for decent views, or at least the POTENTIAL for decent views. I can't tell you how many times I have seen buyers MELT at a view of a beautiful yard. Not enough homeowners give much thought to what they can do to improve things. When a window opens onto a weedy, clutter filled view it sorta "kills" even a nice tidy room, but when it frames a scene that people want to be cast in a sale often happens extra quick.

One thing that I liked no matter what is MATURE TREES. There is almost nothing to make up for decades of good growth (unless you are talking about the economy and then all you need is a few months of political campaigning, idiot deal makers and a hyperbole-addled press...)

Old 11-25-2008, 10:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
I can look past all sorts of things . . . the only thing that really disgusts me is - filth. I can handle the rest, but nastiness . . . that is something I cannot handle. Clutter, some dust, disorganization, bad decorating, lousy landscaping . . . I can look past all that stuff, if the price and location are right.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:52 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I can look past all sorts of things . . . the only thing that really disgusts me is - filth. I can handle the rest, but nastiness . . . that is something I cannot handle. Clutter, some dust, disorganization, bad decorating, lousy landscaping . . . I can look past all that stuff, if the price and location are right.

And since anifani is like probably 99% of buyers that is why "investment buyers" love those filthy places!!!

Another good one is a place that has been vacant so long there are SPIDER WEBS all over -- people HATE SPIDERS. I spray the place down and instantly could make a few thousand dollars...

Old 11-25-2008, 10:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
And since anifani is like probably 99% of buyers that is why "investment buyers" love those filthy places!!!

Another good one is a place that has been vacant so long there are SPIDER WEBS all over -- people HATE SPIDERS. I spray the place down and instantly could make a few thousand dollars...
Hey, Chet! Well, if I were buying for investment reasons, even the filth wouldn't bother me. Even spiders and snakes wouldn't bother me. When it comes to turning a profit . . . totally different than purchasing a home that I will need to quickly move into.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:58 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,240,440 times
Things I look for:

A roof that does not need to be replaced
Plumbing that does not need to be repaired/replaced
Electric that does not run through fuses
Windows that function correctly
Floors that do not feel like I am going to fall through due to water/termite damage

Things I cringe when I see:

Large trees with huge branches hanging over the house
Water stains on ceilings/under windows
Window unit air conditioners
Neighbors who's yard looks like Sanford & Son

Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Turn-offs for me are things I can't change at a reasonable expense: No closets, a tiny bathroom, a small yard, etc.

But anyone can clean the house, paint the walls, and even buy new appliances.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hey, Chet! Well, if I were buying for investment reasons, even the filth wouldn't bother me. Even spiders and snakes wouldn't bother me. When it comes to turning a profit . . . totally different than purchasing a home that I will need to quickly move into.
Exactly. With an investment property I generally expect to rip out all carpeting, drywall, even floorboards before resale, so odors and stains and filth aren't as important. In that case the neighborhood and overal structure are key.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,801 times
Turnoffs: Too high a price for the house. Any signs of prolonged neglect. Contractor-grade anonymous everything installed everywhere-- I'd rather have the 70's kitchen than 9" tile, busy granite counter top, Pergo floor kitchen.

Turn ons: A place that looks like a real family lives there. Personality. Love. Warmth. Dated is fine if loved and maintained. A good garden also tells me the homeowners cared. Enthusiasm always shines through in the details.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
If the neighborhood has alot of foreclosurers or looks like it is being abnadoned by the builder(s).That is a alarm .Means many will be bought by investor types not families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate